The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
oleguy

Question Questions about moving a gas tank

I am concidering moving the gas tank out of the cab of my 1967 short wide C10.I have a couple questions.Question (1) If I use a Blazer gas tank mounted behind the rearend, how much will the back of my truck go down with a full tank of gas, and how much will it come up with a low amount of gas? And how can this problem be fixed? Question (2) Is there a gas tank from another vehicle that will fit foreward of the wheelwell? Keep in mind this is a short wheelbase 2 wheel drive pickup. Any other ideas will be considered,and appriciated. Thanks oleguy

Last edited by oleguy; 07-28-2014 at 09:35 PM.
oleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Questions about moving a gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy View Post
I am concidering moving the gas tank out of the cab of my 1967 short wide C10.I have a couple questions.Question (1) If I use a Blazer gas tank mounted behind the rearend, how much will the back of my truck go down with a full tank of gas, and how much will it come up with a low amount of gas? And how can this problem be fixed? Question (2) Is there a gas tank from another vehicle that will fit foreward of the wheelwell? Keep in mind this is a short wheelbase 2 wheel drive pickup. Any other ideas will be considered,and appriciated. Thanks oleguy
Gasoline weighs about 6 pounds a gallon. If your tank is 20 gallons that's 120 pounds added to a truck bed sprung to carry 1000 pounds. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in ride height even if you used a tape measure. I use an ECE 18 gallon tank mounted in the same place and if the truck drops when I fill up I can't tell, but then I never cared either!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
68'CTown

I'm building a 68 C10 and I did a relocation of my gas tank. Here is my post of how I did mine. My gas tank is from a 69 Camaro and it will come out of the license plate.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607311

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611812

Craig

- Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is!
68'CTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
oleguy

Thanks for the help guys. (Fitz) I should have been able to figure the weight thing out, but I was making it to complicated. Since you have done this swap do you have any advice or things to lookout for? (68'CTown)The Camaro tank filling behind the license plate looks real cool, and it looks like you are real craftsman building an excelant truck.However I beleve that I will go with the Blazer tank filling from the side.I do have one question. In your post with pictures you mentioned that you didn't use a Blazer tank because you didnt want to cut your frame.Will you please explain, as I am under the impression it will fit betyeen the fraim rails? Thanks again Oleguy
oleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy View Post
Thanks for the help guys. (Fitz) I should have been able to figure the weight thing out, but I was making it to complicated. Since you have done this swap do you have any advice or things to lookout for? (68'CTown)The Camaro tank filling behind the license plate looks real cool, and it looks like you are real craftsman building an excelant truck.However I beleve that I will go with the Blazer tank filling from the side.I do have one question. In your post with pictures you mentioned that you didn't use a Blazer tank because you didnt want to cut your frame.Will you please explain, as I am under the impression it will fit betyeen the fraim rails? Thanks again Oleguy
I don't like the blazer tank. There are others you could use but it's just a choice like many others you have to make. When I built my truck I wanted to hide the tank so I did this with the fill in the wood bed:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
68'CTown

oleguy: Thanks and I first purchased the blazer tank and was going to use that one but when I went to mock the tank up where the filler neck was coming out it was hitting my frame where I had to cut my truck frame, then I didn't get any gas tank straps and the tank was sitting to high. Mainly the reason why I didn't use the Blazer tank was because I didn't want to cut it my frame.

Craig

- Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is!
68'CTown is offline   Reply With Quote