The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Jonathans55

Budget Approved Dillema (Which direction to go?)

So with only 8k to get my 1955 Chevy 3600 in the best running shape (Not Cosmetic) I am now at a crossroad. Rebuild the 292 that was placed in it many many years ago, or replace the 292 with some more meat (350 or 383). With this budget it included everything for the entire rebuild of the 292 or new engine, new transmission, disc brake conversion, new leaf springs (is this even the best route these days?), new exhaust, and wheels and tires. So i leave you with a question. Which route would you go? The route of the Mighty inline 6? or the Beefy 350 or 383? Budget in mind many things would have to come off the project for the 383. I am pretty sure my wife is losing her mind with my lukewarm decision making so hearing your thoughts would be quite helpful. Pretend that 8k is yours and tell me what you would do.
Jonathans55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
txclassics

Re: Budget Approved Dillema (Which direction to go?)

weekender or daily driver?
txclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Jonathans55

Daily driver. I feel like if im putting in blood, sweat and tears into something i am going to want to enjoy it every single day.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
txclassics

Nothing wrong with a stout built 355. my daily driver consists of parts found on my back yard or friends back yards but its pretty reliable. 1972 c10 step side sbc327 th400 nothing too fancy but it has electric seats, electric windows, aftermarket a/c, and it turns heads when I drive her around.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Jonathans55

Honestly being in nevada i have driven this truck in 120 degrees without AC no problem. i dont mind it to be honest. I dont really need the ammenities or luxeries. I just want a drive train that if i wanted to one day i could drive her where ever i want her to go.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

The whole decision rides on what you WANT. So Whaddaya want? A reliable daily driver? Safer I assume since you want disc brakes, so you also probably also want seat belts. Did I say daily? Then you need a good re upholstery job. You mentioned wheels & tires. Is stockers ok in your vision or do you want aftermarket rims? It's all those choices.

Personally, I'd keep the straight six 292. Straight sixes are cool and they're just not seen as much. Plus the 292 is a strong running BIG six. And I THINK it'll be just as cheap as a conversion to a V8 depending how much work you do yourself.

Do you want to lower the truck? IF you do you can use a dropped axle or if you don't want any lowering just rebuild the kingpins, remove and improve the leaf spring packs by grinding a bevel in the leading edge where they rub on each other and put that Teflon stuff in between each leaf, then use modern properly sized gas shocks.

If you swap in Posie's Superslider leaf springs for about $400 per axle you'll get a mild lowering and since they come with the Teflon buttons on them they slide smoothly. A good disc brake and dual master cylinder kit from CPP is about $400 I think. Why a "new" transmission?

Wheels and tires can be as cheap as take-offs from Craigslist or big dollar brand new aftermarket rims and brand new tires, so a few hundred to a couple thousand depending on your taste.

I ALMOST think you can get a decent paint job on the truck too unless it's a total rust bucket and needs a LOT of rust repair. If you're tight on funds to get paint, skip it for now or consider stripping it, prepping it really really well yourself and have a shop like Maaco or One Day Paint & Body shoot it. They do lousy to non existent prep so any you do will be an improvement. They shoot a lot of cars so shooting it is the one thing they tend to do better!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-10-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
Jonathans55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Personally, I'd keep the straight six 292. Straight sixes are cool and they're just not seen as much. Plus the 292 is a strong running BIG six.

IF you want to lower the truck you can use a dropped axle or if you don't want quite as much lowering (or any) just rebuild the kingpins, remove and improve the leaf spring packs by grinding a bevel in the leading edge where they rub on each other and put that Teflon stuff in between each leaf, then use modern properly sized gas shocks. If you swap in Posie's Superslider leaf springs for about $400 per axle you'll get a more mild lowering and since they come with the Teflon buttons on them they slide smoothly. A good disc brake and dual master cylinder kit from CPP is about $400 I think. Why a new transmission? Are you going to an automatic or is your existing tranny a write off?

Wheels and tires can be as cheap as take-offs from Craigslist or big dollar brand new aftermarket rims and brand new tires, so a few hundred to a couple thousand depending on your taste.

I ALMOST think you can get a decent paint job on the truck too unless it's a total rust bucket and needs a LOT of rust repair. If you're tight on funds to get paint, skip it for now or consider stripping it, prepping it really really well yourself and have a shop like Maaco or One Day Paint & Body shoot it. They do lousy to non existent prep so any you do will be an improvement. They shoot a lot of cars so shooting it is the one thing they tend to do better!
Well here we go. I want a truck i can jump in and drive cross country if need be. With the rear gear ratio im sure a 4.11 or so havent taken the 5 minutes to jack her up and see yet but im lucky to get 55 on the interstate maxing out my RPMs. I was looking at the 700R4 that way i dont have to replace the rear (correct me if my thinking is wrong here) and be able to go the actual speed limit without pushing 5k in RPMs. I do love my 292 dont get me wrong i really do im honestly looking at the amount of time it will take to rebuild it next to buying a new crate.
Body work will be last on any agenda. i will do all the sanding and priming and patch work and may even the pain. Hey its a learning experience right? I love to learn so even if i mess something up ill learn for a future project. I am a Novice at best but i take direction well and can read schematics like a champ so thats that.
Onto the suspension subject i was actually looking at posies as well.
Tires are an easy find. Wheels...... different story. Everything i found and read on i would have around 3 inches of back space but i hear wheel vintiques should have what i need.
My biggest nightmare will be the wiring harness install. i got it from AAM and its all Gm color coted but i cannot explain my hatred for electrical work on this forum.
I guess you can say im in a state of frustration and a little overwhelmed. I am sure many others have been in this state in the beginning stages. I am just trying to focus on the end result.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Jonathans55

seeing your engine really makes me want to just rebuild mine now. It looks amazing. What did all of that run you? What transmission do you have in her now?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
txclassics

Are you planning to build the 383 or you having someone else building it or ordering a crate engine? A crate 383 will run you easily 5 grand from air filter to oil pan. I know cause a close friend of mine recently dropped one from Summit in his !980 Malibu and man is it fun to drive.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
Jonathans55

Quote:
Originally Posted by txclassics View Post
Are you planning to build the 383 or you having someone else building it or ordering a crate engine? A crate 383 will run you easily 5 grand from air filter to oil pan. I know cause a close friend of mine recently dropped one from Summit in his !980 Malibu and man is it fun to drive.
Well I realize a crate 383 would run a steep amount. That and a 700R4 is around 7k. 90% of my budget soooo thats more of a dream i think? maybe? My Commanding Officer AKA wife, would probably burn me at the stake if i tried to squeeze that into this build. Rebuilding this 292 sounds like the best decision for me, but i guess i am just nervous about doing all of this work myself my first time. Gotta learn sometime right? Ive been reading the 292 rebuild book i bought and well guess its just nerves getting to me.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #11
Burbanaro

Its all in the planning....Im just getting ready to start working on my 57 Burb I would love to have an 8K budget. I dont plan on having half that in my whole build. I picked up a 95 Z/28 85,000 miles runs perfect for $800 off craigslist body is totaled but running gear is strong. I will use the the motor,trans and rearend then part out the rest. Ive already recouped $400 from parts of the camaro I won't use. The 292 would be kinda cool and differant you will still want an overdrive trans.
Burbanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
Jonathans55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbanaro View Post
Its all in the planning....Im just getting ready to start working on my 57 Burb I would love to have an 8K budget. I dont plan on having half that in my whole build. I picked up a 95 Z/28 85,000 miles runs perfect for $800 off craigslist body is totaled but running gear is strong. I will use the the motor,trans and rearend then part out the rest. Ive already recouped $400 from parts of the camaro I won't use. The 292 would be kinda cool and differant you will still want an overdrive trans.
Thats all im doing now is planning and racking my brain! its killing me lol. hell finding a way to do a disc brake convert on it.... driving me nuts. All in good fun though.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #13
Burbanaro

That how I came up with Burbanaro my Burb will be all camaro running gear 79 Z-28 front subframe(disc brakes) then all 95 Z-28 camaro motor trans and rearend. Half the fun is planning the other half is finding out if you are right. My hope is to build a rig I can drive cross country in comfort and style.
Burbanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
1project2many

My suggestion is to use a modern engine/trans combination obtained for fairly low money then start with Dan's suggestions to make the chassis and front end a bit more driver friendly. The disc brake upgrade is a good idea and power brakes just make those long trips easier. Power steering isn't necessary but it sure can be nice. Leaf springs that allow suspension travel and take the buckboard ride out of the truck make all your trips better.

For many years an engine budget always went farther with a smallblock than any other engine. I believe the LS engine family has replaced the smallblock to some extent these days. Either way, choosing an engine that is fairly current and easy to find parts for means your less likely to be stuck, stranded, and frustrated if you break down far from home. Carburetors, points, and distributors are foreign language to most techs these days. Parts stores, at least in this part of the country, rarely stock anything for cars older than 1990 and many of the older parts are NLA anyway. If your considering traveling long distance it's wise to consider what life will be like if you break down.

The mighty 292, remembered for the torque it produced in its day, isn't so mighty these days. Factory numbers are 147hp and 262 ft/lbs as installed. The Colorado 223 I5 is rated at 242 hp and 242 ft/lbs and is lighter weight as well. The 5.3 used in many full size trucks rates at 255hp and 280 ft/lbs and would out pull any engine originally installed in your rig and probably get better mileage as well. I'd look around for a 2wd donor pickup with 5.3 / 4L60E.

Last edited by 1project2many; 09-10-2014 at 08:11 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
47 Fasttoys

I too would have to say go modern. 4.8/5.3/ 4l60E with wiring and accessories $3500 including shipping. Many different MII kits out there in the $2000 range complete. That leaves you $2500 for all the extras...column, u-joints, motor mounts. cross members, exhaust, PB set-up, drive shaft and a decent set of used wheels and tires. I think the 255 HP rating may be a little on the low side. My 4.8 is rated at 270HP, but even if it is correct to the wheels, 255HP to the wheels will burn tires all day. If you can do a little fabricating you could achieve the stated goals and still get good gas mileage.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Rob
Old 09-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
Coach529

Rough numbers, I have done my complete build for about $8000.00. If you shop around, I think you could do all you want for your budget.

The motor preference is totally up to what you want.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
OrrieG

For the DD I would either rebuild the 292 and put some goodies on it or go with a 350/355. I have not rebuilt a complete motor in 30 years SBC in running rigs are just too inexpensive. Current truck motor is a 4 bolt 74 that had 20K on a rebuild that included a cam upgrade. I bought the running truck for $400 and got an extra 350th and transfer case in the deal. Upgrade the rearend to newer axle with discs and 3.54 ratio, great for road trips and with the right tranny ok in town. Front suspension is your call, stick with the stock frame and rebuild or modify beam axle to your liking, or use a ifs kit.

VA ac will run about 1400 but even though you say you don't mind 115 temps, I said that for years too, but sure is nice to have ac. Wiring is not a big deal if planned and organized, look at my build thread, it was the first time I had done a total rewire and only had a couple of issues that were easy to find an fix. Most important is to break it down into groups of circuits and FINISH each one as you go. There is a guy Alan Horvath that has a great how to with pics on his web site that I used as inspiration.

Not counting labor, I currently have just north of $8K in mine. That includes the original purchase price in 76 ($425) and everything I have every done to it since then except gas and a few oil changes. Also include 4 donor trucks and 3 engine/tranny combos over the years. includes bodywork and primer to date. Cavet is that I am very frugle and good at finding bargains on good used parts.

Good luck and have fun. If you have the cash in hand and time it will be a quick fun project.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #18
yossarian19

I would be looking for a decent 350 V8. They are, as OrrieG and others have said, just too cheap not to. Put a 700R4 behind it (again, cheap & effective) and some new tires. Front disc brakes, hydroboost or vacuum power assist is nice. Fresh tires & refresh the parts that need it.
I did an LS swap for more but not a helluva lot more than the 350 swap would run you. Well, maybe it was a hell of a lot more. i stopped counting somewhere along the way, if that tells you anything.

More I think about it, more I think the Chevy 350 / 700R4 is the way to go. I just had to have MPFI and LS but, really, a TBI engine gets you 75% of the benefits at 40% of the time / money.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
mgchevyparts

It'll cost more to rebuild the 292 then to buy a stock, low horsepower 350. The Jegs 350 was what/ $1200 free shipping I think. I would then put the money into a 700R4 conversion for the trans, this will allow you to get decent gas mileage with the 350. 383 is a waste of money if you just want a good driver. Add a front disc brake set up and rebuild the rear drum brakes, add power booster and you'll have a nice daily driver, and upgrade the radiator. You should be under $5K
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #20
Jonathans55

ok i guess i have to ask this since everyone on this thread seems well versed in the disc brake converstion. Is their a thread for that? i couldnt find one. i keep seeing axle replacements and donor vehicles and other explanations on how to but im kind of lost. Secondly i cant find wheels for this beast. Looks like ill stick with them and replace the center caps if i can find one to fit.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
Jonathans55

Last question... I decided to go 350. With that said how am i going to mount this modern engine to the truck. Better yet how did those of you who swapped mount it? is there a kit?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #22
OrrieG

been discussed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610960
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
47 Fasttoys

I've prefer 1 1/2" thick wall square tubing for the cross member. Set the engine in place, which maybe off center with stock steering box, set the proper angle and build from the frame out. Use 3/8 inch round tube for the motor mount bolt. It's a good idea to make cardboard templates as you go. The other option, if you don't have the proper tools to make your own cross member is to buy an aftermarket universal engine mount cross member. Check speedway motors out on line, they will have about all you would need. Check out Coach529 build he did the same install and has a lot of good info on his build.
Rob
Old 09-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #24
yossarian19

Oh!
Avoid Classic Performance Products (CPP) while you work. I found my CPP stuff to be piss-poor quality backed up with worse customer service.

There is another thread on here about converting the 3/4 ton axles to disc brakes. I'd look around for it. I think Hollister Road Company has a kit for the 3/4 ton stuff (eight lug) - it's not super cheap, but then, do you really want "super cheap" and "front brakes" to be in the same sentence?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
Coach529

Do you plan on keeping you stock rear axle?

4.56 gears

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote