The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
slow one

need advice with lift...

Im new to the site, but have been reading a bunch of posts already which has helped tremendously.

I have a 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton and I installed a 4 inch Rough Country lift with 35 inch Mickey Thompsons. The truck sits higher up front and I dont like it. I was thinking of putting a 5 or 5.5 inch block out back or an add-a-leaf, but now im leaning toward removing 1-2 leaf springs in the front to drop .5-1.5 inches in the front.

Any advice would be great... Should I remove 1 or 2? Which leafs should I remove? How much difference in height should I expect with each leaf?

BTW, the Rough Country springs are super stiff, thats why I think it would be ok to do this. The front spring pack has 5 springs total.

Thanks!!
slow one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Rubble

Re: need advice with lift...

You might be able to remove a couple leaves from the front pack,that might help some.What did you do to raise the rear? If you used the original rear springs with blocks of shackle flip,your springs might be sagged some & the reason for the nose sitting higher.The add a leaf is another option too.When I lifted my 82 K25 last year,it did the same thing,there are 5 leaves in the front as well.I added a couple more leaves in the rear as well as add a leaf.This set the rear a bit higher.I set this truck up for work,so stiff ride & extra weight capacity was what I wanted anyway.

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
slow one

I also want to lower the front due to the amount of wheelwell space between the tire and the fender. There is a LOT of space. I believe the 4 inch lift from rough country is taller than 4 inches. I think removing front spring(s) will make it look better and ride better.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow one View Post
I also want to lower the front due to the amount of wheelwell space between the tire and the fender. There is a LOT of space. I believe the 4 inch lift from rough country is taller than 4 inches. I think removing front spring(s) will make it look better and ride better.
Never heard of 4 inches being too much. I'm curious to see it if you could put a picture up.
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
dbash

Pics would be nice to help us understand what your dealing with. How much have you driven on the lift? It wont settle much but it will settle some. I would go out and drive it through some mild ditches or over some type of terrain prior to making changes if your only dealing with an inch or so.

Your spring pack is designed with each spring counting on the one below it being there to carry its respective part of the load. pulling two out of the middle would make me nervous, could cause the next leaf up to fail from lack of support.

The previous post about your rear springs being original and possibly sagging from age is worth looking into as well.

My truck is a fresh build and the front is a bit higher as well, does not bother me but I expect it to settle after its been driven some.

Good Luck.

2008 Dodge 3500 Blue Tech
2013 Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Landcruiser Rock Crawler LS1
1969 4X4 Resto Mod
dbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
dieseldawg142

how wide a rim you got those Mickey T's on? if their wider than 8", i would think twice before pulling out some leafs.
do you REALLY want to lower your truck?! bring the back up to match. wouldn't go over 3" with a block.
put add a leafs on my stepper-pia to put on, ride went out the window, & after 7-8 yrs, their wearing grooves in my leafs. you could replace your old rear springs with some new ones & small blocks for about $300.
or for about $270 you could throw a set of airbags in the back to level it up (far easier than ripping your springs apart)
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
cadillac_al

I'm surprises the 35's don't rub already with a 4" lift unless you did some fender cutting like I did.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
slow one

i ended up taking the second to smallest leaf out of the front leaf bundle. my truck sits perfectly level now. also, the ride is MUCH better now.

i dont have any pictures right now, but it seems like the 4 inch Rough Country lift is closer to a 6 inch lift. My truck sat up higher in the front. I just didnt like that "bulldog" look.