The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Pargolf

New Engine Progress

Have not posted for a while waiting to see the final outcome of my engine issues. What started out as a bad exhaust manifold six weeks ago morphed into a total rebuild or buying a remanufactured engine.

Once we pulled my head to see why the engine was running hot, we saw the bad news on the block. My indy told me he can rebuild it, or we can buy one for about the same amount of money. The advantage to buying the reconditioned engine is that is comes with a warranty, whereas my mechanic's shop is just too small to warrant an engine long term.

We decided on the remanufactured engine, then the supplier could not find any blocks that were trustworthy, so more delays. I finally found two completely remanufactured long blocks at S and J Engines in Spokane WA, with a 7 year, 100K mile warranty for $1900.00 I have heard both really good and really bad things about S and J, but trust my mechanic more than anyone else and after checking them out he feels like they can be trusted.

The attached pictures show the new engine, pre paint (it will be painted Chevy/GM orange prior to installation). Yes, it is upside down.

I should be driving the truck again on Tuesday or Wednesday and hopefully breaking in a new engine. We are adding an electronic ignition and gauges to monitor the temp and oil pressure. I chose not to go with more HP or a V-8 or any kind of performance engine, just like my simple, straight six with the three on the tree for cruising around town.

More pictures to come next week when the job is done. Any recommendations for the break in process are welcome.
Attached Images

2011 Acura MDX
Pargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
bigmac73

Re: New Engine Progress

your mechanic or engine builder should have the break in info you will need for that particular engine
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Blazerowner

Re: New Engine Progress

Its cool you're rocking the straight 6. I would think it is similar to a v8. I first ran my new 383 per the instructions of the cam at I believe 2500 rpm for 20 min. If yours has a new cam there should be a breakin for it. Next I went 500 miles real easy and not hotrodding, changed the oil and just drove it like normal (hotrodding).
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote