The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
RedRaven

Lurking, no work done yet

Hey All,

Well, my '70 C20 is sitting for now.... Trying to figure out if the battery drain issue I am having at the moment is due to asshole neighbors or a short in the wiring.... Might end up having to re-wire the whole truck but we shall see. (The current wiring is slightly hacked together, plus I would like to upgrade the wiring harness/fuse block to modern blade fuses instead of older tube fuses.)

I have a question and it might seem silly at first, but hear me out. Currently I have the 1970 C20 Custom Camper....... I have two questions. 1.) Is it true that Chevy did not make an extended/crew cab version of their pickups stock until ~1973? And 2.) Would it be possible to yank the crew cab from a 1973 and drop it onto a LWB 1970 (with a short bed/chopped 1970 C20 bed) and keep the front end look of the 1970 without much modification? (so 1973 front fenders, front end and hood back to cab. 1973 crew cab out to back, 1970 bed chopped down/1970 short bed in back)

Hopefully I made sense, as I love the look of the '70 but I would like the crew cab/short bed look.
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
JointTech

Re: Lurking, no work done yet

there were no factory crew cabs in our years. i dont know when they started. From what ive read the frames are completely different on square bodys and cab swaps are a real pita. But that may only be our cabs to square frame. not sure on the other way.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
RedRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
there were no factory crew cabs in our years. i dont know when they started. From what ive read the frames are completely different on square bodys and cab swaps are a real pita. But that may only be our cabs to square frame. not sure on the other way.
Yeah that is what I have heard. Basically what I would like to do is keep the look from the headlights back to the firewall, from the firewall back drop a crew cab 1973 on (first year they made em, already did my research) and probably chop the LB cab to fit nice (and maybe if I can turn it Unibody in the process..... not sure how to go about that quite yet).

At this point I think it would look cool and fairly unique, I am sure if it is possible that additional mounting points need to be added to the frame..... I guess the only thing to do would be to get a cab and do it but this probably won't happen until the summer as I am currently unemployed (and hense the no work done yet >.<)

Was just hoping someone might have some insight to this is all.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
heyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
Hey All,

Well, my '70 C20 is sitting for now.... Trying to figure out if the battery drain issue I am having at the moment is due to asshole neighbors or a short in the wiring....
I just have to ask because now I'm curious... how might the A-hole neighbors be involved in the battery drain issue? Care to relate a story?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
rico7769
Hybrid67

Had similar issue with my 67 because it had an acc optioned ignition switch wired in that it wasn't supposed to have factory. Never knew it until I went through jumping it off all the time and tore into the dash to find the issue. I was turning the key too far back and it left the acc on (tach,elec choke, everything that could slowly kill the batt). Good luck with the problem.....and I'm curious about the neighbors too.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
RedRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico7769 View Post
Had similar issue with my 67 because it had an acc optioned ignition switch wired in that it wasn't supposed to have factory. Never knew it until I went through jumping it off all the time and tore into the dash to find the issue. I was turning the key too far back and it left the acc on (tach,elec choke, everything that could slowly kill the batt). Good luck with the problem.....and I'm curious about the neighbors too.
Hmm, that could be an issue I might have to take a look at that and see too.... As for the neighbor, a little back story. We live in a mobile home park that has on street parking that is first come, first serve. Well, when this guy moved in he claimed the one directly in front of his place as his (which makes sense).

Well, unfortunately there aren't any parking spots in front of ours (end of a cul-de-sac and they marked all the space in front of our places as fire zones so no parking) and I parked in his spot one time.... Instead of coming to ask me to move nicely he threatened to get my truck towed.... And the truck dying started happening not long after that, unfortunately since the hood is easily opened from the exterior the battery would be easily accessed but I don't know if there is anything he could do to drain my battery.

*shrugs* I doubt it, but I will check the ignition thing, that would make a bit of sense actually..... Wonder if that is a common thing, what did you end up checking that let you know that is what you had?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
RedRaven

*Singing* I feel stuuuuuuupiiiiiid!

Ok, well, just finished jumping the truck (let me tell ya, pain in the ass to do alone and with a ford taurus as the jump vehicle >.<) and it turns out that Rico had the issue that was mine..... Turns out it was user error (still not used to this truck) it has the Acc. ignition in it, and due to the key being able to be removed in any position I had been turning it all the way and leaving it in Acc. this whole time....... Guess I should have looked at the plate above the ignition huh? *facepalm*

Anywho, got a huge list of things I want to do to this thing but I am just glad I got it running again and the ID10T error figured out so I can drive it again!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
JointTech

we call them PEBKACs in the IT industry. ID10T has been found out by the muggles.

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
RedRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
we call them PEBKACs in the IT industry. ID10T has been found out by the muggles.

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.
I worked for a buddy who had a computer repair business.... He had PEBKAC, ID10T (spelled out in a way that no one caught on.... go figure) and a couple others as 'Fee Codes' for moments when customers really deserved it.

But yeah, ID10T has gotten thrown around too often so everyone caught on (IT Geek myself, although self taught because I haven't worked my way into a good job in IT quite yet)