The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

How many of us are out there.

My son was at the shop the other day, and he said said something to me i have really never pondered on. He said dad i dont know how you can take a truck apart compleatly 4 years ago and put it back together now and know where every nut and bolt and parts go. I just said i have done way to many of these 67-72 trucks. Heck i dont not even label things, which i should, but have not needed to up to now. So how many more are out there.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
67chevy1series

Re: How many of us are out there.

i guess id be one? i started building the 67 in 2009 and its finally driving now. ive had it blown apart 3 times and then i put it back together. and i dont label things either i just remember what bolt goes where. not that hard with these trucks.... now someone that could do what we do to our trucks, to a 2013.... now that would take skill!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
tmc1986

i prefer to lose things or not remember where they go. gives me a chance to practice my swearing. kudos to the guys that can do what you do, however, you're missing out on a great chance to throw tools across the shop
Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc1986 View Post
i prefer to lose things or not remember where they go. gives me a chance to practice my swearing. kudos to the guys that can do what you do, however, you're missing out on a great chance to throw tools across the shop
I have been able to still enjoy those things which you speak of.
Posted via Mobile Device

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
dmw319

I hardly ever label parts. If its the wrong bolt, it won't fit properly. And if it does, the bolt that was supposed to be there won't fit in the other spot. So you'll know you got it wrong. Whenever I work on something I just throw all the bolts on a magnetic tray and don't think twice! And if you end up with bolts left at the end... you don't need em! And if you DO need em, youll find out in time

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
JointTech

half my bolts are mismatched anyway so the ones I cant clean on a wirewheel get replaced.
My bigger problem is some of the parts going back together like the ac/heater stuff. I have it all in a bag and am dreading the day I have to put it back together.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
weever82

I guess I am the only one that labels everything but it was my first 67-72 truck. The next one I won't be so careful. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I'm also guilty of not labeling everything I remove except for critical parts like valves and associated parts including lifters. Pushrods are place in order in a 2X4 with holes drilled and labeled. I do try though, but for some reason always wind up not bagging an labeling everything. I just finished a complete overhaul of a Perkins diesel engine for my tractor and wish I had been a little more disciplined in bagging and labeling.

Personally, I think it's a good idea if you're completely dismantling something you're not familiar with and that has a ton of parts.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
tlcrz1972

I do some labeling, and some seat of the pants piling. I've been messing with them plenty long it's just a big puzzel it'll only fit one way. Right???
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
cheyenne shortstep

I have put together so many "cars in a box" I lost count. Someone else took it apart 10 years ago, moved 3 times and sold it twice. They bring a car/truck and some parts in 2 boxes and say "that should be everything, how long will it take". My most recent was a 66 Mustang Fastback taken apart 17 years prior [completely], trailered to New Jersey then back to Cal. and moved a couple times on each coast, then sold. I do like to label parts/hardware but after so many "cars in a box" I wonder why bother. I once built a Porsche 356 Carrera plastic model I got at a yard sale with no instructions, 20 years later it is 85% finished.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
desertnick69

Quote:
Originally Posted by weever82 View Post
I guess I am the only one that labels everything but it was my first 67-72 truck. The next one I won't be so careful. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
On my 76 I did not I did on my 69, or should I say the wife suggested MAYBE that's why you have sooo many extra bolt when you get done. She may have a point?
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I don't label everything. But I'll also leave nuts and bolts loosely attached to certain parts so I remember where they go. When I remove a front clip or a fender or something of that sort... I'll loosely put the mounting bolts back into the correct holes where they belong.

Engine bolts are another story. I tear an engine apart and throw them all in a coffe can for cleaning. Then sort and reasseble later. Except main cap bolts. They are kept in order with the main cap the came with.

Funny thing is... guys my age (45) took stuff apart when we were younger and just put it back together the best we could. Using only memory and service manuals. The youth of today want answeres and a complete walkthrough before they get their hands greasy. If more cats would just get in there and tackle something... they would find that it is easier than they originally thought.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
westbrookw
LET'S GO...MOUNTAINEERS

I am one of these guys you speak of. I had too many beers the night I decided to do a frame off and didn't label any hardware. 10 years later and dozen of parts catalogs. LMC catalog came in real handy for figuring out how it went back together. I never understood how my own dad learned how to do this stuff, as he did the same with a 55 Chevy truck back when he was around 20. It's all fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
westbrookw
LET'S GO...MOUNTAINEERS

I label now. Too much going onto remember everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Sloan66

I guess were all like that to some degree, and we most likely have some other person to thank for it. Dad could take anything apart and make it work better, guess it rubbed off. Now I try to pass it on
Sloan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

When I was 14, I remember my dad pulling in the driveway after work, coming in the house, eating dinner that my mom made and saying, I have to pull the engine on the truck tonight and fix a rod bearing.

I remember thinking, I can't wait to get out there and start the tear down. The hood comes off, the engine comes out on a stand and the crankshaft is on the bench before the steam stops rolling out of the water jackets. There was no labeling or taking photos or anything. All we knew is dad had to get this fixed so he could drive it to work the next day and fix it we did.

My son now would say, "why don't you just get a new one dad" He is his mothers child for sure. Just buy a new one, that will fix it.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Funny thing is... guys my age (45) took stuff apart when we were younger and just put it back together the best we could. Using only memory and service manuals. The youth of today want answeres and a complete walkthrough before they get their hands greasy. If more cats would just get in there and tackle something... they would find that it is easier than they originally thought.

Gary
You mean you don't watch the you tube video first?

I take a few pictures of things if they seem very complicated, but it helps to have two trucks, so you can look at how the other one is.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
MikeyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
it helps to have two trucks, so you can look at how the other one is.
Yeah, I like having multiple trucks to use for reference.

I've been working on a 72 off and on for the last 5 years. Wish I had labeled and took pics
It helps to have manuals & catalog illustrations, but most of all, this forum and it's wonderful members!
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
Spartan

I'm a labeler. I label, bag and tag everything. Mainly because I have a bad memory, but also because sometimes I'm working on two projects at a time. Sometimes life gets in the way of my hobby (disease) and a project can sit for a year or two. I found by mistake once that some of my jeep bolts will fit where Chevy bolt should have gone. That was a head scratcher for a day or two. Still...wish I had a photographic memory
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Speaking of pictures... back in the day... my old man had a Polaroid camera out in the shop. That came in handy when needing a pic of something before you tore it apart. Helped you look at what it was supposed to look like going back together. Like left side and right side drum brakes.

The Polaroid was the digicam of the 70's and 80's.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

One day I came to the realization that I knew every part on these trucks when I saw it and what it was for. Then I thought about how I have held each one of these in my hand...many times. Basically,I have carried an entire truck in my hands single handed. Ok,not quite,but I have "handled" every part single handed.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
Shyguy

When my son takes one of these old trucks apart he puts all the nuts and bolts in a box or bucket and the parts on a shelf in his garage.

I on the other hand have to label and take pictures since I am not as experienced as he is.

I know for sure he has built over a dozen of these old trucks over the years and more than that 350 engines.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I put my hardware into a big box or bucket. I like to get them replated so they get all thrown together anyway at the platers. It takes a bit of digging at times, but its worth it to have every nuts, bolt, clip, spring and bracket new and shiny.

If anyone in the dfw area needs a plater, contact me. The shop I use does good work and its so cheap that anyone with any budget can afford it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
rusty68

i do not label anything and i have 3 different cars apart at the same time 68 C10 shortie 69 firebird a 67 camaro and last the barracuda but after 30 years of building or parting out your brain starts to remember what goes to what.. i think lol
rusty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

these trucks are basic the new trucks are a nightmare
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote