The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
RocketKing

Fender Question

I was working on my front fenders and noticed that they are different at the back, one has the body line continue around the rear of the fender while the other flattens out.

I suppose they are different years and I suspect the one that flattens out is the actual fender that fits on the '50, but that is just a guess. I intend to cut and weld the body line to match the other unless someone has a better idea or a better fix.

Due to my ignorance of these body styles I am on a new learning curve, but I am having fun discovering the new stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Fender Question

I have a pile of fenders I'll look and see. It may be that when they re worked the die they eliminated that crease
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
OrrieG

Uh, no one will be able to see both at the same time, unless they are WAY back and have eagle vision. I'd use them as is and give the folks with too much time on their hands something to peck at. I have some stuff like that on my truck but I'm not sayin' where, symmetry is over rated...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
mr48chev

It's dark and raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock or i'd wander out and look at mine but that is a new one on me.

Any signs of repair work on the one that doesn't have the style line all the way around? Maybe it got flattened out a bit in an old repair.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
alaska gasser

I agree with OrrieG. I wouldn't worry about it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
RocketKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I have a pile of fenders I'll look and see. It may be that when they re worked the die they eliminated that crease
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Uh, no one will be able to see both at the same time, unless they are WAY back and have eagle vision. I'd use them as is and give the folks with too much time on their hands something to peck at. I have some stuff like that on my truck but I'm not sayin' where, symmetry is over rated...
Good points. I have to say your symmetry comment made me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It's dark and raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock or i'd wander out and look at mine but that is a new one on me.

Any signs of repair work on the one that doesn't have the style line all the way around? Maybe it got flattened out a bit in an old repair.
No repair work on this fender...yet! The crease is perfect inside and out. I just figured it was a different year model

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska gasser View Post
I agree with OrrieG. I wouldn't worry about it.
Good advice...just don't know if my OCD will allow it. lol
Old 03-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Oddly enough I do have some with a flat in the back. They seem to be GMC fenders. The Chevys has the edge all the way. Can't say its true of all GMC's but mine are that way. The chevys vary in the crispness of the edge from barely noticeable on a 48 to prominent on a 53 so it makes me wonder if the didn't have several suppliers or stampers back then.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
RocketKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Oddly enough I do have some with a flat in the back. They seem to be GMC fenders. The Chevys has the edge all the way. Can't say its true of all GMC's but mine are that way. The chevys vary in the crispness of the edge from barely noticeable on a 48 to prominent on a 53 so it makes me wonder if the didn't have several suppliers or stampers back then.
Very interesting! Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Old Crow

I've got my wife's '54 panel truck and another '54 1/2 ton I'm building for a guy. On the panel, both fenders are flat at the back. On the pickup the style lines go all the way back.
Another symetry problem, the top edge of the running boards where the filler panel would bolt. Both these trucks have different shapes to the channel where the bolt holes are. Rounded on one side, square on the other. Both are the same on the same side(left square, right round). I think Orrie's right

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
coralhead

I had similar issues on my '50 3600 running boards. Both came from the same S Dakota truck but one of them had crisper tread lines on the top. Scratched my head for a while and then said oh well. Can't see both at the same time anyway.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
mr48chev

I went out and looked at the ones on the 48 and one other and found that the 48 has the fenders with the fading style line (left is original to the truck) and one I picked up a few years ago at a swap meet has the all around style line

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
FarmerSid

This is the first time I've heard of these variations. Interesting.... My 51 chevy Canadian built 1/2 ton has the curve all the way around.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
MARTINSR

My fenders came from a 47 and both from the same truck. You can see that there is a distinct difference left to right. I'll be darn, never noticed. Thanks a lot, now it's going to drive me nuts until I make them the same, yes I am that anal.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #14
RocketKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My fenders came from a 47 and both from the same truck. You can see that there is a distinct difference left to right. I'll be darn, never noticed. Thanks a lot, now it's going to drive me nuts until I make them the same, yes I am that anal.
Sorry man! It was my own OCD that lead to the question in the first place. lol