The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
hpcgmc

delrin or teflon between leaf springs?

I'm planning on removing 4 of the 9 leaf springs on my 67 GMC, probably every other leaf, in an effort to lower the rear of the truck. I realize that it may ride terrible, or may be ok - but for the price (free!), I'll give it a try.

A buddy told me about an "old hot rod trick" of putting teflon of some type between the leaf springs. This allowed the leafs to move more freely, and stopped alot of squeeking as the rusty steel leafs moved against each other.

I called a shop in Detroit (Detroit Springs, I think) and they told me they sell a Delrin, product, not teflon. I'm familiar with delrin, as I use it to make frame and axle sliders for my motorcycle. I called my local plastics shop/delrin supplier and they have 1/16" delrin sheets, 2'x4' for $40. Anybody every try to use this in between leaf springs to quiet the ride? I'm thinking for $40, if it quiets the squeeking, it will be money well spent. I'm thinking of cutting 2" strips the length of each leaf, sliding them between the leafs and bolting everything together.

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: delrin or teflon between leaf springs?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...64#post6107964

Funny you asked for information here. Specified what you needed and we told you. Your stock springs are rated about a 1000lb more than your curb weight. Pulling leaves will not retain load capacity or progressive nature of the springs. The fact that it lowers the truck at all proves it by giving more spring deflection for a given weight. Now in addition to making the spring weaker it is also less able to control the axle and will likely wrap under acceleration loads. To top everything off you now want to put a lubricating liner between the remaining leafs. This will further reduce the interleaf friction and dampening inherent to a leaf spring and increase the possibility of axle tramp.
If you want to carry a 1000lb in the back of your truck then get replacement springs or have yours dearched. In the end a axle flip kit is about the simplest solution and probably the cheapest.

Speedway Motors carries the spring liner material as well if you haven't looked there.
www.speedwaymotors.com
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
hpcgmc

Obviously I only hear what I want to hear - I've been told that before!

I've read and learned from all the great posts on this forum. I've decided not to use the truck to haul anything- I'll use my moto trailer for motorcycles, and I've got a 3/4 ton truck for any real work that needs to be done. Mostly this truck will haul bicycles and (hopefully) look cool.

I'm rationalizing that removing leafs will work by keeping 5 leafs, which many other C10 trucks seem to have. Maybe the spring pack won't be as strong or well matched as a stock 5 leaf spring pack, I'll just have to see how it works. Plus, I'm running a worn out 283, so don't have alot of torque, reducing the likelihood of axle wrap.

I had no idea that reducing friction between the leafs would also affect dampening and maybe axle wrap. That's the kind of good info I get from posting on this forum.

As for doing the axle flip, that's gonna drop my truck 6", and everything I've read says over 5" will need a frame notch, so I've decided against that as an option.

In the long run, I'll probably end up with replacement springs on a different rear end, with a more powerful motor and a new trans. In the meantime, I'll try some things on the cheap and see how they work out.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Be ready for wheel hop city... It doesn't take much.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
budman k20
1972 K20

All the pressure (friction) between the leaves is near the tips once you take the spring pack apart you will see why. I doubt if you cut strips and put them between each leaf that they will stay centered unless you have someting on the sides to keep them in near the tip of each leaf. Save yourself the 40 bucks and the time. Clean / polish the leafs real good near the tips and put them back together that's about as good as its going to get with your stock springs.
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote