The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
1980Dawg

Considering buying a '70

An old truck caught my eye. Its a 1970 4x4 chevy swb stepside. Its in need of restoration and i have zero experience. I thought Id ask yall for help. What should I ask the owner about it and what should I look for when I inspect it? Thanks for any help.
Posted via Mobile Device
1980Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Considering buying a '70

Have you any restoration experiance? What are your expectations from it ? just know you won't most likely get your money back from the cost of fixing it. Other than that we can help and have fun, don't tear down too far , keep it drivable if possible that will help keep you fired up on it
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
1980Dawg

Zero restoration experience and little mechanical experience. I just like the truck. Thought it would be cool to restore it with my 5 yr old boy and pass it to him in 15 yrs or so...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
69GWC

Check the roof rain gutters for leaks and rust, check under the cowl for rust holes toward the outsides then ofcourse the rockers cab corners and cab supports.

Then just go over the rest and remember its a 44yr old truck it can have alot of small thing bad that can add up to alot of money to fix.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'll give a shot at an answer.Anyone "can" restore an older vehicle.Not everone "will".To do one requires lots of time,lots of learning and lots of patience.There are usually some parts that the owner doesn't "want" to do or doesn't think they have the skills to do to their satisfaction,these parts can get expensive.The desired quality of restoration is proportional to the cost of the finished product.You can build a nice driver/cruise night hauler for relatively low cost if you're willing to repair rebuild rather than replace parts.OEM used good parts can be more costly than reproduction.For a first time restorer with no bodywork/paint experience the body and paint will probably be the most expensive part of the project even if it is a driver quality restore.When you start looking to build a show truck,the quality and cost can go thru the roof.Also a factor is what style/look you're after.You need to make a plan within your means and stick with it,changes cost just like in construction of a home.Tools and shop space also play into this since you need at least basic hand tools to even begin and a secure place to keep them.Usually you can rent or borrow specialty stuff.Storage of parts also needs to be adressed.The finished truck will also need a place to be out of the weather.
So for suggestions
1.Get the best project you can afford bodywise.
2.Look for a complete truck,little stuff can add up quick
3.Make a budget,for time and parts,now triple it,now when you use it up either sell at a loss or quit telling your wife what you spend/spent.
4.A running driving project usually gets more attention than a pile of parts in the garage.
5.If you build it with your son,you will make the memories of a lifetime

When looking at trucks,walk away from roof rust and rust in the firewall,unless you want to do a cab swap,rockers are nearly always gonna have rust as are cab corners,and maybe floor pans.This is a place where every dollar you spend for a better project will save you $3-5 in repair(more if you hire it done).Engine,wiring and interior work are usually based on patience and money depending on whether you retsore or update.There is a list of build threads at the top of the 67-72 forum that will show you step by step what some have done to their own trucks to restore.Read thru some of them and determine if the process is something you want to commit to.You'll also learn a lot about where rust can be found on thses trucks and what it takes to fix it.do your research before jumping in with both feet.It will also help if you have a friend/family member who has knowledge and is willing to help you learn.
Above all,if you do decide to restore a vehicle be prepared for the times when you just need to walk away for a while or at least step back and decide if you're doing what you want to be doing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
MalibuVLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I'll give a shot at an answer.Anyone "can" restore an older vehicle.Not everone "will".To do one requires lots of time,lots of learning and lots of patience.There are usually some parts that the owner doesn't "want" to do or doesn't think they have the skills to do to their satisfaction,these parts can get expensive.The desired quality of restoration is proportional to the cost of the finished product.You can build a nice driver/cruise night hauler for relatively low cost if you're willing to repair rebuild rather than replace parts.OEM used good parts can be more costly than reproduction.For a first time restorer with no bodywork/paint experience the body and paint will probably be the most expensive part of the project even if it is a driver quality restore.When you start looking to build a show truck,the quality and cost can go thru the roof.Also a factor is what style/look you're after.You need to make a plan within your means and stick with it,changes cost just like in construction of a home.Tools and shop space also play into this since you need at least basic hand tools to even begin and a secure place to keep them.Usually you can rent or borrow specialty stuff.Storage of parts also needs to be adressed.The finished truck will also need a place to be out of the weather.
So for suggestions
1.Get the best project you can afford bodywise.
2.Look for a complete truck,little stuff can add up quick
3.Make a budget,for time and parts,now triple it,now when you use it up either sell at a loss or quit telling your wife what you spend/spent.
4.A running driving project usually gets more attention than a pile of parts in the garage.
5.If you build it with your son,you will make the memories of a lifetime

When looking at trucks,walk away from roof rust and rust in the firewall,unless you want to do a cab swap,rockers are nearly always gonna have rust as are cab corners,and maybe floor pans.This is a place where every dollar you spend for a better project will save you $3-5 in repair(more if you hire it done).Engine,wiring and interior work are usually based on patience and money depending on whether you retsore or update.There is a list of build threads at the top of the 67-72 forum that will show you step by step what some have done to their own trucks to restore.Read thru some of them and determine if the process is something you want to commit to.You'll also learn a lot about where rust can be found on thses trucks and what it takes to fix it.do your research before jumping in with both feet.It will also help if you have a friend/family member who has knowledge and is willing to help you learn.
Above all,if you do decide to restore a vehicle be prepared for the times when you just need to walk away for a while or at least step back and decide if you're doing what you want to be doing.

Excellent advise. The small things add up quick and know how and when to walk away when things go a little off. Approaching later with a clear head usually makes for a good outcome. Pushing forward when you are frustrated equals broken bolts, extra repairs and overall(haste makes waste)
MalibuVLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
1980Dawg

Thanks guys. I have a lot to consider. I will go look at the truck tmrw and hope its in ok shape.
Posted via Mobile Device