The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
clapage6

t-case + Drivetrain concerns and help needed

Hi all, I have a good mechanical background however haven't owned anything bigger than my toyota pickup until a few months back when i got my 83 Crew cab drw for hauling desert toys etc around. Also never did much drivetrain work even though...always been a motor-head while someone else jimmied with suspension/gearing etc...

concerns/advice/pointers needed:

1. Good sized clunk when going into reverse. I've been seeing around could be U-joints/diff etc. Does anyone know of a decent way of diagnosing the exact cause a "SAFE" way?

2. I can hear the tcase gears spinning though the t-case shifter in the cab at all times... gets a little annoying; not crazy loud but i can def. hear it even with my window down .... is this how all np205's are or is there something else wrong? everything seems tight as far as linkage is concerned? Is there a decent thread anywhere with pics on drain/fill/sight plugs on the 205?

I think that's it for now Thanks guys
clapage6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Rubble

Re: t-case + Drivetrain concerns and help needed

You can check the u joints by seeing if there is any movement right at the joint.Grab the driveshaft & try to wiggle it back & forth,if there is any movement your joints need replaced. Also look at the caps & see if they are shiny,that means the needle bearings are getting bad& need replaced.If you run down the road a bit,stop & feel the u joints to see which one is hot or warm.You probably know this already,but when your checking under the truck,it's in park with E brake on too.The 205 will have a bit of gear whine,both mine do anyway,if your shift boot needs replaced,more noise too.I don't have a picture,but the fill plug is on back of case about 1/3 way up & drain is right at bottom if I remember correctly.It's a square headed plug,around a 3/8 or 7/16 wrench?? Hope this helps...

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Oldriginal86

What transmission is in the truck?
Oldriginal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
clapage6

Thanks rubble, I'll look into that tomorrow night.

The truck has a th400/np205/dana70 i believe rear end. rounder 10 bolt cover
clapage6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Zane M

It probably isn't a bad idea to go ahead and disconnect the driveshaft and visually check the ujoints by removing the caps.
I have had driveshafts that had no play, but upon further inspection, one set of roller bearings were shot. The other three "good" sets provided enough support that the typical check for play didn't produce evidence of a bad joint.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote