The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Jay1

Smile Will a cummins fit?

I want to put a 24v cummins diesel engine in a 47-54 chevy half ton as my next project, will it cram in there?
Jay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
whitedog76

Re: Will a cummins fit?

It's about 10 inches longer than a stovebolt 6. So I'm going to say no.

You would seriously have to notch/setback your firewall. Move your radiator forward.

Not to mention the weight. It's pretty healthy. You would need a pretty stout frontend. I don't thing the 3100 solid axle is up to it. Maybe a 3600/3800 truck.

A 4BT Cummins would be something to look into.

http://cumminsdieselspecs.com/12v.html
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
DieselRat

I put a diesel in mine, would have rather done a cummins but the 6bt or 24v is way too big without mounting the sheet metal to a 4x4 frame and doing a ton of custom 'fitting' a 4bt would prob fit but again the weight and height are gonna be an issue without making a tram stunned, up to your shoulders. I used a 5cyl MB diesel and it's about the size and weight of the original stove bolt, and it was doable but took some head scratching. Check out my build thread if your interested.
DieselRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
mr48chev

The frame isn't strong enough to handle the torque without a lot of mods to it. When Dodge started using them they twisted a lot of Dodge frames with them before they limited the frames they put them in to the HD frames.

This is one of those things where a guy is going to spend a lot o money and work and end up with a junk AD truck and an engine looking for a better home.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
whitedog76

If you go to stovebolt.com , there's a guy named "Grigg" he's a moderator in a couple of the forums.

He's done a couple 4BT swaps, look him up. He has alot of info and advice.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
spreader

There is one running around my small town with a 4BT. From all outward appearances you can't tell. But, when he drives it is readily apparent. And no, doesn't smoke.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
mr48chev

4 bt is a whole lot shorter and lighter and they run all over town in those square delivery vans like Frito trucks and UPS trucks. They also bolt right up to a Turbo 400.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
Jay1

Im a huge dodge guy, love the cummins and own a 2nd gen cummins 24v.
but when it comes to classics, chevy takes it, so what's better then a classic chevy coal rollin cummins?

no other diesel beats the sounds of a cummins, seen this beast on youtube, cant do a 24v but, its a cummins!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
whitedog76

I bet you could cram a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel in there. It's dimensionally the same as a big block Chev.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
Jay1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I bet you could cram a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel in there. It's dimensionally the same as a big block Chev.
If I'm going diesel it has to be a cummins
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
I want to put a 24v cummins diesel engine in a 47-54 chevy half ton as my next project, will it cram in there?
usually if you have to ask, you lack the skill set to do the fabrication or finish the project.
not trying to knock the new guy or run him off, but there are a lot of people grafting this on to that in this forum
those with the skill set do it and post the progress and/or results

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
gale

Sometime last year I stopped at a Tractor Supply in Brenham, TX in my '54. When I came out there was another '54 parked next to it and the owner had stuffed a Cummins in but not without cutting out a lot of firewall. I just briefly looked it over because I had no interest in duplicating this feat and his work was just crude.

I drove away wondering why he undertook such a project in the first place.

At one point I considered a 6.2 diesel for a minute or two and then asked myself why I'd want to do that? I didn't have an answer that was the least bit rational.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
DieselRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
usually if you have to ask, you lack the skill set to do the fabrication or finish the project.
not trying to knock the new guy or run him off, but there are a lot of people grafting this on to that in this forum
those with the skill set do it and post the progress and/or results

I have to agree completely. Best way to find out is elbows deep and do it. A lot of the guys who are do-ers and not talkers, are out there putting one in a truck right now and not necessarily sitting on the internet explaining how they mDe it work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711157
DieselRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Russell Ashley

Ogre, you might not have meant it that way, but I think your reply was pretty rude. Apparently he doesn't have the truck yet to measure the size of the engine compartment, as he said he wants to put it in a 47 thru 54 half ton. Don't turn the guy off to this forum by telling him you don't think he has the skills to do it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
whitedog76

I second the rudeness. If you want to insult guys, go over to the Stovebolt.

There's plenty of guys that'll share with you.

I don't know about you, but I like to find out all the facts before I dig into something.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
gale

Another thought on stuffing a large motor in these old trucks is the weight. The Chevrolet 6.2 is much smaller than a Cummins and it was only offered in 3/4 ton and heavier trucks. And then special front coil springs were part of the package when the truck was ordered. I'm sure just the frame on a C20 from the '80s will weigh 4x the weight of my '54 3100.

That would be a good project for a mid-engine vehicle where the weight is distributed evenly.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
_Ogre

wasn't meant to be rude; more straight and to the point.
when a new guy asks a involved subject in his first post with no indication of his skill set i have to deduce from that what?
i have no doubt that i could do it, but i would do it and then post up the results

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
gale

Quote:
Terse is OK by me.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
roger55

This guy put a Cummins in his TF:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96173
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
Russell Ashley

Quote:
when a new guy asks a involved subject in his first post with no indication of his skill set i have to deduce from that what?
i have no doubt that i could do it, but i would do it and then post up the results
I guess it's the "is the glass half full or half empty" thing. He said the was considering it for his next project. I deduced that he had completed at least one project before, and you deduced that he had no skills. We just saw it differently. I guess we'll see who saw it right if he starts a build thread.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
mr48chev

Quote:

I didn't see any rudeness in it. What I saw was a real answer to someone throwing a pie in the sky question on something that if he does it he may well regret it when he is done.

1. Ogre, Orrie a few others and myself answer numerous questions every week posed by guys with obvious limited knowledge and or skills. At the same time we see answers thrown out by a few who think crude or suspect work is acceptable as long as you get the result and attention you want.

If Jay1 was asking about sticking a Cummins in a 1-1/2 ton chassis like the one I have sitting in my yard I'd say head on. That frame will handle any engine made that was intended for a one ton or lighter truck or a car. The frame rails are around 11 inches deep and over 1/4 inch thick and weigh about 25 lbs a foot. On the other hand without a lot of beefing and boxing a frame for a 3100 is not going to handle the torque of a Cummins for very long without twisting and or breaking.

It isn't about will it fit or how much work you have to do to build a doghouse around it, It's about building a truck that will handle the power and be safe to drive.

Take a 1-1/2 ton, hang a mid 70's 3/4 ton front suspension under it and a matching corporate rear with the frame shortened up so you can run somewhere between a six and eight foot flatbed stick the Cummins and matching trans in it and you would have a truck that while looking old would walk and talk.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
OrrieG

I did not take it as offensive either, but then I have been reading, responding and having Orge respond to my posts for a while now. Mr48 made the good points, anything can be done given time and money, just understand what you are getting into and how you will safely need to accomplish it. Brings to mind the low rider that filled the trunk with batteries and first time he tried to jump the front the frame bent over the rear axle and he ended up with the bumper and rear clip on the ground.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
48ChevBagged

I am in the process of a 48 chevy truck on a s10 chassis with air bags and a 4bt cummins with a 5 speed manual trans.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=599139
48ChevBagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #24
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'd say dive in and do it! Yes you can make it fit! Will it be easy? Nope. Will you lose some cab room? Yep. Will you have a better driving truck you can afford to drive in the end? Yep. Box that frame, do a frame swap, what ever you need to do. The fire wall will need modified and set back for sure. If I can put one in a 68 Corvette you can put one in an AD. 4bt's are alright, but for all the work, I want the power too.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
whitedog76

This would be cool