The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
tylerg85

lmc or classic industries

I have a 86' silverado stepside that I am restoring. When it comes to parts for them both of these companies they offer pretty much everything needed to restore a truck. So my question is have any of you used ether of these companies and which one may be better then the other. Im mainly looking for interior parts since the body is almost perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
tylerg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Straight six

Re: lmc or classic industries

I like them both but Lmc is outrageous on shipping still quality stuff though. Also try brothers truck they have great stuff as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Straight six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
tylerg85

Do you know if the colors match decent or be best to just order all of them from one place
Posted via Mobile Device
tylerg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
K10Scottsdale78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight six View Post
I like them both but Lmc is outrageous on shipping still quality stuff though. Also try brothers truck they have great stuff as well
Posted via Mobile Device
How is the shipping for classic industries? I was going to order a heater control unit and the shipping was like 17 bucks! I nearly puked when I saw how much it was! Does classic industries have more reasonable shipping compared to LMC?
5spd (gas saving daily driver)
-1969 Pontiac Firebird (post-college project car)
K10Scottsdale78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I would check the Classic Parts website for shipping information. I think they have a minimum charge of like $8, or 10% of the order, but you should check their current shipping charges. If you think LMC shipping charges are high, just look at GMpartsdirect.com.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
You will find that most aftermarket parts are not anywhere near the quality of the OEM parts of 30 years ago. My advice would be to get good quality used parts whenever you can. You can check the for sale section of this forum or visit you local junkyard.
This x1000

I've come to the point now where I expect anything that I order that isn't NOS to be medium quality at best. Aftermarket parts are all pretty much easily scratched, fairly fragile parts that you have to be very careful with. And are best used in an area that's out of the way and isn't going to see much real use. For this reason I doubt I'd order any non-original door panels.

There is one company that I wish would start selling parts for our trucks, NPD. They tend to carry the same part in low, medium, and higher quality. For different prices. They say that they get them from different distributors.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Here is the vendor review board: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=238

You will note that LMC pops up a few times on the first page, don't look like great reviews either.

There are quite a few vendors that support this board that have great service and really know these trucks.

I think the 5 star people on here support the board: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Here is the vendor review board: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=238

You will note that LMC pops up a few times on the first page, don't look like great reviews either.

There are quite a few vendors that support this board that have great service and really know these trucks.

I think the 5 star people on here support the board: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Skunksmash

Most of the time I use this one:

http://www.classicparts.com/

They often have NOS parts, though sometimes they are grey and unpainted. They will say something like "original GM part" and when you order it its got GM logos on it. They're pretty good, once they shipped me the wrong fender trim and I told them I shouldn't have to pay to ship it back cause they're the ones that gave me the wrong one. They sent a new one free and didn't make me ship back the old one. Guess its just gonna be a spare.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Most of the time I use this one:

They often have NOS parts, though sometimes they are grey and unpainted. They will say something like "original GM part" and when you order it its got GM logos on it. They're pretty good, once they shipped me the wrong fender trim and I told them I shouldn't have to pay to ship it back cause they're the ones that gave me the wrong one. They sent a new one free and didn't make me ship back the old one. Guess its just gonna be a spare.
I have used most of the parts houses for both 50's trucks and squares. And i have been happy with classic parts. Not always the cheapest, but good customer service, and the parts guys are competent. I use brothers when they run a sale, thier stuff seems priced high, but ive had good experience with them as well. I use LMC as a last resort. Most of the stuff i have bought from them was sub-par at best.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
tucsonjwt

I have purchased items from both, as well as many other vendors. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with Classic.

You will find that most aftermarket parts are not anywhere near the quality of the OEM parts of 30 years ago. My advice would be to get good quality used parts whenever you can. You can check the for sale section of this forum or visit you local junkyard.

If you need electrical or mechanical parts I would post back here with your specific needs and get some opinions on those parts. You can still get some new OEM GM or AC Delco parts which are of good quality (although they will likely be made in China.) There are discount online OEM vendors so you don't have to use your local GM dealer, who usually don't want your business anyway because they have to do some extra effort to look up old part numbers.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
TwoFiftyShifter

I've only used Long Motor Corporation. Simply due to their selection.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

If I can't find nos for a Chevy I'll either make something from a different truck work or just make it. Aftetmarket parts for these trucks SUCK. bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
lilpoindexter

If you want poorly packaged, poor quality parts, LMC is your best bet.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
tucsonjwt

From a practical point of view, both LMC and Classic have parts I could not find anywhere else. Classic had the one way valves that go on the end of the differential vent tubes and non-evap canister fuel tank vent lines, and LMC had the hood hinge deflectors (rubber seals). The seals were thin and cheap reproductions of the original but they were all I could find.

So, bottom line - you often really don't have any choice for new parts other than LMC, Classic, or Brothers.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
bnoon

I've bought from several vendors and usually just go to who has the item at the cheaper price shipped. I've not had any problems with the quality or customer service from LMC, Classic Industries, heck even J.C. Whitney has been great, as have several others. But by far, my favorite places are the pull your own parts salvage yards! That's the whole reason I got one of these older trucks and not something newer.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
arrover

One thing I didn't realize for a long time is that Classic Parts and Classic Industries are two different companies.

http://www.classicindustries.com/
http://www.lmctruck.com/
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/
http://truckandcarshop.com/ - Maybe not the best site but they do have a 130 page catalog dedicated to our trucks.

1973-1987(91) Chevy/GMC How-To Videos
arrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Skunksmash

I'm still waiting on one of these companies to come up with a door panel that will accept the Silverado trim. I won't hold my breath though.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
kalbert

I have no real evidence to support my claim, but most of the resto parts from all these vendors come from the same one or two manufacturers and get boxed up and labeled for the distributor.

Door panels that accept factory trim must be close, I see LMC now lists the trim, pockets, cloth inserts, lower carpet. The only thing missing is the bezel for the handle and the panel itself.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I've noticed from personal experience that no matter what vendor, the only quality reproduction parts are the ones that have OER (original equipment reproduction) or GM authorized repro on the container. All other parts seem to be very cheap and who knows how long they will actually last when seeing real use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote