The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #1
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

Question Exhaust Help/Hints/opinions

Well, I just installed a new set of Flowmaster 40 series (delta flows) on my truck. During the installation, we started it up without the tailpipes (so the exhaust just ended at the mufflers) and it sounded really good and loud. After the tailpipes were installed and exiting right in front of the rear tires we were done and started it once again. This time it was considerably quieter??? it is 2 1/4" pipe.

Now my question is...should I just get rid of the tailpipes and throw on some dumps?
Or (this is were I need the professional/expert/experienced opinions,) should I try putting on some fatter tailpipes (from the muffler back) like say 2 3/4" or 3"

I'm looking for louder/better sounding options here, so keep that in mind when recommending what to do...

So, anyone have any experience with this kinda thing I'd really apprectiate it and sorry about the long post, but I've been thinking about this for a while, seeing as all I have to do is think (due to recovering from my brain injury)

Thanks in advance.
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:47 AM   #2
miket

Mandarin,

Check out my site specifically the quick clips page...there are some good exhaust clips there...

In my experience the smaller the tailpipe the quieter it will be...this is also dependant on the muffler.

When I first bought my truck it had 40's on it with 2-1/4 all the way out behind the rear tires...it did have sound but I didn't like the tone....I had 2-1/2" tailpipes put on out the back under bumper and it got MUCH louder...when I installed my 502 I went to 3" all the way back and new 40 series.....there is a clip on my page...

Thanks to the guys from this forum who let me post them!

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:02 AM   #3
K5KRAZIE

HAHA, I just went the other way. I have some "older" 3 chambers and had 2.5" tail pipes added Megs 3.5" tips and loved how it sounded. I ran that set up for years, then the rear springs got in the way so I cut the tail pipes off at the mufflers. I will be putting some turn downs on them soon, the sound now is absoultly awesome!!

'72 K5
'06 mega dually
K5KRAZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:19 AM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

turn downs all the way man. i ran turn downs on my blazer when i first put exhaust on her, she had a 327. it was just the right sound and never got in trouble with "The Man" about it either.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

Cool...that's what I was thinking, pipes would be a lot of money just to sorta try blindly. Also I can just keep my old pipes and slide them on whenever I feel the need.

My ONLY concern now is that it won't look as cool, but I think I'm willing to give up looks for sound.

Thanks for the help and if anyone had any more suggestions, let em fly
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I tryed 3" tailpipes turned out the sides on the longhorn......it was so loud with the 40s Flows, that it didnt stay too long! The turndowns give a nice rumble in the truck, but my drive is gravel& with the lowered truck, it would kick up the dust & pull it into my garage(Aack!) You could try adding a set of 3 x 16 or 18" chrome cans to the ends of the pipe......if you have enough room. Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote