The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
philB

Question power break booster?

want to add power break booster on my '69 c10 stepside w/sbc auto,looking at adds, differant sizes to choose, 7,8 9" single or duel diap., what will fit without too much trouble and give better breaking over the drum/drum oem, replaced all the breaks and hardware, does ok but like to add the p/booster, engine has good vac at idle, 20" mid teens crusing, have a new m/cylinder for the d/d on now and can that be used with p/booster or have to have new one, this is a great site for info without going thru the try and buy thing over and over.
philB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: power break booster?

The larger the BRAKE booster the more power assist it will provide.
I exploded a drum without power I don't know how much assist anybody would want, with everything working properly it should be pretty easy to lock up the non power drums.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
philB

Thumbs up Re: power break booster?

yes, I know but I think it will add some to resale after it gets painted, just didnt want to buy one that give trouble installating with hood clearance, etc.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
msgdsrf

Standard in 11" Single, lots available. Pros and cons with going with smaller dual.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
philB

thats why I ask for info. from this site, lot of good info to help not to make a wrong choice, but the smaller unit dual, 8" or 7", what are the pros & cons?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
msgdsrf

It's my understanding it is a combination of how they work with available vacuum and overall assist. Not just the overall assist. I'd go 9" if I went dual based on my 69 with an 11, though 8" will definetly work. I believe the single plays with my low vacuum (10)better than a dual of equal area so I'm sticking with that (for now). Stock vacuum, then I'd change it for a dual 9" and a tighter looking engine bay.

BTW, drums are always great at locking up, but it's modulation you're looking for out of good brakes.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
philB

thanks for the info, at this point I'll more than likely go with the 8", but do you have to go with a larger m/cylinder with the drum set up, not planing to go disc at this time, truck is going to be a driver & weekend show thing, lot of good guys with plenty of old school talk still there,