The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
jabborabbo

An ignorant question regarding gauge clusters...

I'm planning on installing a gauge cluster in my '67 GMC - I have the harness in hand and a gauge cluster on order (both used OEM). The original owner of my truck installed an aftermarket oil gauge and ammeter on a mount that hangs below and to the right of the ignition switch - the oil pressure gauge is connected to a pipe that runs to a junction on the engine where the dummy light sender goes - the dummy light sender is screwed into the end of the junction, so both the gauge and the idiot light work, and I assume I can route the pipe to the oil pressure gauge in the cluster.

My question - does a gauge cluster also include an idiot light for the oil pressure? I kinda like oil pressure idiot lights - a light coming on when the oil pressure is low is more convenient than keeping an eye on the gauge. If the gauge cluster doesn't have an oil pressure idiot light, has anyone here rigged up one on their gauge cluster?

Thanks in advance for all replies, comments, insults, or whatever!
jabborabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: An ignorant question regarding gauge clusters...

There is no idiot light on trucks with factory oil pressure gauges. You could buy a 12v red (or whatever cor would catch your eye) indicator light at the parts store and mount one on yours somewhere though. Also, just an fyi the fittings on the aftermarket pressure tubing will not seal to the oem oil gauge.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Don Quixote

I actually did get the store bought copper tubing to work on my factory guage. It took a few tries and some hot oil on my boot but all's well that ends well. It is fairly common to use aftermarket guages in these trucks as the factory guages have no numbers to indicate what exactly your engine was doing, chances are the guage actually works as they are pretty stout. My own question is, what is the high psi on the factory guage? My 350 will send the needle into right field when I cold start it.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
cubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
I actually did get the store bought copper tubing to work on my factory guage. It took a few tries and some hot oil on my boot but all's well that ends well. It is fairly common to use aftermarket guages in these trucks as the factory guages have no numbers to indicate what exactly your engine was doing, chances are the guage actually works as they are pretty stout. My own question is, what is the high psi on the factory guage? My 350 will send the needle into right field when I cold start it.
Odds are you have a 60 psi gauge. They came in 60 and 80 psi, most I have seen were 60, I think it is stamped on the back of the gauge itself.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Don Quixote

I have had the truck 17 years now and never knew that. TATONKA!

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
TonyJohnson

I'm thinking about using an oil pressure / fuel pump safety switch and wiring in a red LED to it, as well. Of course I'll also notice when the fuel pump cuts off... lol.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
48richard

I installed a Camaro tach in my cluster, and it has an oil pressure light in it. So I tee'd into the oil pressure gauge line, and now I have both.