The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Savidio44

New to me '69 C-10

Just getting started. 292 3 speed. Probably pretty typical: bad floors, both driver and passenger, bad rockers both sides, looks like some roof issues - I hope not too bad. Cell phone pictures - will do better when I can get it into sunlight. Actually runs pretty well, leaking wheel cylinder so stopping can be exciting. Plans are to keep it relatively stock, rebuild engine, cam, headers, 4 barrel. Body off restoration starting with disassembly and media blast soon. My guy recommends glass blasting - any comments on that? Also - has steel bed. Is it worthwhile to change to wood? Looks like a lot of work and expense to me. Is the value of the truck with wood worth the effort/cost? Truck will be a cruiser. Will maintain the color. SPID is illegible. Appears to be all original. I will be relying on this forum and you guys for a lot of help!
Attached Images

Savidio44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
HeavyD

Re: New to me '69 C-10

Nice start, good colors too. For a driver I don't think a wood bed has any advantage. With fresh paint the inside will look great. If you are planning to use it as a truck, the tinted bedliners help cover up the battle scars. Normally I never used to like the look of spray in liners but after seeing some color matched they aren't too bad. I would save the $$ and spend it on a new door instead.

If bedliner isn't for you, one could always paint up the inside of the box and use a trimmed to fit rubber mat on the floor if you have to move anything. A friend did that on a Dakota and it saved the box from all the scraping
Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
GRX

Quote:
My guy recommends glass blasting - any comments on that?
Yes. Make sure the operator knows their stuff since it is possible to deform the sheet metal, even with glass beads.

Looks to be a great project. I like the 292 engine. Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Keep the 3 on the column: guaranteed anti theft protection!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Savidio44

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Keep the 3 on the column: guaranteed anti theft protection!
Unfortunately, the only apparent modification is a cheesy floor shift for the 3 speed. You are right though..........the young ones would be still scratching their heads .............especially if you parked it so it had to be put in reverse!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Fatherof3

Nice truck!
"Plans are to keep it relatively stock" this usually means the Porterbuilt boxes wont be showing up until the ten page of your build thread
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Savidio44

Need a recommendation for sheet metal replacements: rockers /inner rockers , total floor, cab corners, inner fenderwells. Where to get quality parts - your recommendations welcome. I also need a bench seat - OK to have just the frame with good springs as I plan to replace seat foam and upholstery anyway. Looks like a lot of work and a lot of parts!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
brawley
Easy Does It

you should look into soda blasting, that's what I did. strips off paint then you wash it with soap and water -fresh and clean sheet metal. It does not get rid of bad rust though, but you will be able to see everything that needs attention. Epoxy primer after you get sheet metal in order, and your ready for paint..
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Sorry to read that.....I love my 3ott. Floor shifts are easier to drive but they don't have the same coolness factor. Besides, column shifters combined with bench seats make for great date vehicles. :-)
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
flashed

Southern Kentucky Classic will have all your sheet metal and they are good to deal with.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote