The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
sumtercleaner

name your American made parts

We all know so many of our replacement parts are made over seas. So what have you found to use on your truck thats still made in America or atleast in north America.
Posted via Mobile Device
sumtercleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: name your American made parts

I honestly can't think of a single thing. There's another reason why I like looking for original parts at the salvage yard or on eBay....
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Mr Handy

my snap on wrenches were made in usa and I use them on my truck... does that count.?
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Handy View Post
my snap on wrenches were made in usa and I use them on my truck... does that count.?
Lol. I was made in America, and I work on my truck. Can I count that lmao
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I was made in America from a mixture of middle, northern and western Europeans. [/smartass] But I'm ALL-American.

I bought radiator hold down clamps from the Chevy dealer and they were made in chinee, of all places. Quite annoying. It's all about corporate profit.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
JointTech

corporate profit feeds my 401k so yea Im all for it. Hmm should we pay a union assembly line worker $25+ an hour, and then deal with the EPA, OSHA, Obamacare and taxes? Or ship it to mexico and back? Are US workers really better? Dont you think they would use the same cheap pot metal and crappy stamps in a US factory? This isnt 1950. The corporate profit sneered at above would take place here as much as anywhere else.

And the bottom line is if you (generic you, calm down) have the choice between a $5 chinee (sic) part or a $50 american one; which gets purchased 99% of the time? A business cant run on the 1% of the population. There is no market for US stuff that costs 3 times as much.

So quit going to walmart, target, etc and go find US craftsmen and small shops to buy stuff from, then vote against the scumbags that put all the regulations in, quit paying your union dues and maybe, just maybe we can bring manufacturing back to the US.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
big d's red67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
corporate profit feeds my 401k so yea Im all for it. Hmm should we pay a union assembly line worker $25+ an hour, and then deal with the EPA, OSHA, Obamacare and taxes? Or ship it to mexico and back? Are US workers really better? Dont you think they would use the same cheap pot metal and crappy stamps in a US factory? This isnt 1950. The corporate profit sneered at above would take place here as much as anywhere else.

And the bottom line is if you (generic you, calm down) have the choice between a $5 chinee (sic) part or a $50 american one; which gets purchased 99% of the time? A business cant run on the 1% of the population. There is no market for US stuff that costs 3 times as much.

So quit going to walmart, target, etc and go find US craftsmen and small shops to buy stuff from, then vote against the scumbags that put all the regulations in, quit paying your union dues and maybe, just maybe we can bring manufacturing back to the US.
Could not have said it better myself.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Spartan

Quote:

My Mar-K trim was a little bit more but certainly not 10x's as much.
In fact after shipping only a few bucks more. If you're going to put down unions and the right to collective bargaining maybe we should repeal child labor laws, abolish the 8 hour workday (who only works 8 anymore anyways?) etc... The big three cut their own throats not unions, tho they have a part...we all do. Most guilty are the bankers with Goldman Sachs at the apex of the dung heap. No... Everybody plays a part and our choices matter. If I can I buy local and American. And I live a simple life.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Wizo

Here, here, from a 20 year Teamster.Local 174
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
jmking9

Just got a new dash pad from LMC that is made by Just Dashes in California. Their carpets and floor mats are made by ACC, wich is also American made from what I understand.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
GMCPaul

A/C conversions & A/C & heater parts, automatic transmission cross members, transmission mounts, Firewall grommets, all 1967-current lock sets, 67-72 gas tank filler grommets 1 1/2" & 2", firewall pad retainers, firewall pads, glove box liners, dash pads, arm rests, clutch delete plug, Blazer "B" Pillars, Blazer rocker Box reinforcement plates, Blazer rear floor supports, bed wear strips, angle strips, bolts, a/c condenser & dehydrator outlet tube grommets, a/c evaporator core cable grommet, brake rod boot, emergency brake grommets, 73-78 fleetside gas fill hose, blazer poly tank, blazer gas sending unit, all 73-91 gas sending units, 67-72 polished stainless steel tailgate handle cover, 67-72 Polished radiator covers, body bushing sleeves, 69-72 blazer cargo to passenger area step down patch, all wiring harnesses, turn signal switch's, carpet, sound deadener, wiper switches, wire gutters, electric fan shroud, 67-72 standard sidemarkers, 67-72 fleetside taillight lenses, 60-66&67-76 stepside taillight lenses, all 73up lenses, upholstery, seat foam, brake, fuel, engine & transmission lines, bushings, brake hoses in rubber & SS, power steering pumps & hoses, wiper washer motors, disc conversions, drop spindles, stock & drop coil springs, leaf springs, the list goes on & on & on. I've finished added to the parts descriptions on our web site for all our 67-72 parts pages telling which parts are proudly made in the USA
The only time I will not buy made in the USA for resale is if the import is better quality than the same USA made part which is rare.
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

Rather amusing to see this from 4 years ago. This was before I retired. Corporate profits and my wages paid into my 401(k), as well. I retired 1.5 years after this thread started. My point was that I bought a part made in China and paid full dealer retail for it. I don't like that aspect of it. The difference in paying a person in the US and a person in China is huge; meaning that there is a bigger profit in the part at the retail level. That's not something I tend to agree with, especially when the part is obviously inferior in quality. Also, plenty of people have posted in this thread that they have bought US made parts, and aren't complaining about the cost or quality.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:

You, and I mean you, couldn't be more far off. Sounds like you have corporate greed yourself. Same US made part for $50 is $5 from China? What are you tripping on? We are talking retail here, not corporate sell your fellow American workers out greed wholesale. If you need to exaggerate that bad you have no point. I don't see anything so much cheaper. I see the same prices or at least within 5%. Pretty much as much as sales tax we pay so corporations can get their tax break to enable them to sell our jobs out. Illegal immigrants coming over our borders to do work done here or manufacturing abroad is the same thing, and that is what is hurting us so bad.

I don't know how this post wasn't scratched for it's political references or inflammatory nature. I figure if it has been allowed to stay this long, it's ok for me to post how I feel about or children's jobs being sold out by the fortunate few.

BTW, to answer your question, I never sold out and will always buy the American parts, no matter how much more. Same with everything, whenever possible. Why? Because I'm an American worker who doesn't like hypocrites and wouldn't want to be one

I roll on good ole Cooper tires. Made in the USA since 1914

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-26-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Cooper Tires
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
jondancer

my gas tank, and i believe the ece drop kit.
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
sboris

I think all Sumtercleaner intended was to see if there was any American repops out there...
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Used parts. I plan to buy my side trim and bed strips from Mar-K,but pretty much the rest of my scratch built '67 GMC is from good used GM parts or N.O.S.

I am one who does not sell out on my fellow Americans to save a few dollars and am happy to pay more for American. Unfortunately,those who did fall for that helped to make it to how it is now where there is rarely a choice. The comparison is more like a $5 part made over seas costs $45 vs $50 for made in USA. I'll pay the extra $5 given a choice.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-09-2013 at 12:42 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #17
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Used parts. I plan to buy my side trim and bed strips from Mar-K,but pretty much the rest of my scratch built '67 GMC is from good used GM parts or N.O.S.

I am one who does not sell out on my fellow Americans to save a few dollars and am happy to pay more for American. Unfortunately,those who did fall for that helped to make it to how it is now where there is rarely a choice. The comparison is more like a $5 part made over seas costs $45 vs $50 for made in USA. I'll pay the extra $5 given a choice.
Amen to that! Truth be told, If you go and look take time to shop around you would be surprised to find that there is quality goods still out there Made In America.

You may also find that their price is competitive, And I not only speak of truck parts. Here is an example:http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.c...%20gender:mens
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
toolboxchev

NOT ever say die, just look around you will find em, here is another:

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/about/

I have a set!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
B. W.

I firmly believe in buying American if at all possible. I wear American made boots, jeans, socks & T shirts, I can't find workshirts or under wear that I like made in USA, if I find them I'll buy them.
OK, got carried away - as far as our trucks go, doing a compete rebuild/restore on a '70 K20. I have a spreadsheet of every part with description, P/N, manufacturer, country of origin, supplier, cost & fitment (if it is not OE to this truck, what year/make/model)
Without doing any math, just a quick scan, most of the parts I have installed are made in USA. (approx. 75%)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
71threequarterton

I ALWAYS check to see the origin of anything I buy. Sometimes we don't have a choice but when I have a choice, I don't mind spending more for something made in USA. My experience is US made stuff is generally better quality than stuff from China. What really grinds my gears is companies can print "Made in USA" on their products even if only a small percentage of the parts on that product are sourced here in the US. In my opinion that is being downright deceptive in order to win over the business of folks like me who try to buy US. I'd rather reward a local business than a corporation which tries to deceive me on technicalities. To each his own.

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #21
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
You may also find that their price is competitive, And I not only speak of truck parts. Here is an example:http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.c...%20gender:mens
On that note Red Wing boots and shoes still made here: http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/mens-footwear

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
Rufton

Lifters and pushrods for starters.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufton View Post
Lifters and pushrods for starters.
Starters use lifters & pushrods now? What'll they think of next?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Starters use lifters & pushrods now? What'll they think of next?
Yeah...that's one heck of a starter
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
BlackedOut67shorty

Tag on my truck says made in Canada.. I'm off to a bad start lol
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote