The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
ubtripn

Would you do it?

I have a 68 LB that I have been working on for a few years. Fair pody, new paint, rims and tires.

New Radiator, water punp, power steering, front end, used 700R4, driveshaft, wheel bearings, re-built drum brakes, new carb, water pump, HEI, chevelle steering wheel, 3-point safety belts, new shocks and springs. Runs good but I just bought a crate 450HP 350 even though the engine runs pretty good. Have not installed it yet. (It was a great deal.)

Exhaust and ac are the only things left.

Yesterday I found a 72 with 84K original miles, four seasons air, disc brakes, basically great shape. No rust. Owner willing to swap. I have always wanted a 72. Yes it's a long bed too but I love it.

All that blood and skinned knuckles and now I am actually considering another one. It feels like an addiction.

I don't know what to do.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Would you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
I have a 68 LB that I have been working on for a few years. Fair pody, new paint, rims and tires.

New Radiator, water punp, power steering, front end, used 700R4, driveshaft, wheel bearings, re-built drum brakes, new carb, water pump, HEI, chevelle steering wheel, 3-point safety belts, new shocks and springs. Runs good but I just bought a crate 450HP 350 even though the engine runs pretty good. Have not installed it yet. (It was a great deal.)

Exhaust and ac are the only things left.

Yesterday I found a 72 with 84K original miles, four seasons air, disc brakes, basically great shape. No rust. Owner willing to swap. I have always wanted a 72. Yes it's a long bed too but I love it.

All that blood and skinned knuckles and now I am actually considering another one. It feels like an addiction.

I don't know what to do.
If he's willing to swap, what does that tell you? Yours probably runs better. IMHO, a 68 is more desirable than a 72 also. It's more of a classic. The 72's started to get the more modern things like the plastic door panels, plastic grille, stick on rear view mirror, etc. Yes, disc brakes would be nice, but you could install them on your current truck. AC is nice, but is that worth it?

I'm not trying to offend anyone with a 71 or 72. They are great trucks. That being said, this guy with the 72 probably sees what I see
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
ubtripn

I do see your point. I like the all metal aspect of my 68, this one is just in such great shape. I should have said she. He husband RIP owned it, one owner and he did a good job of it. She was going to give it to her Grandson but then he saw my truck.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
I do see your point. I like the all metal aspect of my 68, this one is just in such great shape. I should have said she. He husband RIP owned it, one owner and he did a good job of it. She was going to give it to her Grandson but then he saw my truck.
Ok, now this changes things. She probably doesn't know much about the mechanical aspect, so take that off the table. She may just really like the look of your truck. My opinion still stands that a 68 is more of a classic.

This could actually be a really good deal for you, given the situation. Keep in mind though, where she's a widow, you may feel obligated to be her on call free mechanic every time there's an issue with your old truck. That'll get old quick, unless she's a great cook and dating material lol

Edit. Just noticed this is for her grandson. Hell, if you've always wanted one, this could be a sweet deal. Maybe you can post pics of both?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
ubtripn

Its funny you mention the mirror, I actually thought of that.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
sboris

Yes you have the bug.... Sounds like your 68 is nice. I would prefer the 68 over 72 but that's me. The 72 sounds nice too. No rust? That's huge. Check it over EXTREMELY well. And the air works? If that's what you you've always wanted then roll with it assuming the condition makes it fair. Why sweat over one your not passionate about? Of coarse I would try to figure out why this guy is so eager to trade...? Has he always wanted a 68? Is your truck better mechanically or maybe his has hidden rust. Check it out..
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Keep the 68 buy the 72, problem solved.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I should have thought of that^^^ ! Solved!
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Lol. Not likely to happen. Besides the obvious money hurdle, the truck is for this lady's grandson.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
ubtripn

Yeah, my stomach is hurtin for certain. I am going to go back and get some pics to post. I like my 68 but I had to pound that truck into good condition. Literally seems like I have replaced EVERYTHING but the block.

The 72 has air and it hit 109 in Boise the other day. THEN add to it my broken window regulator. I went to get one from the junkyard and they squashed all the 67-72s! I could not believe it.

I will get more pics but she is nice. some wear but nice. my dream is to have a truck that looks a little worn but is mechanically new. This one looks nicer than that though.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yeah, my stomach is hurtin for certain. I am going to go back and get some pics to post. I like my 68 but I had to pound that truck into good condition. Literally seems like I have replaced EVERYTHING but the block.

The 72 has air and it hit 109 in Boise the other day. THEN add to it my broken window regulator. I went to get one from the junkyard and they squashed all the 67-72s! I could not believe it.

I will get more pics but she is nice. some wear but nice. my dream is to have a truck that looks a little worn but is mechanically new. This one looks nicer than that though.
Yeah, it's 109, but that's unusual. Besides, fall will be here before you know it and you'll forget all about the heat. Make a long term decision
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Tinkermc

what I would do or anyelse for that matter really doesn't make any dirrerance. You must be happy in the end, you deserve which ever one you want, after all either 1 will be the fruits of your labor. So go on BE Happy.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
ubtripn

very true.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
tony58

Hope you're keeping your new crate motor.
Sounds a little strange, to the casual observer there is little difference between 68-72, so why doesn't she give the 72 to the grand son? Otherwise if it's what you like and it's truly turn key then do it, just look under all the rocks first.
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
sKnNyPpY

I think the kid needs to get Grampa's truck, but why is he looking to get rid of it before it's even his? He will be on the phone to you any time your old truck doesn't start, too. My PO is lucky, he didn't do any of the work to it!
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Tillik

I wouldn't trade my 67-Small Window for a 72. Then again I own a 71 4X4. I love the slantnose so much, I may find one for my 71. Good Luck!
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
briank

I may have missed it but is the 72 a driver? If so , Id say its a no brainer...swap.Im in the minority, I like 69-72, not crazy on the 67/68's.
Posted via Mobile Device
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
ubtripn

72 is a driver. I have never swapped titles before and to be honest I have kind of enjoyed approaching the light at the end of the tunnel on working on my truck. I had already made up my mind that IF I ever restore another vehicle it will have to be a 66 GTO. Then I would have one of the best trucks and one of the best cars. If I traded the motor I just bought would stay with me. I am still just very torn but its a good problem to have I guess.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
JointTech

i like the 72 better than the 68. But I like the 69 better than both those. But even if I was offered a swap for the same or better condition 69 I wouldnt do it. I know everything I've done to this truck. I dont know how well the other guy did his. I know (for the most part) what the different noises and rattles are and what I need to work on next. Just starting over would suck.

But Im already looking for a 69 to buy. If the wife would just park on the street so I can have the garage...
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
I know everything I've done to this truck. I dont know how well the other guy did his.
This is the best point..
You worked hard to build your 1968.. KEEP IT.
It's not like '72s are rare..another will be along in a while, and at a decent price.
Besides, there's not one person on here that sweated over a car/truck only to sell/trade it..and didn't regret it later.

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
i like the 72 better than the 68. But I like the 69 better than both those. But even if I was offered a swap for the same or better condition 69 I wouldnt do it. I know everything I've done to this truck. I dont know how well the other guy did his. I know (for the most part) what the different noises and rattles are and what I need to work on next. Just starting over would suck.

But Im already looking for a 69 to buy. If the wife would just park on the street so I can have the garage...
Yeah, 69's are cool. I'm of course biased, where I own one, but I really like the combination of the grille, bull nosed hood with bow tie emblem, round mirrors, different paint options, door panels, etc.

What are your reasons?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I would keep it, shorten it, slam it, put the crate in and go cruzin. But that's just me.
...your dog is still better lookin than my 2nd wife.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
tlcrz1972

First off how about some pictures.

Now is this a Cheyenne packaged truck or a c/10 or a custom deluxe etc. that makes a lot of difference?

I'm a 71-72 guy, because of the pluses. 5 lug, disc brake, more refined, better looking factory paint schemes, more updated classic trim packages, better looking grill etc.

Slant nose not a big fan, but each to their own on that.

I get all the BST you put into the 68. But if your upgrading in the overall truck, even with a few potential unseen problems, that sounds like the better deal for you.

Now really look the 72 over, they claim it to be 84,000 mile original now does the truck support those claims. Can they point you to someone who knows this truck from way back that you can talk to.

If this truck is what they say jump on it now, I'd give a certain part of my anatomy to have a clean low mileage truck that I could do things to and with my past experience with these trucks do it better the next time around.

In the end it's your decision that you will have to live with.

Good luck
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Tough decision. It almost sounds, though, like you would be trading up. I love my '72. I've told my wife many times, this is the last truck I'll ever own. If there are no family ties to your current truck, I would consider it.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Yeah, 69's are cool. I'm of course biased, where I own one, but I really like the combination of the grille, bull nosed hood with bow tie emblem, round mirrors, different paint options, door panels, etc.

What are your reasons?
Posted via Mobile Device
The grill. I love that big chevrolet on steel across the middle.

Those trucks look really good lowered with a shortbed and that frontend. and my next project is going to be a "modern" 69 that drives like a car. Just need some garage space which I wont get till next october when my office lease ends.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote