The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
winningz

Engine in alaska?

trying to find a good choice for a crate engine. most places don't ship to alaska or the shipping is crazy.
I have found this Amazon.com: Genuine GM 12499529 Economy... Amazon.com: Genuine GM 12499529 Economy...what do you guys think? any suggestions?
thanks in advance.
winningz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
kalbert

Re: Engine in alaska?

Any GM dealers in your area you can order from? They likely will beat most shipping quotes because they'd have truck loads instead of piecemeal. Plus you'd be supporting your local economy.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
rich weyand

That engine is a low-compression engine running the L82/L46 Corvette cam, which is a 1960s cam designed for high-compression engines. Way too late on the intake valve closure, which kills the dynamic compression at low rpms and makes it a performance turd under about 3000 rpm. Basically, there just isn't enough static compression with those heads to give away that much intake stroke. Once you get it wound up, it's fine, but low-end torque sucks. Might be OK for a light car, but not a truck. BTDT, and I re-cammed the engine a year later.

Go with this one instead: Amazon.com: 350 Chevy Long Block Engine - 5.7 l 350 c.i.d. Engine: Automotive The only difference between these two engines is the cam, and you don't want that L82/L46 cam in a low compression engine. Trust me on this.

If you want to soup it up, install a Comp Cams 12-235-2 cam and the recommended lifters and springs. If you do it to a never-run engine, you don't *need* to change the lifters, but I would use the Comp recommended ones. That will give you 290 hp also, but will also give you 415 lbft of torque at 2500 rpm!

Couple notes:

- if you run the engine at all, even fifteen minutes, then you have to install new lifters when you change the cam. If you change the cam before you ever run it, then you don't, although you probably want to go to the lifters Comp recommends for that cam while you have it open anyway.

- yes, changing the cam voids the warranty, but the warranty is also voided by installing the engine yourself, so no loss there. Those engines are bulletproof, so not a problem.

So, save $500 on the engine, then spend a bit less than that on a new cam and the recommended lifters and springs, and you will have a really nice engine cheap.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
winningz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
That engine is a low-compression engine running the L82/L46 Corvette cam, which is a 1960s cam designed for high-compression engines. Way too late on the intake valve closure, which kills the dynamic compression at low rpms and makes it a performance turd under about 3000 rpm. Basically, there just isn't enough static compression with those heads to give away that much intake stroke. Once you get it wound up, it's fine, but low-end torque sucks. Might be OK for a light car, but not a truck. BTDT, and I re-cammed the engine a year later.

Go with this one instead: Amazon.com: 350 Chevy Long Block Engine - 5.7 l 350 c.i.d. Engine: Automotive The only difference between these two engines is the cam, and you don't want that L82/L46 cam in a low compression engine. Trust me on this.

If you want to soup it up, install a Comp Cams 12-235-2 cam and the recommended lifters and springs. If you do it to a never-run engine, you don't *need* to change the lifters, but I would use the Comp recommended ones. That will give you 290 hp also, but will also give you 415 lbft of torque at 2500 rpm!

Couple notes:

- if you run the engine at all, even fifteen minutes, then you have to install new lifters when you change the cam. If you change the cam before you ever run it, then you don't, although you probably want to go to the lifters Comp recommends for that cam while you have it open anyway.

- yes, changing the cam voids the warranty, but the warranty is also voided by installing the engine yourself, so no loss there. Those engines are bulletproof, so not a problem.

So, save $500 on the engine, then spend a bit less than that on a new cam and the recommended lifters and springs, and you will have a really nice engine cheap.
Thanks for the awesome reply! do you have a link to that cam you are talking about? I think I'm going to do exactly what you suggested.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningz View Post
Thanks for the awesome reply! do you have a link to that cam you are talking about? I think I'm going to do exactly what you suggested.
It's an awesome cam. I can't take credit for the idea, Sean Murphy at SMI Carburetors turned me on to it. Here's the cam spec page:
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=95&sb=2

For the numbers I gave above, you need to use a dual-plane manifold (like Edelbrock 2101) and headers (like Hooker 2453 for a K10). You can keep the Qjet, just rebuild it and, while you have it off, epoxy the casting plugs so they don't leak. Cliff Ruggles has a book on that.
How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet... How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet...

If there's already a third-party carb on it, like the Edelbrock 1406 or the Holley, that's OK too. Any carb properly tuned is better than any other carb that isn't, so spend your time and money learning your carb and tuning it properly.

I actually went with the 12-300-4 cam, again with the dual-plane manifold and headers, which is 275 hp at 4000 and 422 lbft at 2500 rpm, so I gave up horsepower above 4000 rpm (which I would never use) for even more torque, which in Alaska might be even better.

My bro spent 27 years in Anchorage at UAA, and I drove up there and back from Chicago before the Alcan was paved. Went up to Dawson City, then took the Top of the World Highway over to Taylor Highway and back down to the Alcan. That was basically a goat trail in 1972. And the road to Circle was no picnic either back then, though it was much better than the trip west out of Dawson City!

Anyway, if you go with the 12-300-4, it has lower lift, so you can keep the same lifters and springs (as long as the engine has *never* been run); just change the camshaft and you're done. The lower lift means lower stresses and longer valvetrain life, and it is a perfect cam for towing stuff or carrying heavy loads or campers or whatever. Also drives great day-to-day, with a horrific pull out of the hole.

Here's the cam spec page on the 12-300-4.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=70&sb=2

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
winningz

Quote:
It's an awesome cam. I can't take credit for the idea, Sean Murphy at SMI Carburetors turned me on to it. Here's the cam spec page:
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=95&sb=2

For the numbers I gave above, you need to use a dual-plane manifold (like Edelbrock 2101) and headers (like Hooker 2453 for a K10). You can keep the Qjet, just rebuild it and, while you have it off, epoxy the casting plugs so they don't leak. Cliff Ruggles has a book on that.
How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors (S-a Design): Cliff Ruggles: 9781932494181: Amazon.com: Books

If there's already a third-party carb on it, like the Edelbrock 1406 or the Holley, that's OK too. Any carb properly tuned is better than any other carb that isn't, so spend your time and money learning your carb and tuning it properly.

I actually went with the 12-300-4 cam, again with the dual-plane manifold and headers, which is 275 hp at 4000 and 422 lbft at 2500 rpm, so I gave up horsepower above 4000 rpm (which I would never use) for even more torque, which in Alaska might be even better.

My bro spent 27 years in Anchorage at UAA, and I drove up there and back from Chicago before the Alcan was paved. Went up to Dawson City, then took the Top of the World Highway over to Taylor Highway and back down to the Alcan. That was basically a goat trail in 1972. And the road to Circle was no picnic either back then, though it was much better than the trip west out of Dawson City!

Anyway, if you go with the 12-300-4, it has lower lift, so you can keep the same lifters and springs (as long as the engine has *never* been run); just change the camshaft and you're done. The lower lift means lower stresses and longer valvetrain life, and it is a perfect cam for towing stuff or carrying heavy loads or campers or whatever. Also drives great day-to-day, with a horrific pull out of the hole.

Here's the cam spec page on the 12-300-4.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=70&sb=2
Thanks again for the great information. I already had that manifold and headers in mind. That drive sounds awesome. I have only been in alaska for about a year and a half. I will most likely be stealing your ideas haha!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
rich weyand

Quote:
Thanks again for the great information. I already had that manifold and headers in mind. That drive sounds awesome. I have only been in alaska for about a year and a half. I will most likely be stealing your ideas haha!
Steal away! I think you'll be really happy with that engine with a cam swap.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #8
rich weyand

BTW, if you don't go with the dual plane manifold and headers (I know all about shipping charges to Alaska!) you will still get a tremendous performance improvement with either of those cams, you just won't get the full numbers I quoted above.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Quote:
trying to find a good choice for a crate engine. most places don't ship to alaska or the shipping is crazy.
I have found this Amazon.com: Genuine GM 12499529 Economy Performance Engine: Automotive
what do you guys think? any suggestions?
thanks in advance.
We have that engine in stock at ALASKA SALES & SERVICE here in Anchorage. I work there in the parts dept. I'll p.m. you the price if you want it.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
winningz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
We have that engine in stock at ALASKA SALES & SERVICE here in Anchorage. I work there in the parts dept. I'll p.m. you the price if you want it.
feel free to pm me.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
rich weyand

Quote:
Hey, BLE 'BURBAN, you got the GM #10067353 in stock as well?

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #12
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
I'll check tomorrow at work and let ya know when i get home.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
We've got 3 of them in stock at work. and cheaper than the other one t'boot!!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #14
rich weyand

Quote:
We've got 3 of them in stock at work. and cheaper than the other one t'boot!!
I figured you would have at least one. That's the most common crate engine.

There ya go, winningz, there's your starting point. All you gotta do is get it from Anchorage to Fairbanks. 360 miles one-way on two-lane roads. BTDT.

Unless of course they can deliver it through Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks. Probably a truck goes back and forth once a week or something.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.