The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
rs74

Project II

While my other short bed is at the body shop I pulled in my K10. Going to cut the frame down from a lwb to a swb. I don't think this is going to be as detailed as my C10 but we will see how that goes. I will know more once I get the bed and front end off.

I have a couple of questions before I do anything else. First is the corner bed trim pieces. I pulled the tail lights out and can see that there is a nut that holds it on, on one side. The other side looks to have a clip under it. The nut just spins on the one side and goes nowhere. Is the nut suppose to come off first and then it slides off the clip. Not sure how to take it off. I am scrapping the long bed but would like to take the trim off to put on the short bed that is going on it.

What is this piece that is bolted to the inside bed on the drivers front of the bed. Tire holder?
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
rs74

Re: Project II

Just looked under the truck for the very first time since I have had it. All I have to say is "why can't I have a cab that doesn't need any work". Both front mounts and support runners are shot at the mount. I was fine with cab corners and outer rockers. Well I guess that is just the way that it is.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Wellgeo03

Not sure about the corner trim mounting, but that bracket you have pictured is the spare tire holder. A rod runes through it from the back side and through one of the bolt holes on your spare.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wellgeo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellgeo03 View Post
Not sure about the corner trim mounting, but that bracket you have pictured is the spare tire holder. A rod runes through it from the back side and through one of the bolt holes on your spare.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. I figured that it might be that but wasn't sure. I have always seen them under the bed.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
rs74

Well I got the bed off tonight. The crossrails that the bed bolts go up through were all rotted out. When I went to take the nuts off the bolts, the bolts just spun. I had to use a 4" cut off wheel to get them off. I am going to try and start on removing the front fenders and core support tomorrow evening. I also have one of those big spring loaded farm bumpers meant for hauling wagons and implement trailers. It is huge and heavy. I will probably sell it once I see what they are going for.

The frame and underneath of the truck is caked with grease. Hopefully I can get it down to the frame by the end of next week. Once I can get down to the frame I will power wash it and then have it blasted. I started to look at laying out the lines on the frame where I am going to shorten it. I need to go back and re-read some threads on cutting a lwb down to a swb before I start mine. Not quite sure yet if I am going to leave the suspension stock or not. I have thought about either a 3 or 4" spring lift and run 33's. If not then I will leave it alone and run some 31's.

I also came across some numbers on the frame where I am going to have to cut out. Not sure if they match the vin or not. I do have a few questions about shortening the frame but I will ask about them in another thread.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
silvereagle07

I think the nut comes off first and the trim clip slides out. It's been a while since I removed one. I've only seen a spare tire holder like that a few times. Very cool piece. Hang on to it.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote