The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Does your mileage decrease between seasons?

When winter hit, I adjusted my carb so it would start and idle properly. Now we're getting closer to warm weather, but not quite there. It can be really cold in the morning, and then warm in the afternoon.

I've noticed my mileage seems worse than usual. Haven't calculated it, but it sure seems like it. I take it this must be normal this time of year? Should I go ahead and just adjust my carb for the warmer weather, and then adjust it again once summer hits?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Does your mileage decrease between seasons?

people adjust and fiddle with carbs for the lack of anything else better to do

most carbs i've had were set once and stayed that way for years and hundreds of thousand miles in all sorts of weather
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
72chevyk10
I built it

my mileage goes +/- 2 depending on weather! usually get 10-12. 8 on freeway. 6 with high winds on freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
wgr2112
Account Suspended

Sometimes you can blame seasonal fuel blend changes mandated by the government. Alcohol content will also affect gas mileage.
wgr2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgr2112 View Post
Sometimes you can blame seasonal fuel blend changes mandated by the government. Alcohol content will also affect gas mileage.
Seasonal Fuel Blend!!!! that really gets my ass chapped. Does our government think we are stupid enough to believe this crap. The fuel comes out of a cold hole in the ground and goes into a cold gas tank. Where does this so called evaporation take place. The fuel never sees the light of day or the temp produced by the light of day. Another way to jam it up our you know what.

Sorry, i had to go off there for a minute. A.J, the biggest reason for differences in fuel mileage is engine temp and how long does it take to get to operating temp. Make sure your chock is coming all the way off when you are at temp. That will kill your fuel mileage and your plugs. Take a look at one of the plugs and see what color it is. Tan is good. Anything other than tan is not. Black plugs indicate rich condition which is burning to much fuel. If your plugs are tan, then there is not much you can do to increase fuel mileage from the engine side.

Last edited by TBONE1964; 04-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
people adjust and fiddle with carbs for the lack of anything else better to do

most carbs i've had were set once and stayed that way for years and hundreds of thousand miles in all sorts of weather
LOL. You live in Florida, where the weather remains much more consistent year round than it does in the Rocky Mountains.

If I didn't adjust my carb when winter hit, the truck would not have started easily or stayed running
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
WadmalawJoe

What kind of carb do you have A.J.?
IMHO, edelbrock carbs need constant adjustment. Other people will disagree, but I've had four and of them gave me grief. Especially the one currently on my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
LOL. You live in Florida, where the weather remains much more consistent year round than it does in the Rocky Mountains.

If I didn't adjust my carb when winter hit, the truck would not have started easily or stayed running
Posted via Mobile Device
lived in the northeast for 50years never touched the carb and wwent thru many blizzards and snow ice storms sub zero livin but only moved here 12 years ago

u know what they say about people that ASSume an dont know facts
fact of the matter is if carb is done rigth the first time little attention is needed
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
lived in the northeast for 50years never touched the carb and wwent thru many blizzards and snow ice storms sub zero livin but only moved here 12 years ago

u know what they say about people that ASSume an dont know facts
fact of the matter is if carb is done rigth the first time little attention is needed
Fair enough. Your posts IMHO tend to be a bit on the grouchy and negative side, so that's how I took it and responded accordingly. Of course it didn't help that I called the choke a carb lol. Anyway, thanks for weighing in
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
geezer#99

I lived quite a few miles north of you (central Alberta) for 55 years Mister-B in snow and down to 40 below weather and I agree with Cdowns. You don't need to adjust your carb come winter. You just need to make sure the choke is working, you keep your rad warm and maintain warm air to your carb. Do a tune up in the fall. New plugs, oil and make sure the block heater is working. Your mileage will drop due to the colder air and longer warm ups. JMHO.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Ok, I apologize for the confusion here guys. This is a pic of my carb, along with the yellow part on the side that I adjusted last fall with the help of others on the forum. Is that the choke? Sorry to say carb if I meant choke. That's why I was wondering why on earth folks were saying it didn't need adjustment

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
TBONE1964
Cluster King

That is correct AJ. That is the chock. In the photo, the chock is completely open as it should be during operating temp. If you let the engine cool off just as it sets and move the thottle even half way, the chock should set and be completely closed. The spring in the chock heats up and opens the chock blade. Once you start the engine, the chock should open about an 1/8 of an inch and does this by the chock pull off which is the pod looking thing behind the chock with the rod on it. Some of these carbs (quadrajets) has two chock pull offs and the adjustments can get very involved.

The truck should not be very drivable if the chock is closed while driving. You would also see some black smoke puffing out of the tail pipes. Check the spark plugs and if they are tan, leave it alone. It is good.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Spartan

That looks like the choke to me. AFIK there is a universal spec. for adjustment but I have to hedge my answer by saying I don't speak engine fluently.

Ethanol has less energy. With ethanol blends we literally get less bang for the buck and our trucks weren't exactly ment to run on it. My neighbor says he gets 5 mpg more on nonethanol supreme but he's also a douche bag so I take most of what he says as BS. My riding mower specifically states no ethanol blends too. Something to think about.

Hope somebody chimes in with teal solutions for you. Might want to contact cliff if you are running a qjet?
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
Mint68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
My neighbor says he gets 5 mpg more on nonethanol supreme but he's also a douche bag so I take most of what he says as BS. Posted via Mobile Device
I found this very funny for some reason. I would agree though, ethanol may be cheaper but uses more for the same effect as regular. I don't run ethanol because my blazer didn't like it the one time I put it in, just regular for me.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
geezer#99

Oh that choke!!
I can see you needing to adjust it since you're missing a few parts. Like the secondary air valve dampner and the choke opening bracket. Here's a link to what your carb should look like and some instructions on how to set up your choke. If all the parts are there you should be able to set it and forget it year round. JMHO.
http://www.vetteprojects.com/kstyer/quadrajet.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

On my side of the planet they are called primary and secondary chock pull off's. Becareful, not all quadrajet carberators come with both. The part number is on the body of the carb on the drivers side. With that number, a good quailified parts counterman can tell you for sure.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #17
PAWS 72

It does matter with mine. 10-12 is all mine will get regardless.

down hill, motor off with a strong tail wind and pushing it.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
On my side of the planet they are called primary and secondary chock pull off's. Becareful, not all quadrajet carberators come with both. The part number is on the body of the carb on the drivers side. With that number, a good quailified parts counterman can tell you for sure.
Thanks, Tom and everyone else for the input.

I realize mileage will go down in the winter due to increased warm up times, but I've noticed the decrease in mileage since it warmed up a bit and I don't even need to let it warm up for very long. That's why I'm thinking the adjustment I made to the choke last fall is to blame, now that it's warming up. To compound the problem, the weather is not consistent right now, so I don't feel like I can set it and leave it yet.

Tom, if you don't mind, maybe I can call you sometime to get to the bottom of this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Thanks, Tom and everyone else for the input.

I realize mileage will go down in the winter due to increased warm up times, but I've noticed the decrease in mileage since it warmed up a bit and I don't even need to let it warm up for very long. That's why I'm thinking the adjustment I made to the choke last fall is to blame, now that it's warming up. To compound the problem, the weather is not consistent right now, so I don't feel like I can set it and leave it yet.

Tom, if you don't mind, maybe I can call you sometime to get to the bottom of this?
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem, I can give you a call in a while.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I've had my Quadrajets rebuilt by the same shop forever. They come back set just right and I usually don't even mess with them. They stay on that setting for all the years I run that carb,through ever season. Yes,colder air is more dense than hot air,but the difference just doesn't warrant adjustment which could end up with a worse setting than before. Get it right and leave it is what I've been doing like forever and been a happy camper.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
yuccales

Mine gets worse on all three of the trucks because I let them idle longer to get them warmed up. I don't do cold cabs!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
Longhorn 70

All 4 of our vehicles get changes seasonally. 3 are fuel injected computer controlled and 1 Chevy truck. I believe it is due to 2 things.

1. Better fuel in the summer at least here. For a short time, we get much better economy. Then we need to run A/C all the time and air density decreases and mileage drops.

2. Winter fuel gets more alcohol in it. This is done we are told to reduce effects of inversion layer polution.

You CANNOT get the same energy per pound out of Alcohol as you can from REAL gasoline. PLUS the price goes up when they add more alcohol mix becasue now it's specially formulated fuel.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Take the air cleaner off and check to see if the choke opens up all the way once up to operating temp

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote