The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Jbcourt

Removing 72 K20 running gear/ Need some good advice

Truck specs; 1972 K20, rebuilt SB350ci with 200 miles on it, TH350 Trans (shift kit) unknown mileage, works great, shifts fine. Transfer case must be a 205 because its case iron, the rear diff looks to be an Eaton.

This weekend I need to drop the transmission, transfer case (of course) and reseal the rear differential. The truck has been sitting in a garage for 16 years and is leaking from those there units.

I hoping someone could give me some advice and or tips and tricks on what to look out for and any special tools or jacks etc…. I have not removed the running gear of a vehicle in probably 21 years.

Tools I have; big two car garage, tranny jack, Jacks and lots of tools and help.

The transmission is leaking, but from where it’s hard to tell. Could be front seal, back and pan. The transmission is strong; shifts great, has a shift kit.
Should I have the transmission rebuilt or just seal her up?

The Transfer case is clean from grime, but soaked with ATF from the transmission and I’m sure from its own leaks. I would like to buy a gasket kit and seal it up.
Anything I should look out for when sealing up a transfer case?

The Rear differential drips oil too, I thought it could be from ATF running down the drive shaft from the Tranny and trans case. I’ve seen that before on other vehicles. And yes I have wiped the rear diff down with a rag, waited to see where the oil was coming from, but it looked liked it came from everywhere. So I will buy a gasket kit for it also.

John
Old 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Removing 72 K20 running gear/ Need some good advice

Might want to start with the factory manuals for some guidance. Workable copies can be downloaded here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016

In 72, the optional K20 350/auto drivetrain would be 350/TH350/NP205/HO52 w/4.10 gears.

On the leaks, if you can take it to a quarter car wash and flush the underside as much as you can bumper to bumper. Cleaner is easer to diagnose and much nicer to work on. The trans probably needs converter, shifter, pan and dipstick seals. Since you need to pull it and the t-case to do the converter seal I'd peek inside both and reseal everything.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Jbcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Might want to start with the factory manuals for some guidance. Workable copies can be downloaded here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016

In 72, the optional K20 350/auto drivetrain would be 350/TH350/NP205/HO52 w/4.10 gears.

On the leaks, if you can take it to a quarter car wash and flush the underside as much as you can bumper to bumper. Cleaner is easer to diagnose and much nicer to work on. The trans probably needs converter, shifter, pan and dipstick seals. Since you need to pull it and the t-case to do the converter seal I'd peek inside both and reseal everything.
Thank you for the advice Tim. I'm going to do that.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

When you reassemble everything, try this stuff:

They claim it works better than other RTV sealers for gear oil. I've used it once so far, with good results.

http://www.permatex.com/products/pro...t-maker-detail

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote