The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
esahic

Exclamation LWB cut to SWB PROBLEM. I need ideas.

I bought a 72 c10. It had a 90s step side bed on it, so when I changed the bed back to a 72 fleet side bed, I noticed the frame had been shortened from a lwb to a swb frame and it was cut about 2" shorter, because the holes for the bed to frame are off by 2"(I guess to fit the 90s bed)

I was going to just drill new holes in the frame for the bed, but then noticed the rear end and wheels aren't centered in the wheel well, so it looks a little funny.

So what I'm trying to figure out is, what should I do? Any ideas from you guys or is my best bet to just buy another swb frame?
esahic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
dmack91

Re: LWB cut to SWB PROBLEM. I need ideas.

Lots of options. Depending on your suspension, sometimes the rear wheels aren't centered anyway.

You could take another 2" out of the front of the bed to fit. If it is a stepside bed, this may be as simple as unbolting the front panel, cutting out 2" from each side at the front, and then redrill/bolt on the front panel again. I just reread your post and see you are using a fleetside, which means it can still be done, but there will be a lot more bodywork involved.

Another frame would also do it (I would measure both closely). With this your frame VIN won't match the body VIN.

If you have a trailing arm rear suspension, you could also move the crossmember forward the 2", and then shorten the driveshaft to match.

Just some quick ideas.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
greyghost

Depending where at in Texas you are, I believe there was a swb frame on craigslist in houston. You could check into that if need be.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Depending where at in Texas you are, I believe there was a swb frame on craigslist in houston. You could check into that if need be.
best option too do it right//rather than straighten out someone elses fubar that belongs in the dumpster perfect example of cutting and wackin with no ,real end in sight
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
72BigBlockBurb

The SWB "project" in Houston is mine. PO decided it was better to trim an little bit off the back of the frame rail to clear the final brace vs. modifying the bed mounts...or to remove some dealer installed bumper...not sure as I bought it from a go-between. Its a good frame and the rear holes are still there so it sounds longer than the original poster's custom frame he inherited.

I'm only selling because I bought the '67 patina truck "Tangelo" from it's current owner. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545293

It's a good little project, but when the wife greenlighted buying one already done that was what I was going for...well, I didn't think twice! I can now move on to finishing one of my other trucks.

Esahic...not sure where you are located. If you end up needing a frame, hit me up and we can see if we can work a deal if I'm in an area convenient for you. I'm willing to take it down to a rolling frame and cab...I just don't have time or manpower to pull the cab and sell it without the title or VIN plate for a reduced price from my asking price.

Good luck with your project!
1972 402BB Suburban-Finally got her back!
1982 Mecham Racing Firebird #21
2009 GT1 Corvette
2000 Corvette convertible
72BigBlockBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Don't panic... measure your wheelbase. Should be 115" for a shortbed. It's "normal" on these trucks for the rear wheels to look tucked towards the front of the bed (it even appears that way in the owner's manual pic below).

A 90's stepside bed has very similar dimensions to a 67-72 bed and people put them on these trucks (unfortunately) all the time on short bed frames without modifying the wheelbase.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-28-2014 at 02:43 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
no1udknow

can you take a measurement of center to center of your wheel base? I would be interested to see what your current wheelbase is? Also, is your truck coil or leaf in the back? If it is leaf, you might get away with an axle relocater bracket. I know they sell a 3" one for putting 57-59 apache's on 73-87 short bed frames.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
esahic

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
can you take a measurement of center to center of your wheel base? I would be interested to see what your current wheelbase is? Also, is your truck coil or leaf in the back? If it is leaf, you might get away with an axle relocater bracket. I know they sell a 3" one for putting 57-59 apache's on 73-87 short bed frames.
I measured and I got 114" on passenger side and 113" on drivers side. I eyeballed to make the front wheels as straight as possible, when i measured.

I also measured the gap between the wheel well in rear. The driver side measures 2" in front of wheel and 7" in rear and then on the passenger side the gap measures 3" in front and 7" in rear.

The truck is a coil in back.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by esahic View Post
I measured and I got 114" on passenger side and 113" on drivers side. I eyeballed to make the front wheels as straight as possible, when i measured.

I also measured the gap between the wheel well in rear. The driver side measures 2" in front of wheel and 7" in rear and then on the passenger side the gap measures 3" in front and 7" in rear.

The truck is a coil in back.
Wow.... get rid of that disaster! When you find a new frame, make sure to measure cross ways for straightness and look for accident damage.

Quote:
So if I get just the bare frame, Will I be able to bolt up my rear end and coils? Or is there a difference in frames from one with a coils and one with leafs?
It can be done. The front ends are the same (assuming both are 2wd trucks). The coil spring trucks use a different cross member that the trailing arms mount from. It's much easier to use the "same" frame. It can be done, but if you have a coil spring truck now, that should be the vast majority of shortbed frames that you find.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
esahic

I am located in DFW. Now if I went and got another frame, Would I have to make sure its a coil or leaf spring frame? or does it not matter and it will all bolt up?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
no1udknow

well, sounds like it is about 1-2 inches short. Unfortunately your only options are frame swap, use the newer bed, or shorten a short bed. Or sell it and let it be someone else's problem.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
I am located in DFW. Now if I went and got another frame, Would I have to make sure its a coil or leaf spring frame? or does it not matter and it will all bolt up?
I would stick with the coils-just my opinion though. All parts will bolt up as far as the cab and bed.

I'm not sure how quick you need to do this. PM me if you have any interest in mine-if you aren't in too much of a hurry I will be in DFW in the next few weeks and I'll be dragging an empty trailer up to pick up a car.

I will be on the road all weekend picking up my '67...but I'll keep an eye out if you need any info.
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
esahic

So if I get just the bare frame, Will I be able to bolt up my rear end and coils? Or is there a difference in frames from one with a coils and one with leafs?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:08 AM   #14
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
You really need to go with what the frame type you have already vs trying to convert one for the other. I'm sure it can be done-just not as easily. Is your frame coil or leaf?
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 10-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
esahic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BigBlockBurb View Post
You really need to go with what the frame type you have already vs trying to convert one for the other. I'm sure it can be done-just not as easily. Is your frame coil or leaf?
Mine is a coil spring frame. I also sent you a PM about the frame you are selling.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
Mine is a coil spring frame. I also sent you a PM about the frame you are selling.
PM returned...just got home late last night from my cross-country trek to pick up my new baby. 2200 miles later, she is resting in the shop!
2009 GT1 Corvette