The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
alabama1949chevy

My first Restoration...Where to start?

Everyone,

This is going to be my first restoration. I've always helped buddy's with their builds, but this will be my first. I found this 1949 Chevy 3100 in the woods while on a whitetail deer hunt on family property (lets just say i didn't do much hunting that day). It just so happens to be my wife's Great Grandfather's. From what I can tell, the frame actually looks to be in decent shape! With all of the wet weather we have had the past few months down south i'm going to need to wait a while for the mud to dry up before I can get it out of the woods and back to the house.

I am looking for ideas on where to start. I know that the first order of business is going to be to get the cab and such off the frame before I blast it.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!
Attached Images

alabama1949chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Coach529

Re: My first Restoration...Where to start?

It is an elephant.....you just have to eat it piece by piece!!

You are in a good place. There is a ton of great info here.

What are your plans?

Nice truck BTW.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
jmsaunders

I've been told it depends on your goal for the truck. If its a daily driver then do go, stop and steer first. If complete resto dissassemble and start with frame and suspension.
Posted via Mobile Device

54 Chevy 3100 5.3/4L60E (Plan to make summer daily driver)
54 Chevy 3600 "Destiny" future project (Plan to build for my daughter)
72 C10 current daily driver
74 Nova Son's DD (His 1st car, we had to start him off right)
00 F*rd Expedition wife's DD (She's the trader in the house and doesn't drive a GM )
jmsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
alabama1949chevy

I do plan on it eventually being a daily driver (well, a few days a week at least).

My wife's grandmother, who "gave" (as in, it's still on the property) the truck to me has some pictures of the original look. I want to get it as close to the original as possible. I have found a 216 with 45,000 original miles on it, but i'll have to travel to the midwest to pick it up, along with some miscellaneous other parts that the guy is willing to part with.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
speesh

You have already started! You found the best source for info on the net, or anywhere. Just start reading and asking questions. The people on this board are great, they will help you in ways you can't imagine.
A few suggestions:
Find out about getting a title before you spend much time or money. Laws are different from state to state.
Buy a factory assembly manual.
Take lots of pictures before you disassemble, and as you go.
If you make a plan before you start, you might save a lot of money by not buying things you later decide you don't want.
Go to a car show or ten and get ideas of how you want to it to end up before you start.
Start a build journal here on the board so we can watch!

That looks like a good start for a truck, whether you restore it or hot rod it is completely up to you. Whatever you do, some people will like it and some won't, so make sure it is what YOU want it to be.
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
NEWFISHER

It helps me to make a list and tape it to the bathroom mirror and the dash of my daily driver. I put everything in an order of dissasembly and reassembly and focus on keeping each task SMALL AND OBTAINABLE. Example: Get truck on jack stands, presshure wash and lubricate rusty bolts. Pull box. Pull front clip. Pull interior items , mark locations and bag parts/bolts in freezer bags. Pull cab.. Each of those single jobs are obtainable in a short period of time. I cross off each one as I go and feel accomplishment. If I have time left over from one completed job, I start or even finish the next. It's a huge list, but keeping the tasks small keeps the goal in sight. taping it to the mirror gets me thinking of it for the day, taping it to the dash helps when running for parts etc. or working on a project on a lunch hour. Remeber, its just nuts and bolts.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
OrrieG

Welcome to the site. And I get to post my tips again (long)!

1. Document everything. I photo my disassembly. I now print out the photos and put them in a binder in case the original format changes (got caught on that with my first two year teardown on video camcorder format). On somethings I make sketches in a notebook to explain the photos.

2. As you take things a part bag and tag them. It also helps to clean as you go, so when you start reassembly you can just open and assemble. I store the individual bags in coffee cans by sub assembly (front clip, engine, bed, cab inside, doors, etc.). I have two big tubs, one for the uncleaned parts and one for finished stuff.

3. Keep a note book handy. Use it to document stuff you find is missing, stuff you need to buy, stuff you need to figure out. Buy a factory assembly manual, you will be amazed at how many small parts have been removed or fallen off the truck.

4. Keep your receipts organized. Never know when you might need to figure out where that part came from. I have an excel spread sheet that lists the supplier, store or shop; what the part or work was; and what it cost.

5. Do NOT track your time, it will drive you crazy and get you depressed.

6. In your note book have a section on your teardown and rebuild sequence. Note critical path milestones that will cause work to stop. Break down big tasks in to workable small tasks so you do not get overwhelmed and disappointed in your progress.

7. Look at the build threads here to get a reasonable handle on how long it takes to do stuff. It ranges from guys like me that are taking years to the pros that knock out a truck in 4-6 weeks with a shop full of employees and support suppliers, fabricators, etc. In my build thread I try to list the time it takes me to do something so others will have realistic expectations.

8. Ask questions, lack of knowledge is not a bad thing. It is better to ask and do it right than have to ask how to fix the screw up. This is a very good group of guys otherwise I would not stay here; I have bailed on half a dozen car sites because of the bs and back biteing.

9. Two signs I have in my shop “If you don’t have time to do in right, how are you going to have time to do it over?” and “Some people have a shrink, I have my garage”. Both put it into perspective. I was impatient as a youth, I now know when to take a break. It is amazing how clear some things become when you just let them sit and come back later. I have multiple task lists so I do not get bogged down doing one thing. I am currently doing final body work and blocking, takes a lot of time and can be mind numbing boring. I alternate one day for body work, one day for something else.

10. Buy good tools, crappy ones just hurt your body and mess stuff up. I have the same set of Craftsman tools I bought in 1973 (actually my third set the other two were stolen). Along the way I have accumulated more. I am on my third ˝” rachet under the lifetime warranty. Most of mine I have gotten at yard and estate sale, good tools do not wear out (my flaring tool is from the 30’s, I use my great grandfathers carpentry tools some from the 1800’s, and I got a great set of micrometers and dial indicator set from a retiring machinist in the 80’s for a song because the guy liked my attitude!). Harbor Freight has its place for tools that will not be used much. If you are going to use them a lot (die grinders, da sanders, drills, 4” grinder etc.) buy good quality. Same with expendables like drill bits and hacksaw blades.

Hope this helps and I did not offend!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
It helps me to make a list and tape it to the bathroom mirror and the dash of my daily driver. I put everything in an order of dissasembly and reassembly and focus on keeping each task SMALL AND OBTAINABLE. Example: Get truck on jack stands, presshure wash and lubricate rusty bolts. Pull box. Pull front clip. Pull interior items , mark locations and bag parts/bolts in freezer bags. Pull cab.. Each of those single jobs are obtainable in a short period of time. I cross off each one as I go and feel accomplishment. If I have time left over from one completed job, I start or even finish the next. It's a huge list, but keeping the tasks small keeps the goal in sight. taping it to the mirror gets me thinking of it for the day, taping it to the dash helps when running for parts etc. or working on a project on a lunch hour. Remeber, its just nuts and bolts.
I do the oppisite. No list no solid plan. I take everything apart and play it by ear. It always suprises me at how many parts I have left over!
Like pices of frame, wayward crossmembers, ECT.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
I do the oppisite. No list no solid plan. I take everything apart and play it by ear. It always suprises me at how many parts I have left over!
i used the mknittle method, i tore it down and scattered parts all over in boxes, bags and piles
i didn't write up a plan; the plan changed so much i would have been rewriting the plan 90% of the time.

this also might explain why it took me 8 yrs to get truk on the road

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
focusedontheprize

This is my take -

With anything, you have an idea of what you want the end result to be. It doesn't have to be specific, but I would first decide what you are looking to do. As much as I wanted to fully mod my '49, I knew my time table was limited so that kind of pushed me back to just building a driver. Are you looking for a full restore? A reliable driver? S10 frame or stock etc etc.

Bag everything, label, and take photos. A lot easier going through 1000 photos to see how that brake master cylinder assembly looked before you disassembled it then having to guess.

Like NEWFISH said, keep a good list. In the garage and at home I have a list of "To Do To Buy and Research"

Good luck. First thing though is get that thing unrooted and get some photos for us!
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
alabama1949chevy

@ NEWFISHER- My wife thinks it's silly that I for the past couple of weeks that I've had a sticky note on the fridge that states "order factory assembly manual". Guess what? I ordered it 2 days ago!

@ focusedontheprize- I also just purchased a 3 ring binder to start putting "MY" information in it when I actually get it back to the house! That's my first priority...to get that sucker home!

@ OrrieG- Thank you for the very informative list! I believe I'm going to print the list out and add it to my new binder!

@speesh- I'm not sure how to go about getting a title. I have the "bill of sale" but that's as far as I have gotten. Any ideas?

Again, thank you all for your words of wisdom as I begin this exciting adventure I'm about to embark on! I have definitely picked the right place to come to! And as I start things (like getting it home) I plan to document it to the "board" so that I can get ideas and just to show my progress!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Luther Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama1949chevy View Post

@speesh- I'm not sure how to go about getting a title. I have the "bill of sale" but that's as far as I have gotten. Any ideas?
Congratulations on the truck! I'm from North Alabama too. Decatur to be exact. You will not need a title to get this truck registered. Anything older than 1974 in Alabama only requires a bill of sale and proof of insurance. Since the truck probably has not been registered in a while it might require vin verification but it might not. My 65 Chevelle had been registered when I bought it and all it took to get it in my name was the bill of sale and proof of insurance. My 55 truck will require bill of sale, insurance and vin verification by the DMV the day I get the tag transferred over. All the vin verification is is just them matching the VIN number to the bill of sale.

And you have come to a great place. It sounds like if you are putting a 216 in it then you might keep the stock frame. The biggest victory can come from getting it moving under its own power and not neccesarily stopping or steering :P

I find great information off this site and recommendations from people on my build when I come up with problems. Good luck and try not to get overwhelmed! Its more fun than a gameboy when your out cruising in YOUR truck!
Luther Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
FarmerSid

Cool story about finding it hunting. A buddy stopped by before we went out to a rod and gun club dinner on saturday and wanted to see my 52 in my shop. I showed him and he said "I have a cab of some sort in my woods and it has the same vent thing in front of the windshield. Come take a peek and if it's any good to you, come take it." Well he calls on Sunday night and said that he sent me pictures. I checked the pictures out and its a complete 51 cab. All the glass is there as is the steering wheel and heater and doors. It's all covered in surface rust but I may be able to salvage a bunch of parts from it. If its too far gone, i will make a tree stand out of it for the kids.
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
pgf545

Sorry I don't know why but it doubled posted.

Bernie

Last edited by pgf545; 03-06-2013 at 11:59 PM.
pgf545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
pgf545

My advise is to know that you are going to have to do some metal work. These trucks are notorious for rusting the cab corners out. Our truck had been a farm truck that was mostly stored in a barn all its life and we stored it inside since we got it. Once I began working on it I discovered the corners were rusted out. Also it helps to have a good idea of what you want the finished product to be, but it sounds like you are already there. Good luck and post questions on this board, these guys on here have been a big help through my project. Plus its cool to watch what other people are doing and follow their progress.

Bernie
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
alabama1949chevy

Guys,

Thanks for all of the great information and posts! I uploaded the other pic i have so far to show yall what the back looks like. I'm going to need to cut out the lower rear of the cab because of eaten away metal from rust but as you go up it's in pretty good shape! What do y'all think?
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

Simple rules:

1. Make it stop
2. Make it go
3. Make it SAFE!
4. Make it cool

Since you're doing a full on redo this still applies it will just be more appropo as you get close to completion someday. My only other words of advice are, "Don't let your dreams overload your abilities, budget, or your stick-to-it-iv-ness!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
alabama1949chevy

OK...so another question of many questions to come I'm Sure! What would I need to do to get the 216 from the 3800 into the 3100? Is there anything I have to "add or subtract" to get it in or will it fit?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama1949chevy View Post
OK...so another question of many questions to come I'm Sure! What would I need to do to get the 216 from the 3800 into the 3100? Is there anything I have to "add or subtract" to get it in or will it fit?
If you are going for a restoration and just driving around town the 216 is ok. If you want a six that looks right then consider upgrading to a later model 235 with real bearings, better oiling system and better parts availability. Better yet find a 292 or gmc 302 six. Or you can use a newer model 292 or 250. Remember these truck originally were designed for driving around the farm and into town to buy supplies, back when 45 was a fast speed on the farm roads. If you plan on doing long highway cruises, look at a V-8. I grew up in the 50's and 60's with these trucks, ok it town, trips to the coast (50 miles away over the Coast Range) were tedious and you couldn't be in a hurry.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
pgf545

I don't know if it will be a direct fit or not, but just about anything will fit in there. We put a big block in ours. I have seen several LS swaps, small block swaps and I think I saw someone put a diesel in one. Might have to get creative but I am sure you can get it in there.

Bernie
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
mr48chev

OrrieG and Newfisher just about covered all of the bases as far as what to do.

I'd highly suggest investing in both the Factory service manual and the assembly manual as they are both valuable when working on these trucks.

Several Ebay vendors have the Assembly manual http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
It's actually a manual for the 54 model trucks and covers all sizes of this series of trucks but is pertinent to the earlier Advanced Design trucks.

Here is the search for the service manual. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...anual&_sacat=0

Most are photo copies and may not be the best copies but the information is invaluable to someone doing a full restoration.
It looks like they pretty well stripped that truck to the bones over the years so you are going to have your work cut out for you to restore it to show room original. You could get lucky and some of the guys who live within a reasonable driving distance might have left over stock mechanical pieces that they pulled off when they modified their trucks. You can't post a request without being a premium member and they can't offer to sell anything to you in a thread unless they are a premium member but one guy's left overs that are in the way might be your get it together pieces. If it were me I'd cover every inch of that farm to see if there are any other parts for the truck that are salvageable there. Good luck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
alabama1949chevy

@ mr48chev- I have ordered the assembly manual and am waiting on it to come in the mail! And I do plan on ordering the service manual but I have yet to do that.

@ OrrieG- I don't plan on driving any long distances...maybe once or twice a week to work that is only about 15 miles away...the reason I am gonna stick with the 216 is because my best friends grandpa has it and told me I could have it if I "just come visit"...so i'll take it! But yeah, I can take back roads to get to work so i'll won't be driving over 50-55mph...

Although, the dear wife did tell me that when it gets completed, she wants to take it to the beach...i guess i'll be putting it on the trailer to take it down there! HAHA!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
alabama1949chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

I'd highly suggest investing in both the Factory service manual and the assembly manual as they are both valuable when working on these trucks.

Several Ebay vendors have the Assembly manual http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
It's actually a manual for the 54 model trucks and covers all sizes of this series of trucks but is pertinent to the earlier Advanced Design trucks.

Here is the search for the service manual. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...anual&_sacat=0

Most are photo copies and may not be the best copies but the information is invaluable to someone doing a full restoration.
It looks like they pretty well stripped that truck to the bones over the years so you are going to have your work cut out for you to restore it to show room original. You could get lucky and some of the guys who live within a reasonable driving distance might have left over stock mechanical pieces that they pulled off when they modified their trucks. You can't post a request without being a premium member and they can't offer to sell anything to you in a thread unless they are a premium member but one guy's left overs that are in the way might be your get it together pieces. If it were me I'd cover every inch of that farm to see if there are any other parts for the truck that are salvageable there. Good luck.
I will be receiving my assembly manual in the mail tomorrow! I know you said that the book is full of photocopies but I was wondering if the copies are easy to read?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
alabama1949chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

I have a question about the factory assembly manual. For one, it's great! I only have one issue with it. It doesn't tell me what hardware(nuts/bolts/screws) to use. Do you know where I might look to find a list of hardware I'll need? Or is there "another" manual that will tell me? Please advise...
Old 03-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
99monte

I don't know what all the other guys are talking about,the FIRST thing you gonna need is a saw,cuz there ain't no way you can jack that truck up high enought to get it off that tree(first pic).
99monte is offline   Reply With Quote