The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
TWIGGY'S 49

has anyone swapped a complete roof ?

Hi I'm looking for some information about changing my roof, i have a 49 5window but the corner windows are rotted pretty bad and so is the front windshield lip, I have another complete roof that is in excellent shape its been cut off below the rear belt line and at the lower windshield area. I'm looking for some info or pictures on the best way to do this, ... thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
TWIGGY'S 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: has anyone swapped a complete roof ?

Kabwe, aka Bam did on his Task Force truck. You should review his thread for tips. The size/shape is obviously different but the process is the same.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
RedneckRodder

When I chopped my '49 cab I drilled all the spot welds inside the door frame, removing the roof skin from the framework. Gave me a good chance to get all that rust out from under the seam too. Not sure if your door frames are damaged as well, but with the correct bracing in place it could be benificial. That would eliminate a lot of potential for flex, and bending the cab out of shape when you do the swap. Then you'd only have to clamp the "new" skin in place and plug weld through the holes.

Most important things to keep in mind: this should be done with the cab mounted to the frame, on a KNOWN level surface and brace the cab so its good and strong. Nice metalwork is junk if the doors won't close when its put back together.
Posted via Mobile Device
RedneckRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
TWIGGY'S 49

Thanks Dan in Pasadena, I did check that build out that may help ..thanks again
redneckrodder.. thanks for the detailed info thats great I started cleaning the rust around my door frames and windows checking for spot welds, any info on how to remove the belt strip off the back ??
TWIGGY'S 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
RedneckRodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWIGGY'S 49 View Post
Thanks Dan in Pasadena, I did check that build out that may help ..thanks again
redneckrodder.. thanks for the detailed info thats great I started cleaning the rust around my door frames and windows checking for spot welds, any info on how to remove the belt strip off the back ??
There's a horizontal flange welded inside. Stick your hand up under the inner roof panel, behind the stock gas tank. It should be about 2-3" up inside there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
RedneckRodder

The front of the roof is where things will get tricky. The A-pillars are a seprate piece from both the roof and the cowl. I wouldn't remove the pillars if at all possible. They are welded to the roof and cowl, but this joints are buried under a thick coat of lead filler. Remove the lead as safely as possible, and drill those spot welds too. The cowl can be replaced in the same fashion as a whole piece, or just patch panels.

Its a lot of work to drill all the spot welds, but its saves you from having to do a bunch of panel straightening later on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
98layinframe

Brace the cab your using in a giant X pattern below where you plan to cut so nothing moves or twists on you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
mr48chev

The Assembly manual for these trucks that you can by online show where the spot welds are.

One thing that should be added. get the cab square and line up the doors and get the gaps right before you brace it or do any cutting to remove the top. That goes not only for what you are doing but for those of us chopping tops on these trucks. It saves a lot of fighting with the doors later.

I'd prep the donor roof first to see the best way to take things apart to make it easier to put back together.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
buggy5872

Best advice is to measure it twice and test fit all the pieces before tack welding and again before final welding. Make sure you brace everything prior to cutting anything apart. Get lots of clamps you will need them.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote