The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
catch2otwo

Steering Wobble

I have a wobble and its getting worse. Back story, I jacked up the drivers side corner of the truck and upon letting it down I turned the jack handle too fast and it came down faster then I'd liked. That was a few months ago.

At first I noticed a little bit of a wobble in the wheel. At slow speeds at each "wobble" the truck would pull to the right. You could see it in the wheel, each time it wobbled, the steering wheel would turn a little bit to the right.

The wobble is starting to get worse and its noticeable at higher speeds now also. Ive crawled under there and everything looks ok. Wobble seems to only be present going in a straight line, when I turn either left or right it goes away.

Did I mess something up when I let it down too quick? Bent something in the steering maybe? Just wondering where I should start my troubleshoot. Truck is 1968 gmc lwb 2wd. Drum brakes all around. stock everything
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Hawghauler

Re: Steering Wobble

I would jack the truck up again and test the wobble in the wheels while mounted and airborn. If they have any wobble at all, something is not right and must be fixed. Grabbing the tire on top and bottom and pushing and pulling should have no movement. If you do have movement, see if you can see any of the control arm bushings or ball joints move. If anything moves it's probably bad. Then side to side checking to see if the steering linkages move. If no movement is visible on the suspension or steering, it's probably wheel bearings. You can also use a small pry bar and check steering joints, ball joints, etc, and if anything moves more that just a tiny bit, it probably needs to be replaced.
If you do it yourself, you can replace most of the suspension parts for relatively cheap. Just use Moog parts and rent for free the necessary tools from an O'reilly auto parts or many other auto parts retailers.
It might be best to swing in to a Les Schwab or other local tire company and they will most likely check everything for free and let you know what needs replacing. If it's all original or at least really old, you could be in for a little expenditure. I think the jack drop probably exacerbated and existing condition, and you would have been experiencing it soon anyway.
I wouldn't recommend driving it much further until you inspect it as described or having a professional inspect it.
I've just replaced all my bushings and joints, and it wasn't really that hard or expensive. Check the threads and they will tell you the best procedures for doing it yourself.

If you're not confident in your own abilities, definitely see a professional, as this could be something that can bite you pretty hard if it all goes south at the right time.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawghauler View Post
I would jack the truck up again and test the wobble in the wheels while mounted and airborn. If they have any wobble at all, something is not right and must be fixed. Grabbing the tire on top and bottom and pushing and pulling should have no movement. If you do have movement, see if you can see any of the control arm bushings or ball joints move. If anything moves it's probably bad. Then side to side checking to see if the steering linkages move. If no movement is visible on the suspension or steering, it's probably wheel bearings. You can also use a small pry bar and check steering joints, ball joints, etc, and if anything moves more that just a tiny bit, it probably needs to be replaced.
If you do it yourself, you can replace most of the suspension parts for relatively cheap. Just use Moog parts and rent for free the necessary tools from an O'reilly auto parts or many other auto parts retailers.
It might be best to swing in to a Les Schwab or other local tire company and they will most likely check everything for free and let you know what needs replacing. If it's all original or at least really old, you could be in for a little expenditure. I think the jack drop probably exacerbated and existing condition, and you would have been experiencing it soon anyway.
I wouldn't recommend driving it much further until you inspect it as described or having a professional inspect it.
I've just replaced all my bushings and joints, and it wasn't really that hard or expensive. Check the threads and they will tell you the best procedures for doing it yourself.

If you're not confident in your own abilities, definitely see a professional, as this could be something that can bite you pretty hard if it all goes south at the right time.

what he said x 2
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Also check tires might have a tread separating

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
hugger6933

You have what sounds to me like a tire issue and it is probably totally unrelated to the jack issue these trucks are a little bit tougher than that. Think about the abuse that tons of them see on the trails on the weekends. I still say tire belt issues. 99 times of 100 they start out on a low speed wobble like when pulling up to a stop light, or away from one low speed. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
You have what sounds to me like a tire issue and it is probably totally unrelated to the jack issue these trucks are a little bit tougher than that. Think about the abuse that tons of them see on the trails on the weekends. I still say tire belt issues. 99 times of 100 they start out on a low speed wobble like when pulling up to a stop light, or away from one low speed. Jim
I agree.
I just went through this same thing.
And for the few times I looked at the tire to check,
it never seemed to show up in a visual search.
The wobble got worse until the tire was really bulging and by then quite visually noticeable.

You probably separated the tread from the inner rubber when you dropped it hard, causing a weak spot under the tread.
Mine began wobbling after I hit a speed bump too fast.

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #7
Sicklajoie
The Niner

I'd swap the front and rear tires and test drive it to see if it's a tire issue then go from there.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
catch2otwo

Thanks for the replies. Ill get the front in the air this afternoon and check.

So if I understood right.

Jack up front wheel. Grab it at 3 and 9 oclock. Try to wiggle it back and forth and see if there is any slop in the steering? Same thing with 12 and 6 o clock?

I do buy the tire idea also. The tires that the previous owner put on this thing look pretty worn. They are some generic all terrain. Its got bfg mt on the rear, not sure they will fit on the front as they rub on the inner wheel well when the trucks loaded down.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
tinkerdad

Not sure if this will cause your issue, these trucks have a tendency to wallow out the front shock mount bolt hole in the frame, check it while you’re under there
tinkerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerdad View Post
Not sure if this will cause your issue, these trucks have a tendency to wallow out the front shock mount bolt hole in the frame, check it while you’re under there
Copy that.

Also, if its a tire issue, will it cause the truck to pull to the right with each wobble?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
Thanks for the replies. Ill get the front in the air this afternoon and check.

So if I understood right.

Jack up front wheel. Grab it at 3 and 9 oclock. Try to wiggle it back and forth and see if there is any slop in the steering? Same thing with 12 and 6 o clock?

I do buy the tire idea also. The tires that the previous owner put on this thing look pretty worn. They are some generic all terrain. Its got bfg mt on the rear, not sure they will fit on the front as they rub on the inner wheel well when the trucks loaded down.
Correct. 12 and 6 will reveal suspension wear/damage. It would help if you had someone watching while you did the movement. Sometimes it's hard to see such small movements by yourself.
Good luck

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Prematuregrey

Yup, tire issue is what it sounds like to me. I'd swap front to rear and see if it migrates before going any further check air pressures as well. Then go into the excellent suspension recommendations already posted.
71 Chevy K20, Clifford, BB and 1 Tons
Prematuregrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
catch2otwo

cool ill try it this afternoon
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
sboris

Belt slipped for sure I'm betting. If its bad enough it pulls right on the wobble, you shouldn't have to rotate them to verify. Looking at the tread pattern head on while rotating it elevated, the tread will have some sort of deformed look or curve to it. Common problem in an old tire.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
catch2otwo

You guys were right. Jacked up the truck and spun the tire and sure enough there is a big old buldge. It also has split the outer rubber.

http://youtu.be/7PJJoTnjYZs
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
You guys were right. Jacked up the truck and spun the tire and sure enough there is a big old buldge. It also has split the outer rubber.

http://youtu.be/7PJJoTnjYZs
That would cause quite the vibration!
Glad it was something simple.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Glad you found it....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #18
ole dollor

congrats.....good to have the problem solved.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
catch2otwo

me too. now to pick out some tires. time to get rid of this mud truck look.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
sboris

Quote:
me too. now to pick out some tires. time to get rid of this mud truck look.
Super! Now ya get to pick out some new shoes! How about some before and after pics?
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
hugger6933

This brings to mind one of my all time favorite cartoon quotes"He is right about me being right". The tire clock thing, let me expand on that just breifly if I may[if I can do anything quickly you all have seen my posts]the 12 and 6 O'clock positions are gonna give you indications of slack or wear in the ball joints or wheel bearings. The rocking the clock in the 9 and 3 O'clock positions will give you information about the steering linkage such as the tie rod ends both inner and outer and even to some degree the idler arm and pitman arm. now if your tire is lose when you grab it at say 10:30 and 4:45 and can shake it well.....
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote