The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Ulysses

Introduction - New C10 Owner (Pics Inside)

Hey Guys,

I never envisioned me being in this crowd (67-72 C10) but now that I have my eyes opened my eyes, I have caught the bug and realized that I have been missing out all these years!!

Just a little background (Ill try to keep it short):
Name is Ulysses
28 years old

Owned a 91' Short Cab Fleetside with TBI/355 mild cam(212/218 .449/.456 on 112LSA) on 20s for some years and 18s for the last couple. I owned the truck for 10 years. It was my first truck and it was sad to see it go but it sat in the parking lot after i began my career in a different city while I drove during the week in a company truck while virtually knowing nobody. Life happened and decided to get married so I decided to sell the truck to a friend back home.

My C10 Story:
So after the wedding and the house purchase, it was on to the car or truck purchase. It was either 05-06 GTO with the 6.0 or the 05-06 Silverado SS. But again it wouldnow sit in the garage till I either drove the SS back to the home town (360 miles away) or buy a boat and put a Silverado SS to use. On the way into our community there is a couple driving down the road in a small hot rod which I believe to be an old Cobra with the 427 in it. So the wife proceeds to say (THANK GOD) "why dont you get a cool car like that?" My eyes lit up!! She is the Modern everything type and the 91' was not her thing. Well little did I know that she can appreciate a classic car. So as I was on performancetrucks I stubbled across a 69 C10 in Georgia. After some image research through google I got the bug, and I got it bad! I proceeded to do the search and look for a solid body with good frame and something I could possibly rework and build a motor and throw a wide set of wheels on to finish it off.

Eventually I found one in Miami and picked her up the following weekend. Didn't get the tag till the other week so I had to drive back down the following weekend. Picked her up in Miami and I love it! It hard to say this but I like her more than my 91'. I loved that truck! It had a little better suspension and leafs but man does it feel cool to drive around in this 71'. And a better running motor....but the project and plans are yet to come so stay tuned for the plans.

I will post pics soon....

I look forward to getting involved on this forum now that I have money to spend and change things up myself.

Ulysses
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #2
Ulysses

Re: Introduction - New C10 Owner (Pics Inside)

Here is a pic of the Old truck. This is my test to see if it work and I will upload the new truck Pics.

Ulysses
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
Ulysses

Here are the pics of the new truck. It was previously restored by the owner but there are some things that I would have done different so I plan to re-restore it eventually over time and get the Paint in a more even and pristine condition because there was a few corners that he cut like not pulling the bed for paint and leaving most of the body parts while he painted. the interior is in great shape with the typical driver side sag with most bench seats. I will likely relocate the gas tank and might reupholster bucket seats from a 454SS truck with the same design of material but I haven't decided yet.

Let me know what you guys think.

Critique all you feel necessary. I had and have similar plan that I have put together since about 2004 when I purchased the 91 but its now more involved and not so "Bolt on ish" so I will be getting dirty with this build.

At this point I am scratching my head on what I want to do with the motor build....(it has a bad knock and oil is leaking out of two cylinders so I am thinking maybe piston rings...Thoughts?

On to the pics.

All comments welcome.

Thanks for looking and stopping on in.

BTW, I am looking for drop coils and Spindles. Id like to do 4.5/5.5

Ulysses
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
Ulysses

Here are a few more shots including the bed and the interior ceiling.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ulysses; 09-27-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
Ulysses

Happy new Owner I am:
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
SuperC10Tex

Welcome from Texas!! Congrats, nice Stepper you got there....

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
midnight rambler

Welcome to the board, nice truck.
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
72 Super

Welcome to the board. That's a clean looking truck you got. Enjoy it!

Ray
Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Fldawg

nice truck welcome from north florida
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
slowcpe

Welcome and nice stepper. As far as what to do with the motor...you were looking at vehicles with 6.0s. There's your answer.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
ujsf01

Cool truck....remember, no matter what everyone's thoughts are, it's YOUR truck so do it the way YOU want it. Opinions and pics of other people's ideas are great inspiration, but it all comes down to that picture you have in your head. Some guys like the exact original bone stock look and some like the all out custom and some of us are somewhere in the middle. Most important, learn from what you do and have fun with it!

No, I do not know it all, that's why I attend tons of training.
ujsf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Ulysses

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I get a greater sense of passion and originality on this forum even though I haven't been around here long. Oh yes I do have a picture in the back of my head. Already comments from a friend thinking I should go straight bed but the "stepper"..?...has really grown on me a lot! I have seen a few dropped and done nice that look really slick.

I am not a fan of the tiny steering wheel either but it came with the truck. Im sure I will change it out to something. I really like the interior in older trucks to be original with the motor to either be original with hidden whistles under the block. I like the idea of the LS swap and Tranny but it's just over my head at this point. My thoughts at this point are......wait for it.........a 427 Dart SHP SBC AFR Headed matted to the stock TH350 tranny till I drop it and rebuild or swap a T56.

Im thinking about getting the short block with work and cam installed so I can bolt on accessories, heads, intake and drop her in once I am done and ready to pull the tired 350.

I started off wanting to keep it "original" with building a 383 but after seeing 600hp capable with like torque from the 427 I had second thoughts. Id like to build a camaro one day so the 427 could always work in there and put the 383 in the truck. Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Look forward to hanging out around here and learning more about these 67-72 trucks.

Ulysses
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
toms68cst

Love that red! Welcome aboard.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Carlitosway

nice looking stepper brother, welcome!!!
Carlitosway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
68shortwide

Go Fleetside! Join the dark side!
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
Go Fleetside! Join the dark side!
My buddy actually has one that's in decent shape that I thought about tabbing to have "two trucks". Im partial because I owner a fleetside for 10 years (91' above) but the stepper have a lot of character that I like. Especially in this bright reddish color. Believe it or not I thought it was orange when I first saw it posted on craigslust. I wasb interested till I asked and they mentioned I was red but the pictures show it really orange.

Thanks

Ulysses
Old 09-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
sboris

Nice little unit there. Welcome!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
WiggyHD

Welcome aboard! Those are some great motor plans! I still sit out in the lawn chair and look at the truck with a pad of paper. Then I make too many plans and start over again. I still think that is the best part of this hobby. Dreams, design, the fun in saying I did it myself, then the drive when people see it and wave at you... Yeah, it's a great hobby!

Mark
Old 09-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
Bennett68C10

Welcome to the board, nice looking truck you picked up. I really liked your 91 too.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #20
Katrina/10

Good looking truck. I'd say change the grille, replace the taillights in addition to the rest of your plans.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Good looking truck. I'd say change the grille, replace the taillights in addition to the rest of your plans.
Excuse my newbness but what tail lights do people put on? The grille isn't a priority right now but those are items that ill fine tune. I like originality and was under the impression yhat these tail light were such. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Guys!!

Ulysses
Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
Katrina/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Excuse my newbness but what tail lights do people put on? The grille isn't a priority right now but those are items that ill fine tune. I like originality and was under the impression yhat these tail light were such. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Guys!!

Ulysses
I prefer the looks of the original taillight/backup light setup. It's hard to tell exactly what you have on there now, but looks like generic tail lamp housings with no backup lamps at all. Plenty of pics of the stock lamps on this site.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Katrina/10

Not the best picture, but these are the original type on my truck.
Attached Images

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
hdff

welcome from the great state of TEXAS. nice looking truck, looks clean and straight. IMO you should keep it as "original" as you can. if you want 600 hp then sell it and get a chevelle or nova, something that was ment to go fast. something to consider also, you said your wife gave you the thumbs up to buy a cool old vehicle, did she mean a cool cruiser or a hopped up racer? a happy wife is a happy life!! you should freshen the 350 and maybe put in a small cam to give it a little lope, be dependable and do minor apperance upgrades, ie: scrap the tube grill, painted bumpers. a sweet looking original with a little suspension drop is always a head turner. anyway as stated in a thread above, it is your truck so do with it what you like, my opinion is just one of many you will get here and i am an "original" bias person. the main thing is you are here and we are glad you made it. there is LOTS of good info here. i just hate to see nice originals changed cause there are so few of them left.........

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 10-02-2014 at 05:20 PM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #25
Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
welcome from the great state of TEXAS. nice looking truck, looks clean and straight. IMO you should keep it as "original" as you can. if you want 600 hp then sell it and get a chevelle or nova, something that was ment to go fast. something to consider also, you said your wife gave you the thumbs up to buy a cool old vehicle, did she mean a cool cruiser or a hopped up racer? a happy wife is a happy life!! you should freshen the 350 and maybe put in a small cam to give it a little lope, be dependable and do minor apperance upgrades, ie: scrap the tube grill, painted bumpers. a sweet looking original with a little suspension drop is always a head turner. anyway as stated in a thread above, it is your truck so do with it what you like, my opinion is just one of many you will get here and i am an "original" bias person. the main thing is you are here and we are glad you made it. there is LOTS of good info here. i just hate to see nice originals changed cause there are so few of them left.........
Actually my sole purpose to put the 427 is not to go fast.I want the power at my disposal but not quite looking to be a big drag racer. I want a really sweet sounding small block that puts down that kind of horsepower while something that can handle and look good. Ill keep the original motor and once I build an old Camaro like I also want to do, I can swap motors around. I might repair the motor but its likely to be a long hobby/project.

I am very much into keeping it as original as possible but I want a balance. I will probably go no bigger than 18s as with my 91'.

Thanks for your input.

Ulysses