The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
powell72

T-5 clutch question

For everyone running S-10 T-5's, what clutch application are you guys using? My truck already had the T-5 in it when I got it, it's the 1" input, 14 spline version. It has a 10" Valeo clutch, no part numbers, and my pressure plate bolts are 11 1/2" center to center. I can't find an application that is 10". Any help would be appreciated, I've search numerous websites and here, and no one lists what clutch setup they used. It's hooked to a 250 6cyl with what I believe to be the stock flywheel. Thanks.

*As a side note, I've already tried a 9 1/8" S-10 clutch and an 11" Astro clutch, one is too small, the other too big.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
treeboy97

Re: T-5 clutch question

I had a similar set up a few years ago; I ended up with a 1984 S10 clutch. The diameter was 9 11/16"

2012 Victory Cross Country Touring

I'm not wasting money on my truck/bike, I'm helping to rescue the economy one mod at a time.
treeboy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell72 View Post
For everyone running S-10 T-5's, what clutch application are you guys using? My truck already had the T-5 in it when I got it, it's the 1" input, 14 spline version. It has a 10" Valeo clutch, no part numbers, and my pressure plate bolts are 11 1/2" center to center. I can't find an application that is 10". Any help would be appreciated, I've search numerous websites and here, and no one lists what clutch setup they used. It's hooked to a 250 6cyl with what I believe to be the stock flywheel. Thanks.

*As a side note, I've already tried a 9 1/8" S-10 clutch and an 11" Astro clutch, one is too small, the other too big.

My Green '67 is the same configuration as yours. 250 I6, S-10 5 speed using the stock bell housing and flywheel. I purchased the Astro Van 11" clutch and pressure plate and the spacer plate for the tranny to bell housing and everything bolted right up. Does your flywheel have two sets of pressure plate bolt holes? Also depending on what year your truck is some of them need the adapter ring for the bell housing hole.

When you have some time to kill read this thread, if you haven't already.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-16-2014 at 12:13 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy97 View Post
I had a similar set up a few years ago; I ended up with a 1984 S10 clutch. The diameter was 9 11/16"
That was the clutch I ordered (9 11/16"), and when it showed up it was 9 1/8"??
The part numbers were the same, I'll look into it some more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
My Green '67 is the same configuration as yours. 250 I6, S-10 5 speed using the stock bell housing and flywheel. I purchased the Astro Van 11" clutch and pressure plate and the spacer plate for the tranny to bell housing and everything bolted right up. Does your flywheel have two sets of pressure plate bolt holes? Also depending on what year your truck is some of them need the adapter ring for the bell housing hole.

When you have some time to kill read this thread, if you haven't already.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

LockDoc
I only have one set of bolt holes, the pressure plate for the Astro clutch was bigger than the bolt pattern on my flywheel. It's tricky since I'm not the one who put this setup together originally. I have read Brad's write up, very helpful.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
That was the clutch I ordered (9 11/16"), and when it showed up it was 9 1/8"??
The part numbers were the same, I'll look into it some more though.

I only have one set of bolt holes, the pressure plate for the Astro clutch was bigger than the bolt pattern on my flywheel. It's tricky since I'm not the one who put this setup together originally. I have read Brad's write up, very helpful.

I think this one would work even though it says for a flathead...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathe...ion,38143.html

They also show a 10" in the related ads below that one.

Here is what one reviewer said: "I needed the 14 spline hub to install the s-10 t-5 to a 283 in my 46 Ford. The 10.5 inch disk Speedway sells worked great."

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
jocko

Chris, here's a thread I did a while back on a 66. I used an Astro clutch/pressure plate/release bearing - I'm surprised that it won't bolt to your flywheel. So, this may not be much help, but here you go: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069 My only advice would be to buy the full clutch/pp/rel bearing combo kit so that you have the proper "stack" height (i.e. total combined horizontal distance from the flywheel surface to the back rear of the release bearing (so, really, the clutch disk doesn't come into the calculation very much)). The reason is that some setups use "shorter" pressure plates and "longer" release bearing - or vice versa. If you mix and match em you can end up with a short+short setup or a long+long setup and not realize it until you button it all up and it binds or messes up the throwout arm geometry a little bit. You could get lucky, but I've always tried to buy all 3 pieces together. it all has to fit in the same depth bell housing, but GM had different pp/release brg setups to fill that space.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Chris, here's a thread I did a while back on a 66. I used an Astro clutch/pressure plate/release bearing - I'm surprised that it won't bolt to your flywheel. So, this may not be much help, but here you go: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069 My only advice would be to buy the full clutch/pp/rel bearing combo kit so that you have the proper "stack" height (i.e. total combined horizontal distance from the flywheel surface to the back rear of the release bearing (so, really, the clutch disk doesn't come into the calculation very much)). The reason is that some setups use "shorter" pressure plates and "longer" release bearing - or vice versa. If you mix and match em you can end up with a short+short setup or a long+long setup and not realize it until you button it all up and it binds or messes up the throwout arm geometry a little bit. You could get lucky, but I've always tried to buy all 3 pieces together. it all has to fit in the same depth bell housing, but GM had different pp/release brg setups to fill that space.

I agree, thanks guys for the help. Leon, thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind as an option.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I agree, thanks guys for the help. Leon, thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind as an option.

Be sure and let us know what you end up doing. It's always helpful in the future.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
hugger6933

I was luck enough to get two T-5's. One Camaro , One S-10. I plan to do the hybrid trans thing and what I understand with that setup still use the bellhousing and stuff that is in the truck now. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
powell72

Quote:
Be sure and let us know what you end up doing. It's always helpful in the future.

LockDoc
I definitely will.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
jocko

Camaro WC main case and s10 tail shaft hsg solves all problems. No spacer req and proper stick placement. Best combo, but not all are lucky enough to score two trans! Nice

Last edited by jocko; 07-01-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
powell72

So, I ordered another 9 11/16" clutch from O'Reilly's, they listed a different number than the 9 1/8" clutch, unlike Auto Zone, but the pressure plate bolt pattern was too small. I ended up ordering the 10" disc from Speedway and I'm going to reuse my pressure plate for two reasons, it looked fairly new, and I'm tight on funds right now. The Speedway disc showed up yesterday and looks like just what I needed. I also ordered a new throw out bearing for an S-10 and pilot bushing for my truck. I'm sorry I don't have any more good info other than that at this time, but this is the same setup that was already in the truck and was working good before I pulled the engine, so I should be fine.

If I need to pull the trans again at some point it won't be difficult at all since I removed the factory bellhousing mount crossmember and I'm running a CPP tubular crossmember instead. I'll update this good or bad when I get the truck running.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
So, I ordered another 9 11/16" clutch from O'Reilly's, they listed a different number than the 9 1/8" clutch, unlike Auto Zone, but the pressure plate bolt pattern was too small. I ended up ordering the 10" disc from Speedway and I'm going to reuse my pressure plate for two reasons, it looked fairly new, and I'm tight on funds right now. The Speedway disc showed up yesterday and looks like just what I needed. I also ordered a new throw out bearing for an S-10 and pilot bushing for my truck. I'm sorry I don't have any more good info other than that at this time, but this is the same setup that was already in the truck and was working good before I pulled the engine, so I should be fine.

If I need to pull the trans again at some point it won't be difficult at all since I removed the factory bellhousing mount crossmember and I'm running a CPP tubular crossmember instead. I'll update this good or bad when I get the truck running.
If you're re-using the pressure plate and the new release bearing is the same length (front to back) as the one you had before, you should be good to go. I'd check that pressure plate closely - any heat cracks/checking and you might as well save some more $ and do it right. If it's good to go but glazed, you can scuff it with some emery paper a little bit to freshen it up.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #14
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Make sure the new TO brg. matches up with the one that was with the pressure plate you are going to use. There are 2 different lengths. If you get the wrong one you have release problems.
I will definitely check it when it gets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If you're re-using the pressure plate and the new release bearing is the same length (front to back) as the one you had before, you should be good to go. I'd check that pressure plate closely - any heat cracks/checking and you might as well save some more $ and do it right. If it's good to go but glazed, you can scuff it with some emery paper a little bit to freshen it up.
I did knock the glaze off, and gave it a good inspection.

Thanks to everyone for the good advise.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Just wondering if you got this back together yet...

LockDoc

-
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Wrenchbender Ret

Make sure the new TO brg. matches up with the one that was with the pressure plate you are going to use. There are 2 different lengths. If you get the wrong one you have release problems.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
bigyellow

Talking Re: T-5 clutch question

i used my factory pressure plate with a clutch disk from speedway motors for a v8 flathead swap...i get creative lol
Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
powell72

I had it running and trying to get my carbs tuned, the last time I started it to drive it my PCV valve stuck and it built up a bunch of crankcase pressure and pushed the back of the pan gasket out...so the engine is back out, and ready to go back in. Should have it running (again) end of next week. I'll update then, but I had a buddy stepping on the pedal while I was underneath with the inspection cover off, it all looks like it's working correctly and the pedal felt great. I'll have a definite answer very soon.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I had it running and trying to get my carbs tuned, the last time I started it to drive it my PCV valve stuck and it built up a bunch of crankcase pressure and pushed the back of the pan gasket out...so the engine is back out, and ready to go back in. Should have it running (again) end of next week. I'll update then, but I had a buddy stepping on the pedal while I was underneath with the inspection cover off, it all looks like it's working correctly and the pedal felt great. I'll have a definite answer very soon.

OK, sounds good....

LockDoc

-
Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
powell72

Okay, finally got my truck running and driving again. The Speedway 10" clutch disc does not work. The splined part of the disc has a raised area on it on the pressure plate side that is too long and gets caught on the last of the splines on the input, closest to the trans case. By the time the trans is fully bolted to the bell housing the clutch disc is stuck on the end of the splines. I ended up getting a clutch kit for a 84 S-10 with a 2.8 V6, the clutch is 9 11/16", the same one treeboy used. I had gotten this kit before and knew the pressure plate wouldn't bolt to my flywheel so I used only the disc. My flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing, and everything else is 67 C-10.

You can't buy just a disc for the 9 11/16 clutch, that's why I had to buy the whole kit for the disc.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future so they don't have the same problems I did.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Okay, finally got my truck running and driving again. The Speedway 10" clutch disc does not work. The splined part of the disc has a raised area on it on the pressure plate side that is too long and gets caught on the last of the splines on the input, closest to the trans case. By the time the trans is fully bolted to the bell housing the clutch disc is stuck on the end of the splines. I ended up getting a clutch kit for a 84 S-10 with a 2.8 V6, the clutch is 9 11/16", the same one treeboy used. I had gotten this kit before and knew the pressure plate wouldn't bolt to my flywheel so I used only the disc. My flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing, and everything else is 67 C-10.

You can't buy just a disc for the 9 11/16 clutch, that's why I had to buy the whole kit for the disc.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future so they don't have the same problems I did.

Well that's a bummer. Could the hub on the disk be ground down for clearance or am I missing something here....

Thanks for the follow up.

LockDoc

-
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #22
powell72

Quote:
Well that's a bummer. Could the hub on the disk be ground down for clearance or am I missing something here....

Thanks for the follow up.

LockDoc
I could have done that, and it was actually my plan B if there was a problem with the S-10 disc too. I'm sure it would've been fine to do that though.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 AM   #23
RManson

I had McLeod build a custom clutch/pressure plate to mate the T5 to my 307ci engine. It used a 10.4-inch clutch/pressure plate matched to the 1-inch 14-spline input shaft of the T5. Bolted directly to the stock flywheel and I used the original bellhousing and clutch fork mated to a McLeod adjustable height throwout bearing. Worked a charm. Here's the whole story if you want more info...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...l/viewall.html
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote