The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
ACK

Carpet or Vinyl Floor Cover

Everything has been taken off the cab floor so patch panels can be added and I'm thinking about what to put in it when it's back. I'm not concerned about noise or looks, I just don't want the floor to rust. Is there a difference between carpet and vinyl floor cover for rust prevention or is the jute on the bottom the issue? I've read a good amount of threads where the vinyl is poorly stamped, is there a vendor or make that stands out? This is a daily driver, durability and easy to clean are more important than looking OEM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
spacedebris

Re: Carpet or Vinyl Floor Cover

In my opinion, and this is just my own experiance, I say that a rubber/vinyl floor cover would be better for rust. I have found that the carpet simply holds the moisture longer and is harder to dry out. Assuming that you can easily remove the rubber/vinyl when wet to dry.

Now I prefer carpet myself for sound deadening and comfort but since you said that neither are a factor for you, I would go with a decent rubber/vinyl, something that is easy to remove, wash out, and dry. Combined with a good rust converter, primer, and sealer underneath would be the best bet. Again just my opinion. I have no studies or proof. Just what I observed with my own cars.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've read the same reports. There's a popular opinion that vinyl mats cause more rust because they trap water and don't allow it to evaporate. My personal experience is I've had very little rust in cars with vinyl mats, and far more with carpeted vehicles because as noted above it holds moisture longer.

I'm not sure there is a decent rubber OEM style mat on the market currently. That's certainly true for the high hump mats. I went with the MIP full floor mat, and I love the looks and durability. I would recommend it for anyone that desires this type floor covering, but do the installation during the hottest part of the summer. They are very thick and hard to manipulate. Heat from a heat gun doesn't last long enough to do much good, so wait for the hottest day in your area to do the install. The mats go well up the firewall and the back of the cab, so work it into position before any trimming.

The installation in my truck begins at post #219 in my build thread. I use cheap rubber mats to cheap the vinyl clean. Mine is nearly 2 years old and remains as new. A simple swipe with a damp cloth returns it to like new clean condition. For a daily driver it's great, although some question whether or not I had a spray in bedliner installed. It is also very dark black in real life. I doesn't look original, so some may not prefer the looks.

Here's a photo taken a few minutes ago:

Last edited by markeb01; 04-13-2014 at 04:14 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
ACK

Thanks to both of ya' for the feedback. And Mark, great write up on the install, I really like the look of the black pebble mat. I need to read the rest of your build thread, I enjoy the insight.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
kieth

We used the same pebble mat as Markebo1, then just added a stock rubber mat over it in the front trying to maintain a stock look. We also installed (from the top of the firewall to the top of the rear wall) butyl rubber w/aluminum sound mat (actually some roof repair material, then added closed cell foam insulation with aluminum backer insulation) now the truck is quiet and cool....cost about $2.50 per sq foot...........got it at home depot.....Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-SDQRkDS

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-HTG7Xwm

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-Zh5xGp3

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-XjWJ9tG

pebble mat
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-TJ6s3L4

pebble mat plus stock mat:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-VBbz2pG

worked out great, quiet easy to clean and dry as a bone......Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
ACK

Are you guys running the vinyl under the firewall insulator pad or did you remove the pad entirely? If you don't have the insulator pad, is the fire wall just painted?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The only insulator pad I have remaining is a small portion to the left of the steering column. The rest is painted metal, although I have diamond tufted upholstery to the right of the heater. I used to have another piece of upholstery over the trans tunnel, but I tired of the appearance and felt the edge of the mat looked better.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
kieth

As I said in my earlier post , we sound deadened the entire cab and added insulation, did the firewall floor and back wall, see the pictures, I did not use the pad , used the other materials.

Kieth
Old 04-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
As I said in my earlier post , we sound deadened the entire cab and added insulation, did the firewall floor and back wall, see the pictures, I did not use the pad , used the other materials.

Kieth
Thanks for sharing the photos, they made me wonder if you and Mark put anything on the firewall or left it as is. Did you trim the mat where the floor pan and the firewall meet or does the mat run up the firewall? I'm weighing my options of keep what's currently there, remove it, or replace with something else.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
kieth

The pebble rubber mat runs up to the top of the firewall. The sound deadner and insulation went all the way to the top of the fire wall underneath the rubber mat.....