The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

installing new bumper....please help!!!!

Hey guys!

I really need some help urgently. I'm installing a new sport bumper on my 72 c20 LWB today replacing an old aftermarket step bumper. I can't seem to get the inner brackets to line up with any of the holes in my frame without the brackets sticking too far out. I heard you can just use the outer brackets as long as you don't plan on stepping on the bumper. So I got the 2 outer brackets onto the frame using the outermost holes and I got the brackets attached to the bumper. It's holding itself up now but I'm not sure on the way it's sitting. I don't know what's normal. Does this look right fitment wise??? Any help is greatly appreciated. I really need to get this done today. Classic parts gave me the bracket set they said would fit, but I'm having trouble with the inner brackets. Maybe I got the wrong brackets? Idk.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
kcsa75

Re: installing new bumper....please help!!!!

Sounds like you may need to modify the brackets. I looked up the bracket and I would think you just need to drill some new holes in the bracket to line up with frame rails. I would attach the brackets to the bumper like you have it now and mark the spot to drill new holes. From the photos is looks like it fits OK, but I wouldn't want to leave it with just the outside brackets.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
1972BlueC20

Ok I'm a dufus, I had the brackets on the wrong side. Ie. I had the right on the left and vice versa lol. Now I got the inner and outers on. Everything looks good, except it seems like the bumper is right where the tail lights end. Is this ok??
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Xeen

Here is some pictures of the bumper installed correctly with installation tips it should become clear how it all installs.

Notice the brackets are at a down angle.

Notice the holes in the top of the brackets those are for the deflectors.