The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Robznob11

learned something new tonight :)

so I have been fighting my fender /hood fitment for a while now and I learned something new. my gaps were a little tight so I figured I would re do the doors and work forward. after fighting for what seems like forever I decided that the front of the doors needed to come up. but no matter how much you pull up and grunt and try to hurry and tighten the bolt It just was not working. then a light bulb came on. I went and got my scissor jack for my titan. it has a grove in it that lines up with the pinch weld on the truck. so I figured I would put a rag in the grove for protection and then I set it under the door and put some lift on it. loosened the hinges and bumped them up. after I tightened them down. they were perfect. and closed like butter. then sure enough. fenders and hood lined up like butter too. its amazing how much difference 1/8" makes. so for anyone out there having issues. try jacking the doors. grunt and a quick wrench will leave you all jacked up lol!
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: learned something new tonight :)

-
I just went through this with the '70 4x4. Going down is easy, up not so much... The jack makes things go a lot smoother.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
jocko

recommend a long 2x4 with a little wedgie groove cut in it and placed between the jack and door to spread the load & avoid curling over the door edge, just in case. glad it didn't happen to you, but it could. I have this little chore coming up soon also and was thinking I might try the same thing - glad to hear it worked well and thx for sharing!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Floor jack & long 2x4 under inner door is my method. Yeppers,it's all about the doors with body alignment.

t first I thought,"oh no",when you described putting the groove of the jack under the door edge. But,I realized you are only gently lifting the door ever so slightly within it'd movement range...with zero resistance,other than the door weight. If a person takes care and is aware of the possible damage of lifting too far,I see this as a good way to go if you have a jack like that. Go with "pinky touch" rather than "thumb",is what I say. After all.it's adjustment,which means "just a touch". The method I use is a bit awkward,but works for lifting drooped doors where more force may be needed as well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Robznob11

Talking Re: learned something new tonight :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Floor jack & long 2x4 under inner door is my method. Yeppers,it's all about the doors with body alignment.

t first I thought,"oh no",when you described putting the groove of the jack under the door edge. But,I realized you are only gently lifting the door ever so slightly within it'd movement range...with zero resistance,other than the door weight. If a person takes care and is aware of the possible damage of lifting too far,I see this as a good way to go if you have a jack like that. Go with "pinky touch" rather than "thumb",is what I say. After all.it's adjustment,which means "just a touch". The method I use is a bit awkward,but works for lifting drooped doors where more force may be needed as well.
Yea guys its worth mentioning i hand twisted the jack only to create a slight tention. If you see the door move you probably are lifting to hard. After you put tention bump the hinges with rubber mallet and then tighten
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote