The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
414banger

does it bother anyone

i took my 65 to a local car show yesterday not expecting to win anything just showing it off alittle while i was standing by the truck these guys come by and says what is so special about this p.o.s. it just has a new motor and is lowered tell me would that bother anyone else or should i just let it go
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Re: does it bother anyone

Dont take it personal... odds are the guy who said that didnt have anything there.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWall View Post
Dont take it personal... odds are the guy who said that didnt have anything there.
I think you nailed it on the head. Most of the "experts" making comments like that are usually the guys who, "have something way nicer, but it's at home", or "I used to have one like that but it was even nicer". Watch them when they walk away and then see what they drive off in. Odds are, it's a clapped-out econobox parked way out of sight.

The guy obviously wasn't a true car guy. A TRUE car guy is respectful and not judgemental. If he doesn't like the particular car, he'll politely take a glance and keep walking.

Your truck is not a POS. Far from it.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
slepysal

Dumb people will say dumb things.
I had that said to me about a 53 wagon I had. " yea it needs work, so were is yours?" When he said he didn't have one I smile back.. " yea that's what I thought"

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
vegadesign

brush your sholder off.
same thing happend to me at our local car show.
made my day until they came along.
your truck is what you think of it, not others.
if i think something is cool ill do it and not care what others think

but if you won something i give you props, that means your doing something right
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564028
vegadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
TxRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWall View Post
Sure they did, They were in a Prius.
TxRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

They are jealous. Probably also have small schmeckles and only one testee between em both. So, don't fret. You got your truck and its the way you like it. Next time, hand them a testosterone patch, they will be less grouchy about 30 minutes after applying it.

Smile...its your truck. Let it go.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I had a '72 Nova in my early 20's, and had entered in a local show. When I parked in my designated slot, there was a beautiful Mustang next to me. Total trailer queen though. The guy was complaining loudly about me parking there to his girl. I calmly started talking to my car after a couple of minutes... "I know... I'm sorry that they put us here, not with the real cars" His face turned red, and the game was on. Most of the day was spent making snide comments back and forth. In hindsight, I should have just ignored him, but I was young, dumb, and full of spit and vinegar! LOL

I ended up winning a small plaque for "Under Construction" and he didn't get anything. Did a little Vanna White maneuver as I pulled out. He did not appreciate that either.

All in all, they are just jealous. Let it go, have fun and enjoy YOUR rig!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
jesseo

What is so special about it, is it is yours and you are taking donations for upgrades starting with them. Any cash will be welcome to make your P.O.S. even a better P.O.S. then they already don't have.

Yeah it would bother me but I know how many compliments I get on my primed, lowered OLD ENGINE plywood bedded POS.
jesseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
KJSR

There is always "that guy" at shows who has something to say. If "that guy" ever took the time to build something he would respect the time it takes to do so and wouldn't open his pie hole even if he didn't like it.
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
ol_skool_chevy

Was it a "Car Show" or a "cruise in"
I dont go to car Shows.......Cruise in is for just that...cruisin in...who cares what ya bring.....I just built them to drive them, Not to park them....I dont give a flyin' Ford what anyone else thinks.

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Indian113

I had a guy and his buddies looking at my 64 at the GG's show and MR KNOW IT ALL say's" This ain't nothing but a old farm truck" . I laughed and asked him what did you drive into the show? He hung his head down and left, his buddies were laughing!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I drew more attention with my bombed out, rusty 65 rat rod!! It was just fun to park it at shows, walk away and watch the crowd gather.. I heard the same things too... Don't worry about it..

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
414banger

Thanks guys it made me want to sell the darn thing already but its too cool for thay in my mind
Posted via Mobile Device
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
MARTYZ

Hey atleast they are talking about your truck, the next guy will love it. Even if it is perfect someone won't like the color or the wheels something. Good or bad feedback you got their attention and that is all we can ask!
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Rich 5150 69

As said above, no matter what you drive, someone will pick it apart, I`ve been to too many car shows and listen to the bench warmers that walk in from the street from their hodas and thier 2013 whatzits and give thier buds all the advice on builds, most of which have never turned a wrench let alone get dirty...
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Lugnutz65

People who walk around and criticize other folks vehicles are usually trying to impress their buddies with their knowledge. THEY ARE NOT WORTH YOUR TIME! However, if you can't resist, play a little reverse psychology on them. Throw a few really nice compliments at the person making the snide remark. Make it sound sincere (make sure it doesn't sound sarcastic) and say, "Yeah, It's not very nice. It's not as nice as yours over there. Oh, that one over there isn't yours? Is yours here? No? Well, do you have any pictures of yours? No? Well I'm sure if you had one here it'd be much nicer than mine". His friends will probably snicker. You are just passing out compliments. He will probably feel embarrassed as long as you sound sincere. Good acting is the key.
Pride goes before a fall. Plenty of folks on this forum do awesome work and should be proud of their work, but when the work is of high quality it speaks for itself and you don't have to brag about it. People notice and pass out the compliments freely.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
creep
Registered Loser

Don't sweat it. The important thing is how it makes you feel when you're driving it. I was at a small show and was sitting in some shade away from my truck but could still hear three old ladies talking about my truck and one of them said "why would anyone do that to a truck?" I considered the source and just thought to myself "why don't you bring that up at your next bingo game at the country club, you old bat?" Made myself chuckle and I enjoyed the rest of my day.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
rustbucket66

Some good comments in here. I have respect for anyone who has their ride at a show. I really respect the guy who works hard on his ride himself, saves his money for each part of getting it to where he wants, and drives it unfinished until he gets it where he wants. Any dummy can go buy a turnkey showcar or truck, and not know anything about it. I am very amused when a ratrod is beside a billet and leather high dollar car, and people are walking right past his to look at the ratrod, and the guy has his nose out of joint because everyone is all over the ratrod. Very funny. Those guys usually expect to win something, and sit behind their own car all day, then ***** when they don't win, and vow not to come back. Wow. Next negative comment you get, say "let's go have a look at yours". When I hear someone criticize mine, I just say "you don't know the half of it, there's more that you can't see". Keep your pride, you represent what the hobby is all about.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
1964Chevy

Sure it bothers me. All the late nights laying on my back with some kind of truck fluid running down my arm, sleep deprived, broke...... But when I can get in toad and fire him up and do a burn out if I want, or just cruise, and know that I know every noise, every smell of this 49 year old truck makes all the jealous loud mouth punks (old and young) melt away.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
RANDY COX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
Some good comments in here. I have respect for anyone who has their ride at a show. I really respect the guy who works hard on his ride himself, saves his money for each part of getting it to where he wants, and drives it unfinished until he gets it where he wants. Any dummy can go buy a turnkey showcar or truck, and not know anything about it. I am very amused when a ratrod is beside a billet and leather high dollar car, and people are walking right past his to look at the ratrod, and the guy has his nose out of joint because everyone is all over the ratrod. Very funny. Those guys usually expect to win something, and sit behind their own car all day, then ***** when they don't win, and vow not to come back. Wow. Next negative comment you get, say "let's go have a look at yours". When I hear someone criticize mine, I just say "you don't know the half of it, there's more that you can't see". Keep your pride, you represent what the hobby is all about.
YEA i KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TALKIN ABOUT....
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
Indian113

I came out of a store one day and a guy about my age was walking around my S10. I said what do you think? He starts ranting about how some kid had ruined a perfectly good truck. I laughed and unlocked it and got in it- The look on his face PRICELESS
Attached Images

Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
gofastnut

you've got a sweeet truck! Don't let the bad comments of 2 schmucks ruin the GREAT comments from the other 129 great people. It's YOUR truck, finished or not, the way you like it right now or not.
Illegitimi non carborundum--Don't let the bast@rds get you down.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
Trsmotrhed

It's hard for comments like that to not bother you. I went to a small show near my house last weekend with my truck bed off. Hadn't planned on going, but changed mind once I got there. I have an LT1 in my truck and there where some low life guys there showing off their 30" rims and I heard one guy say something about my engine choice and that's why he sold his impala. I just ignored them. They have no clue why I have an LT1 in my truck and I wasn't going to even waste my breath telling them. I had numerous people comment cool things about the progress I've made on my truck. Enjoy your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Trsmotrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
Mack B

Don't let it bother you, enjoy the fact you ruffled his feathers enough to share his asinine opinion out loud. If I've learned anything about "car culture" in general over the years it's that it's full of posers, knowitalls, flakes, crooks and a**holes, learn to deal with them. I don't have much trouble with them, but then again I got that look that says I may have just got out of the pin
Posted via Mobile Device
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote