The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
larey

Angle Strips for a Stepside

So I finally ordered my angle strips and bed strips. I have already grinded my old one off and am getting the materials to put the new ones on. I am looking at bolting them on, but have a few questions.

1. When you put them on did anyone place any kind of sealer or filler between the bed side and the angle?
2. If you bolted them on what kind of spacing did you put on the bolts? As I do not feel real comfortable welding them on yet.
3. Once they are installed nothing else is needed as the boards are placed under them?

I plan on using the two already square holes to put them in the proper place prior to drilling and bolting on.

My truck is a 1980 C10 Stepside.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=622657

Thanks in advance,

Larey
larey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
tgh117
Crazy

Re: Angle Strips for a Stepside

I bolted a set on mine long ago. I believe I drilled and bolted at every 4th or 5th spot weld. It was plenty strong and didn't twist at all.

I put a little silicone where I made the drill holes to prevent any bare metal from being there, but I didn't put anything behind them, but I wouldn't think that would hurt at all to do so, and might even be better for it.

Once the cross members are there, then you just slide the boards under and put in the bolts through the floor.

Last edited by tgh117; 04-07-2014 at 09:31 AM.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Slammed84

That bed looks really nice man, wish they made wood beds for fleetsides. Did they?
Slammed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
kalbert

They did, they are pretty uncommon though and as far as I know w nobody is repopping parts for them. There are a couple aftermarket conversion kits though too.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Slammed84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
They did, they are pretty uncommon though and as far as I know w nobody is repopping parts for them. There are a couple aftermarket conversion kits though too.
I would love to do that for my bed, but I bet it would be a bit more involved with the wheel wells being there on a fleetside.

Guess I'll go with the ol' trusty spray in liner
Slammed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
larey

So I got in my two new angle strips from LMC and boy was I disappointed as the two square holes I planned to use as my guide to align all the others are not on the new ones. This leaves me in a few tight spots.
1. I still want to bolt them on, but now I will have to have them level and aligned properly before I make any holes.
2. I now have to figure out how to get matching holes on both of them to make it look good.
3. I want to keep with the carriage bolt look but will need to cut square holes...How is this done, drill smaller and dremel the rest?

Once I am done with the priming I will take photos and post and try to do a write-up to follow along with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larey
larey is offline   Reply With Quote