The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
BOHICA-Chevy68

Front a-arm abnormality

so I had originally thought my frame was bent, or twisted somehow. largely based on a uneven stance and then I found shims mounting the upper A arm to the frame. they were to extend the A arm about 1/2 inch. however today I changed out the radiator support, inner fenders, and passenger fender. every part went on smooth and with even lines. I've never had one go together so easy before. I used the orig grill. in my experience if the frame is bent, this easy assembly would be very difficult. so my question is:
Why would someone shim the A arm?

I got the truck with its orig 140,000 miles. it's a inline 6 and had some damage to the front pass fender and bumper same side. all the damage is long on the fender. no damage above the bottom of the grill.

on a side note, I love finding the stupid half a$$ fixes my the inept prev owner. if you can fix cars or learn to do it right, don't do it.
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
buckskins4ever

Re: Front a-arm abnormality

vehicles get shimmed from the factory for alignment. Even though your frame is straight...part manufacturing isnt a 100% accuracy procedure. Mine had 3 shims on it from factory and after lowering it it got a few more.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
BOHICA-Chevy68

I guess I should have used the words large washers. but I'm guessing they were added as shims but the prev owner.
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
SS Tim

Re: Front a-arm abnormality

Washers are good practice in place of several shims so they cannot fall out. The drill is to set up the alignmet with a shim pack then replace them with matching washers.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote