The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
luckyss

Braided wire loom

So I just got my ez wiring kit and I am thinking of keeping all of the wires clean using braided wire loom. Has anyone used it before when doing their truck? I am trying to figure out what sizes are best for grouped wires and ho many feet of each size I would need. I realize this depends on the routing I choose but just looking for an estimate if any if you have already dome this.

Here is the style I found:
http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/CleanCutSleeving.php
Posted via Mobile Device
luckyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
schurg

Re: Braided wire loom

I've used my fare share of braided sleeving...it looks so damn good. especially compared to typical flexloom or tape. as far as tips..lemme think..
first..the 1/8" stuff is just that...basically its for a single wire no bigger then 18gauge..maybe 16...if your patient enough to string it through. this stuff is like an infinite chinese finger cuff, you gotta slinky it down the wire(s). I'd say get your harness kinda 'roughed in' as far as what goes where and tape the groups together in about 8" incriments, then put the sleeve on. what I like to do is use a good electrical tape on the end to tape about 3/4" of the sleeve onto the wires...then follow up with heat shrink over abut 1" of the sleeve and wire...makes it look like a million bucks. the diameters are pretty spot on, obviously you can put bigger stuff on smaller harness but it can tend to get kinda weird if its too loose. there is also a woven sleeve material that is split down the length and has little strips of velcro along the split, so you can put it onto harness that might be hard to get to or ones that might need to be reopened in the future...I'll have to look to see where to get it...I wish you luck with your project though.

there are a couple varients of the split woven loom here:
http://www.cablemarkers.com/braided.htm

Last edited by schurg; 05-09-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: web linky
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
luckyss

Thanks. I'll check that out. Any photos of what you've installed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
ItsRandy

Buy more than you think you will need. The place I bought mine would only sell 100ft rolls. 3/16ths and 1/2in is what I think I used. A roll of 3/16ths was only $8. It was not the product you plan on using, I had to melt the end of the cut loom to keep it from fraying.
Buy several sizes of zip ties, I like black, they hide on the loom better. Buy several sizes of shrink tube, soldier and soldiering iron if you don't already have them, you can get these at Radio Shack. Soldier and shrink tube all of your connections.
Ron Francis Wiring sells a real nice grounding kit. If you don't buy one of his kits make sure you have enough wire to use for grounding...EVERYTHING. You can never have enough grounds. I have a dedicated ground going to almost everything on my truck, including the side marker lights, don't rely on the metal of the cab or frame to be a good ground. It takes a bit of planning and work but it's worth it. A bad ground will have you chasing gremlins in your electrical system for days.
Oh, buy yourself a good pair of wire strippers and stake on pliers (wire crimpers) Channel lock makes a nice set. For as much as you will be using them your hands and wiring project will thank you.

Sorry for the long post.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
luckyss

No worries on the long post. I have the tools but nice tip on the grounding I will check out that kit. Where did you buy your loom from, I am finding them for much higher prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyss View Post
No worries on the long post. I have the tools but nice tip on the grounding I will check out that kit. Where did you buy your loom from, I am finding them for much higher prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's a place called Cable John's in Ontario California, wholesaler, I don't know if the have internet sales. I always go to their store to pick up supplies.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Scott>72-GMC

Pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
skorpioskorpio

There is many different types of braided sleeving. I use acrylic impregnated fiberglass, very high heat rating and very abrasion resistant, the downside is its expensive and doesn't expand as much as others. Many of the types have fairly low heat ratings so be particular as to what type you use, some will start to melt at temperatures lower than it takes for typical heat shrink tubing. One that note, using heat shrink on the ends makes for a great look IMO, use it in combination with braided hose and everything is all very consistent and clean.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote