The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Dodger

Original heater on SBC

Chipping away at the little jobs as well as the bigger ones and I was sorting through the heater.

I've wired it and the heater has power and runs through all settings no probs although I haven't run for long enough yet to see if its working right in terms of warm air.

It's a 50 and has the original heater but the truck has a SBC.

As you can see in the pic, the two top heater hose inlet/outlets have been blocked off at the firewall.

It does look like the two lower hoses are hooked up OK.

Do you think this heater will work like this or do I need to re connect the top hoses.

From the diagram it seems as those hoses that are blocked off have something to do with temp control.

Any advice would be great.

Posted via Mobile Device
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Original heater on SBC

Had to think on that one for a minute. The top two are for the heater control valve.

Here is what one looks like. http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/50_chevy_pu.html I don't think I have ever had one that worked on any of my truck cabs that I have had.

The heater hose would run from the outlet on the intake manifold on the V8 to the valve and from the valve to the heater. My guess is that it leaks and was bypassed.

When I put mine back together I was just going to put a cable operated valve in the line. One like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/310234390594...84.m1423.l2649 That link even gives the original Ford part number so one would be fairly easy to track down through your own sources. Use the choke or throttle cable in the original position on the dash and you can open or close the valve.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-13-2013 at 11:24 PM.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Dodger

OK, thanks 48,

As you can see in my engine bay, the two lower hoses are connected and running from the engine to the heater.

The temp control valve has been bypassed from the "circuit" if that makes sense.

Do you think the heater will still pump warm air but because of this bypass, I won't be able to adjust temperature or will the system simply not work as I have it connected now?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
PurdueSD

You are going to have 180 degree coolant circulating through your heater core antime the engine is running. The heater fan is a separate switch. It will be like having a small radiant heater on at all times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSD View Post
You are going to have 180 degree coolant circulating through your heater core antime the engine is running. The heater fan is a separate switch. It will be like having a small radiant heater on at all times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly, I finally put a ball valve in the hose under the hood to shut the water off. I didn't have the internet to be able to hunt for the valve I showed in the other post then.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
OrrieG

Go to your friendly parts counter guy and he should be able to come up with an in line valve that can be manually operated or hooked up to a cable. I ran one on the truck for years so I was not captive to the stock 59 heater core. Flipped in on in the fall, off in the summer. Without it you will get heat in the cab all summer. Cable is nice because you can moderate the temp in fall and spring.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Go to your friendly parts counter guy and he should be able to come up with an in line valve that can be manually operated or hooked up to a cable. I ran one on the truck for years so I was not captive to the stock 59 heater core. Flipped in on in the fall, off in the summer. Without it you will get heat in the cab all summer. Cable is nice because you can moderate the temp in fall and spring.
The Ebay link I posted earlier in the thread had a Ford part number that should be good world wide to cross at most parts houses C3UZ18495A I see from the O'Reilly's site that they are available both metal and plastic.

Checking the LMC site they don't show an original style valve but show one similar to the Ford valve for twice the price and a simple valve that you screw the handle down or up on to open or close the valve. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=80 Items 16 and 17. I just use the LMC site because they have nice drawings and it's simple to navigate to be able to show something.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Dodger

Right, that would be no good in my neck of the woods during summer.

So the top fitting stops/starts water flow through the heater when you turn on/off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Atomsplitter

The OEM heater cores were never intended to be used with a modern high pressure cooling system. I'm on my second one but you can get new ones (Taiwan, Korea?) them off eBay for about $200.

Here's the cable operated ball valve I used between the firewall and the heater core. Just ran the push-pull cable to a bracket under the dash, works great.

Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote