The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
DS3685

70 c10 header, crossmember, lowering question

Hi everyone. Im working on my 70 swb 2wd with a 350 and T5 in it with stock motor mounts with v8 towers and in the forward position. Ive been searching and reading until my head hurts about headers and what people are doing for fitment with trucks that are lowered 5.5/7 (which im planning on). My problem is i have a set i bought off ebay and they are too low for my plans but they also hit the motor mounts and wont go far enough toward the front of the engine to bolt on and it looks as if i were to get them to fit they would hit the crossmember where the original 4 speed bolted up. I happened to have chevelle headers laying around (68-72) and tried them and they also hit the stock tranny crossmember. Im kind of at a loss because its not a matter or small notching or grinding its like they dont fit at all..Im assuming everyone leaves that factory tranny crossmember in even thought it isnt used?? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thank you
DS3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: 70 c10 header, crossmember, lowering question

If you aren't using the crossmember, take it out. Its just in the way if you aren't using it. Mine is still in there, but that because I'm too lazy to fight with the rivets....LOL

My engine is in the rear position, and I have Flowtech long tubes and they clear everything EXCEPT the Z-bar. I had to modify that to make it work. But mine would hang too low for the drop you are talking about.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
DS3685

Thank you. I plan on making the truck handle extremely well. Is takeing that crossmember out a common thing? I have to make one for the new transmission and i dont want to comprmise the frames strength rigidity by taking out that crossmember. I could make another one to replace it possibly but im tryin to brainstorm first because i find it extremely hard to believe that there isnt a quick solution to this
DS3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS3685 View Post
Thank you. I plan on making the truck handle extremely well. Is takeing that crossmember out a common thing? I have to make one for the new transmission and i dont want to comprmise the frames strength rigidity by taking out that crossmember. I could make another one to replace it possibly but im tryin to brainstorm first because i find it extremely hard to believe that there isnt a quick solution to this
When I put the TREMEC trans in I had to add a crossmember to pick up the rear of the tranny. It came with the kit from American Powertrain, and works great. I left the original crossmember in so I could use it as a reference point to set up the driveline, then I just took the mounts off the bellhousing so its not connected to it.

Auto trans trucks do not have that crossmember at all, they just have one at the rear of the tranny, so it won't hurt anything if its not there as long as you put in a new crossmember at the tailshaft.

I actually want to take mine out, since its in the way and just collects dirt, but I haven't gotten that far down the list yet. Too busy driving it!

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote