The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
YoungRasta66

Thumbs up Electric fan gurus needed. Will it work!?

Not so sure if this is going to work lol. I pulled this fan from a Taurus today and wanted to put it on my truck (250 i6). What are some things I need to get it going? I want to take off the belt driven fam as it's loud and annoying at high revs. Will I need a pusher fan? Fan shroud? Which wires do I need to get? I have no a/c and it's a Colum shifter! Thanks guys
Attached Images

YoungRasta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Electric fan gurus needed. Will it work!?

Taurus fans are said to pull a ton of air and are a good choice. I would clean off all of the wiring you don't need and pick up a thermostat controlled switch kit at NAPA ,or similar source, to run the fan when the temp rises/shut off when at freeway speed etc. Build some mounts to secure the assembly to your radiator or gut the fan from the Ford shroud and fab your own shroud.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
joedoh

puller>pusher

if it doesnt turn the right way switch the leads. be sure and use a relay and a waterproof relay cover.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
66LSx

FYI... if your not set up for 40-50 AMP's with relays on both the high speed circuit and low speed circuit side... don't bother...

otherwise your about to start your truck on fire. (i'm serious tho)

taurus fans can draw 40+ amps at startup with some older used rotor lockup fans draw being more than 80 amps.

hope your wiring is up to par (10g minimum)

USE A CIRCUIT BREAKER!
(in comparison.. aftermarket el cheapo fans are around 6-10 amp draws)

good luck... dont cheap out or if you do.... at least have marshmellows on hand.

3.8 taurus fans are pullers also...
2012 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 CCSB
66LSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
YoungRasta66

Lightbulb Re: Electric fan gurus needed. Will it work!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66LSx View Post
FYI... if your not set up for 40-50 AMP's with relays on both the high speed circuit and low speed circuit side... don't bother...

otherwise your about to start your truck on fire. (i'm serious tho)

taurus fans can draw 40+ amps at startup with some older used rotor lockup fans draw being more than 80 amps.

hope your wiring is up to par (10g minimum)

USE A CIRCUIT BREAKER!
(in comparison.. aftermarket el cheapo fans are around 6-10 amp draws)

good luck... dont cheap out or if you do.... at least have marshmellows on hand.

3.8 taurus fans are pullers also...
"

Some great information from all thank you so much or the words of wisdom. Lx66, will I need a new alternator as well? I'm not totaly positive how to identify gauge size of wires in my truck. I'm going to post up pictures of my engine bay by tonight so I can find out exactly what I'll be needing. So far sounds like a relay kit from an aftermarket source, maybe a new alt. and hopefully not new wires lol
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
66LSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRasta66 View Post
"

Some great information from all thank you so much or the words of wisdom. Lx66, will I need a new alternator as well? I'm not totaly positive how to identify gauge size of wires in my truck. I'm going to post up pictures of my engine bay by tonight so I can find out exactly what I'll be needing. So far sounds like a relay kit from an aftermarket source, maybe a new alt. and hopefully not new wires lol
Without knowing what you have for an alternator (1 wire 90+ Amp?) its hard to say.

You'll have a thermal switch that will activate a relay... the wiring you use there will be new anyhow (from the battery to the relay... then relay to fan)...

To be honest... "MOST" guys I know on the offroad and CUCV (military pickup) use a starter solenoid as their relay (85 amps) with 6-8g wiring.
Its expensive... ST85 for example at napa is $45....

Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
YoungRasta66

Hey guys this is my alternator
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
OldTrucksRule

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4332013756.html

I had this one on my 65 truck but it could not handle my big block chevy. Check it out and see if you're interested.
OldTrucksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Barney 66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrucksRule View Post
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4332013756.html

I had this one on my 65 truck but it could not handle my big block chevy. Check it out and see if you're interested.
How much for just the fan and shroud?
Barney 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
63burban
Chevy addict

Alternator looks like a 32 amp
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You need to upgrade to a 100 amp Alt the current alt you have may stall the motor when the fan starts up with the headlights on. You don't need starter relay they are not made to work that way. Ford never use that kind of relay or 6 gage on fans wire its just not necessary.
You can go over to http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...VIIIrelay.html and read up on it and here to see a MarkVII in a C10.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/MarkVIII.html
you can read here also
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_03.html
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That alternator looks to be an original 37 amp unit. I agree that you will need to upgrade to a higher amp alternator. I would convert to an internally regulated alternator at the same time. You do not have an HEI, That is just a stock points distributor.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #13
66LSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
You need to upgrade to a 100 amp Alt the current alt you have may stall the motor when the fan starts up with the headlights on. You don't need starter relay they are not made to work that way. Ford never use that kind of relay or 6 gage on fans wire its just not necessary.
You can go over to http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...VIIIrelay.html and read up on it and here to see a MarkVII in a C10.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/MarkVIII.html
you can read here also
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_03.html

The ford taurus stock setup uses two 40 amp relays in parallel....(pending model #... there are 4 years where the mark VIII and taurus are different)

google "ford taurus fan amp draw" and read what the offroad guys are seeing.. most are 75-90A single relays......

The mark VIII uses 2-30A relays in parallel... most guys run a Bosch 75A relay for that also.

The link provided from dwscr also states that their 12g wire is pushing the limits for even the 5' wire run lengths.

Do your homework.... take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and try to dog-bird as much of the technical data as you can. (voids garbage info).

Worst case...err on side of caution.

ECM's ran progressive start up to limit the initial 'shock load' on the system.

Offroad guys with in-engine-compartment batteries running 8-10 gauge on just about all the installs on the 4x4 forums (4btswaps, pirate4x4 etc). LS1tech seems to be at 10g)
Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66LSx View Post
The ford taurus stock setup uses two 40 amp relays in parallel....(pending model #... there are 4 years where the mark VIII and taurus are different)

google "ford taurus fan amp draw" and read what the offroad guys are seeing.. most are 75-90A single relays......

The mark VIII uses 2-30A relays in parallel... most guys run a Bosch 75A relay for that also.

The link provided from dwscr also states that their 12g wire is pushing the limits for even the 5' wire run lengths.

Do your homework.... take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and try to dog-bird as much of the technical data as you can. (voids garbage info).

Worst case...err on side of caution.

ECM's ran progressive start up to limit the initial 'shock load' on the system.

Offroad guys with in-engine-compartment batteries running 8-10 gauge on just about all the installs on the 4x4 forums (4btswaps, pirate4x4 etc). LS1tech seems to be at 10g)
Our kit uses 10 ga. wire and we do run parallel 60's on the high side certainly if your going to run longer than 5-6 ft of fan power wire then you need to go larger on the wire. In an off road situation, which is an entirely different application, 8 gage may be needed with a high amp contactor due to amount of fan on time being at 75 - 80 % of drive time and location of fan to the battery but in a street C10 none of that is needed. I'd be very surprised if the high side even came on with a 6cyl non air engine. On my C10 350 it only came on when towing.

10 gage wire works well on the majority of application for the street where fan on time is 20 - 30 % of drive time. You can use standard form factor parts. At 8 gage you then get into different connectors and the heavy 75 -100 amp Bosch type contactors and all the parts are no longer "off the shelf" at the auto parts store and get pricey. This is ok for off road because your usually carrying parts with you but on a street truck you want to be able to walk into a parts store and get a relay or fuse if it fails.

I haven't seen the stock Taurus using factory dual 40's do you have access to a diagram I could look at? Ford used so many combination its hard to keep up.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #15
64shortbox

I went with a little different route. I used a Lincoln Mark VIII fan. I picked up it and a Taurus fan at the junk yard the same day. I felt the Mark VIII was a better fit for trucks. I used a Volvo 2 Speed relay but only used one side of it. I've read that the Mark VIII fans are 2 speed. I've picked up total of 3 Mark VIII fans and all 3 are single speed fans. They have 3 wires going to them but only the one ground and one hot get used. The Volvo relay uses a ground to complete the circuit. I did have to use another Bosh style relay so when the ignition is on it grounds one side from there I ran a wire to a temperature switch I purchased from Summit. The one I bought closes @ 175 deg. and opens @ 165 deg. - I'm running a 160 deg. thermostat. The other side of the switch I ran to the Volvo relay which now completes the ground and turns the Mark VIII fan. The same set up should work for your Taurus fan. Here's a link from a Jeep site using a Taurus fan.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...relay-1526807/

Here's a link to the Temperature switch I purchased from Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16730/overview/

They also have a thermostat switch that closes @ 195 deg. and opens @ 185 deg. This is what I should have ran with a 180 thermostat. I feel a 160 thermostat is too cold.

Here's a pic of a Taurus fan next to a Mark VIII fan for comparison. The Taurus fan is on the left.

The next pic is of a Volvo fan relay. The far left leads are the Hot out to the fan. The #2 (red) lead would go to the High speed wire to the fan, the #1 (green) lead would go to the low speed wire to the fan. The 2 yellow center leads are what would complete the ground to the Volvo relay to and start the high or low speed part of the fan respectively. The far right red wire goes to straight to the battery through a circuit breaker.

The third picture is my Mark VIII fan mounted to my home made brackets.

The fourth picture is how I test electrical components at the junk yard. I use my 18 volt DeWalt battery from my cordless drill with a couple of jumpers.

The last picture is the fan installed in my 64. I hope this info is of some help. If not feel free to ask and I'll do my best to explain it better or take more photos for you.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Volvo relay is a popular conversion, Your fan has a white fan connector plug making it a MarkVIII (single speed) used with a PWM unit. If you get a fan from a Mark VIII and its a two speed it was a replacement fan from a TBrid/Cougar. The price difference in M8 fans and Tbird is about $200 but they look identical and the Tbird/Cougar is a 2 speed.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #17
brokenspoke

Is the orginal fan not cooling?
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
YoungRasta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
Is the orginal fan not cooling?
No the belt driven fan is cooling pretty well. I'm going on a road trip to coachella valley in the next two months and there's going to be a point where I'm waiting in line for up to an hour or two. I want to be able to idle for extended periods of time
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #19
Casaba

I hate to sound cynical but I just cannot wrap my mind around mixing chevy and ford parts! Is that silly?
Casaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #20
YoungRasta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casaba View Post
I hate to sound cynical but I just cannot wrap my mind around mixing chevy and ford parts! Is that silly?
Hhahahaahha yes it is, when my buddy asked me what kind of fan I simply told him that I didn't want to talk about it
Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #21
Jeff La

Just out of curiosity has anyone fit a CHEVY fan in our trucks????
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
bonehead

Why not adapt a clutch fan,... quiet, efficient, cheap.

I love the one on my 350.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
LVPhotos

I used a Black Magic from flex-a-lite at 3300cfm in my Prerunner Durango. Even in the desert it pulled its weight.
Attached Images

LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
LVPhotos

pic
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
bonehead

Here is the clutch fan that you PM's me about. )bone(
Attached Images

1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote