The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
baddaw

Exclamation 1980 Ls1 Upgrade help needed !!!!

Hey everyone,

I have a 1980 stepside c10 gmc swapped with ls1 (450HP)

and now im looking into upgrading the suspension and few other things

so here whats im looking for :

Defrential (12 bolt if u think its better)
Axels
Drive shift
Control Arms
Ball Joints
Springs
Shock Absorbers
Complete Boushing Kit

im looking for more control and stability so need high performance parts for a daily use and need to know what parts should i change and what stock parts can be fine.

And im also wondering to change it to manual transmision what do you think ? if you also think it would be better then which transmision do u preffer i should get for ls1 with 450hp ? ( not a 3spd )

i know that i have a big Question mark behind me im just new to c10 and allways wanted to build one, so here i am planning on what to do

by the way ill start my full project build in the project section as soon as i plan the whole build up first

badly need your help with this

thank you for your time =)...
baddaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Mr.Chevy4x4

Re: 1980 Ls1 Upgrade help needed !!!!

A 12 bolt is minimally stronger than a 8.5 inch 10 bolt. I ran a 8.5 in a 10 second malibu for a long time with zero problems. A good carrier, a set of axles, and c-clip eliminators will go a long way towards making the 10 bolt live. You would need to make the same changes to a 12 bolt if you plan on beating on the truck.

4.5/5.5 static drop with spindles/springs up front and a flip in the rear. Add a rear sway bar, and rebuild the wear parts while you are at it. Should provide for a fun street ride.

As for the manual transmission, the only one I would consider would be a T56. Would be a easy swap since they came behind the LS1. It will handle the power you are making.

Just my $.02.

Mike
Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
baddaw

Re: 1980 Ls1 Upgrade help needed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Chevy4x4 View Post
A 12 bolt is minimally stronger than a 8.5 inch 10 bolt. I ran a 8.5 in a 10 second malibu for a long time with zero problems. A good carrier, a set of axles, and c-clip eliminators will go a long way towards making the 10 bolt live. You would need to make the same changes to a 12 bolt if you plan on beating on the truck.

4.5/5.5 static drop with spindles/springs up front and a flip in the rear. Add a rear sway bar, and rebuild the wear parts while you are at it. Should provide for a fun street ride.

As for the manual transmission, the only one I would consider would be a T56. Would be a easy swap since they came behind the LS1. It will handle the power you are making.

Just my $.02.

Mike

well iv been checking out axles and c clip eliminators and here what i found

http://www.moserengineering.com/spoo...ator-type.html

What do u think ?

and im thinking on getting Eaton posi which is recommended by a friend is that a good idea ?

and as im a newbi to rear ends i cant get what is the (gears) like 4.56 and 4.11 ?

and how many spline do u recommend ?

im planning on getting 500+ hp in future so want to do it the right way dont want to end up with alot of rear ends
baddaw is offline   Reply With Quote