The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
mechanixman

How to paint

I'm working on the speaker grill and glove box door for my 52.
I bead blasted both pieces, primed them, and shot a coat of Dupli-color's Chrome paint on them. I want to paint the dash color in between the rails, and the Chevrolet on the top rail.
I figured I could tape off the rails and around the letters, but I'm almost certain that I'll get over spray if I do. I was wondering if anyone had a bright idea on how to do this.
Thanks

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
mechanixman

Re: How to paint

Basically, I would like to do this.
I was thinking about maybe using an eyedropper to drop some pain in the letters, and hopefully, the indentation in the letters is deep enough that the paint doesn't spill over.
Attached Images

Projects:
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
opc patrick

I am sure by now you have figured it out, but the method I used in the past with Airstream lettering Was to paint it without tape. Then lay a cotton rag down with thinner on it... rub the chrome part against it. If the rag is flat and tight it want get into the groves and only remove paint from the chrome.
opc patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
OrrieG

he used chrome paint so the thinner will pull it too. Pin stripping brush, hot shot paint and practice works for small areas like trim.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
59stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
he used chrome paint so the thinner will pull it too. Pin stripping brush, hot shot paint and practice works for small areas like trim.
Agreed. Get a good brush with lots of patience and practice. I found my own little trick for the letters. If you can lay it flat, use a razor blade and dip the edge in the paint and then carefully touch the center of the letters and it will usually not run over if your carefull. Move the razor blade around and up to the edges if the letter. It works good as long as the letters are indented a bit. If you use an eye dropper, it will just run over, you need the brush or razor blade.

Another way...which I think is harder and more time consuming is to mask the whole thing and use a razor blade to cut out the areas you want painted. Most the time is masking. You could then spray this way. But I would still use a brush on the lettering.
59stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
OrrieG

Not good memory, just did not notice that the first two posts were from March and read the whole thing.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Not good memory, just did not notice that the first two posts were from March and read the whole thing.
Still good info for people searching in the future. I've also done this by putting a little "one shot lettering paint" in the center of the letter and motivating it around the letter with the fine tip on a round tooth pick. Worked pretty good
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
mechanixman

OrrieG
I can't believe you remembered!
Thanks for the tip.
I already have a stainless steel golve box door and top and bottom trim pieces. I'm going to try and find a ss speaker grill. If not, my local powdercoater has a chrome paint. I'd really like to stay away from that paint. It's pretty thin.

Projects: