The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2003, 11:07 PM   #1
hjalbert
cracker

more tranny help.

what is the best way to remove a three speed tranny if i am replacing it with an auto? I was thinking about just unbolting it from the bell housing, but since i am putting the auto back in, i will need more room. I also dont know if i need a different cross member. Is it easier to remove the engine and tranny bolted together, and put them back in bolted together? I have a cherry picker and all that, but i wonder if it will all fit coming out of the truck, or should I take the engine out then take the tranny out? I need some ideas, any would be appreciated. thanks HJ

Harry John Albert III
located in Phoenix, AZ
1972 GMC JIMMY,
1969 lwb Chevy Frame,
1999 bmw k1200 ltc
1992 Kawasaki concours
1991 bmw k75
1973 cortez motorhome
hjalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

I have always pulled motor and tranny together. It's a lot easier to mount the tranny to the engine out where you can get around it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
jjk3
It's just a check engine lamp.

The three speed trannies are a piece of cake. My friend and I swapped out one 3 speed and put in another one with the front tires on jackstands in 30-45 minutes. We had everything back together and lubed up in that amount of time. I also pulled the tranny out by myself when I did my engine swap. That was also on the groung with jackstands. The three speeds are held to the bellhousing by 4 bolts with nuts on ther other side of the bellhousing. I think they are 3/4 bolt heads. Be careful with the tranny though. It may look small, but it's heavier than you think. It's not easy to bech press the tranny into or out of place, but it can be done. Pulling the motor will be too much of a hassle unless you are very good and can remember where everything goes. It just seems like a waste of time to me. I think you'll need a crossmember for the auto trans since the 3 speeds didn't have one. Depending on the length of the auto trans you might run into some driveshaft length issues. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't dealt much with autos. Good luck.

68 SWB Stepside 250 L6/3 on the floor/ Hedman headers, HEI, MSD 6A box, K&N filter, Offy intake and Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel
Soon to have: WC T-5 five speed
66 SWB Stepside-undergoing restoration
jjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:32 AM   #4
jimfulco

Autos use a crossmember under the tail of the trans.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:00 AM   #5
Huck

RETHINK this!!! Your 3 speed is mounted to the bellhousing which is mounted to a standard crossmember. All of the above must come out to conver to auto!!!!!!!! You would need to support the rear of the motor is you are leaving it in. Converting to an auto will require ---auto crossmember for rear support of trans and engine!!!! Probably also need different drive shaft as well. Having done this several times, I would pull hood, radiator, then engine and tras as a unit. You could drop the 3peed from the bottom but you still need to get the stick crossmember out which takes a little time. Why not make the room and do it right and easy as long as you are replacing it with an auto. will also need auto radiator, cooling lines, shifter, etc.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote