The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
mtnsackett

powder vs paint

I am getting ready to paint my OEM rims on my truck and am wondering which would look better and last longer, to paint, and clear coat them or to powder coat them.

has anyone else dome one or the other and how did it work out? are you happy with the results?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
74 stepside

Re: powder vs paint

Id powdercoat them. Its tough and less money. My friend has a powdercoat biz and he does wheels all the time. I think its better with wheel cleaners too.
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Powder coating is thicker and a lot tougher then paint so it won't chip or flake like paint could.It does cost more then paint but as long as its done right it will out last paint by a long shot.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
74 stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Powder coating is thicker and a lot tougher then paint so it won't chip or flake like paint could.It does cost more then paint but as long as its done right it will out last paint by a long shot.
When you use paint and clearcoat, that will add up to more than powdercoating..
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Aaron_L

The only down side to powdercoating is that once the part is in the oven and the powder starts to flow out, it can partially flow into where the center is welded to the rim. It doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't look so great.
Aaron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_L View Post
The only down side to powdercoating is that once the part is in the oven and the powder starts to flow out, it can partially flow into where the center is welded to the rim. It doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't look so great.
That's the coater's technique that causes that. It is very much possible to get it smooth. These are actually two stage powder, base and clear topcoat.

Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
88Jimmy4x4

dang those look nice
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Powder coaters are just like painters. You can go from Earl Scheib all the way up to Chip Foose. Different qualities for different prices. Never lump all powdercoat under one category. You get what you pay for.

And only hacks put powder on thick. Again, this is silver base and clear topcoat. Two entire shoot and cure cycles. And you can still read the stamping easily.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Aaron_L

Well I guess I went to a hack, lol. All around it wasn't a good experience, and I can't say I would go there again. What's really sad is I've been a painter for about 15 years & I could have shot them in bc/cc for next to nothing. They would look a million times better than what I paid for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter

I meant no offense to you as a painter. I just liken powder to paint that way. There's all calibers of paint shops from dirt floor to downdraft booths. Same with powder. You got the guys who do bumpers and iron fences all the way up to candy jobs with 5 different colors all masked and perfect.

I tell people to find the best powdercoat shop in town, look for the guys with the tricked out Hayabusas. They'll know where to send you. Those guys like the bling and won't settle for anything less.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Aaron_L

Oh I wasn't offended, lol. I was just saying it was fairly expensive to have my wheels powdercoated, and they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. If I had painted them they would have looked better than what I paid someone else to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
cedens

That settles it brownie is having her wheels powder coated white again.... also according to Ricks Restoration on the history channel powder coat is hard to blast off and makes a nice primer coat if you paint later!
cedens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #13
wraprail

Powder coat in the best way to go no doubt.
But if you don't have time to send them out, don't have the money or if you just want to do it yourself then paint may be a good option.
While I don't have stock type steel wheels I do have the Ridler 695s and mine needed to be painted from new. The front did not match the rear color. (Flat black vs satin black)
After scotch brite prep and masking the outer lip I used Valspar (Lowes brand) spray color 2 coats followed by Valspar Satin clear. Less than $40 in paint.
I couldn't be happier. And cleaning I use Super Clean to clean and the clear stands up great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #14
ninjaboy76

Powder coating will certainly last longer and hold up better over time. But I think if done right painting isn't a bad option. It can be done fairly cheap and look just as nice. If you were running larger wheels where there is more of a chance of curb checking them, then I say to paint them only because if you scratch them up or curb them then its easy to just touch them up. With powder its not a simple touch up job if you scratch or curb the wheels.

I rattle canned a set of wheels not to long ago and they came out great. I used one can of wheel paint on each wheel and a half can of clear. I never had an issue with them flaking or anything.
ninjaboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
mtnsackett

thank you all for your input, I have the ability at our shop to powder coat them, but everything we do is stuff that we make. I know that powder is tough and good for things that inmates will be using, but had no idea how well it would work on rims. so I think I will order the two stage powder and do them myself after I have them blasted.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsackett View Post
thank you all for your input, I have the ability at our shop to powder coat them, but everything we do is stuff that we make. I know that powder is tough and good for things that inmates will be using, but had no idea how well it would work on rims. so I think I will order the two stage powder and do them myself after I have them blasted.
Inmates? Your not making license plates are you?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
mtnsackett

No, I wish it would be faster. We actuall make kiosks for inmates to use to video conference with their families and friends from their cell block, that frees up prison and jail staff for ither duties while making money for the facility.
Posted via Mobile Device