The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

I think I am going Full-Re****

Has anyone actually used a Jag IRS, and front suspension under one of our trucks? Or even a 67-72.

I saw one really cheap today, and it got me thinking.

I know the front end is a somewhat popular swap for the older trucks, and Ford with the I beams. I was going to use this front end on my F100, but went with a Crown Vic front end instead. So I imagine the track width couldn't be so bad for a square body. Has anyone seen a completed swap on one of our trucks? I have done a few Google searches, and couldn't even find pics.

Does anyone have the track width for these?

I am thinking a simple truck with more of a stanced look with a simple dressed up small V8 motor.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: I think I am going Full-Re****

Probably too narrow. I have seen them under several AD (48-55) trucks and they fit well under those and that would make the track width narrow by a few inches. I briefly considered a Tbird/MarkVIII rear under mine, but the bolt pattern issue turned me off. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I am going to my moms today so I will go measure one a pick a part. Originally I wasn't because she had a Dr. appt, but she was able to move it this morning.

If this is something I can do I am very interested, and if the rear ends short comings are not to bad maybe spacer wouldn't be so bad.

I tried the Ford on my 66 F100 which needs a new frame, and it is just ugly + heavy. If you intend to work your truck it would be fine.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
DREAMER1

I thought about this very seriously awhile back. I only found one 73-87 guy that's done the conversion. The only reason why I didn't do it was because of my lack if garage space. Here's a link that contains quite a few other links that may help you out. Keep us posted with plenty of pics.

http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewt...23839&start=15
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
meter swinger

I have one im about to put under my 59. I think it would be about 4.5" narrow than a c10 front end ( been awhile since ive measured). As far as mounting it goes the 28" width of the c10 frame would line up perfect with the jag crossmember. Not sure about the drop but it could be really low considering the rise of the c10 frame front end.
The big drawback is exhaust and steering shaft interference. The smog manifolds clear but it looks tight with the rear steer jag setup and most any other type of manifold or header.
If i can get some time ill try to compare my 78 gmc to the jag front end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by meter swinger; 03-21-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: info
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
lilpoindexter

DO IT!!!! That would be tight!
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

I looked at a rear end today, and a 98 I think it was. Is just about the perfect width for my goals. The Jaguar wheels are really inset compared to our truck wheels or normal muscle car type. So I found a 15" IROC laying around, and I figure it will be right at 67" wide. Outside to outside of the rim, and this leaves a good amount of room for 255's. The earlier ones are narrower, and have in board disks which would be a bit of a pain to deal with. The width can be done with 1.5-2 inch spacers, but I would like to stay away from those.

The good or bad thing about Jag rearends is that they are a swing axle so Camber, and Camber gain are fixed. So it is a far simpler install vs any other version out there I have seen where I would have to make its frame part of the truck frame to work. With the Jag all I have to do is box, and notch a portion of my frame. Then Bolt or weld the Jags box frame to my frame. Sounds easy, but it would probably take a day if everything is prepared in the run up. Also since there is no upper a-arm only a small notch is needed for around 8" of drop. At this point I feel the lowest I could ride with the rear end set up for proper geometry, 255/60/15 tires, and not cutting into my bed is about 4 inches of frame height.

As for the front Yes it does have some nice features like dual piston disk brakes, and rack and pinion steering. I feel the brakes are a bit thin for my liking, and I would be concerned that they would warp to easily with spirited driving. Jag brakes are either 1 or 1 1/8 inch thick, and the 1 1/8 does not have the removable K member. So I will just mod a C10 K member with the 1.5 inch section, and section the remaining center section down as far as I can go for extra oil pan clearance with a Z.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

So now that I finalized a portion of the build I need to get lucky, and sell my CL stuff so I can start this build. Or get more gainful employment either one would suit me fine.

Anyone think I missed anything?

Or know how strong one of these rear ends is?

I know they handle a 3800 pound Jag fine, but can they tow even a 3000 pound trailer?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Been absent-mindedly following along, but I'm mostly curious about this:

How was your original title supposed to read (such that it got "bleeped")?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

I personally bleeped it myself. The **** is tard or a reference to the Robert Downey jr. tells Ben Stiller he went.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Keith Seymore

ah - thank you. I couldn't imagine what went in there.

(...well...I mean, I could but just nothing that looked like it fit...lol)

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote