The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Voodoo_Child

Custom Builds - Dash Cluster- Is it me?

I see a whole lot of custom builds out there. TV, mags, and was wondering if anyone else has the same opinion as me.

Why is it a 60k truck with everything custom but a stock dash cluster?

I am not knocking on the purest because I know what needs to belong in what kind of build, but the factory layout is bland when accompanied with a one off interior. << my opinion only

I began analyzing the major fault that I have with the factory cluster and for that matter, all other clusters that I have seen on the market and they miss the biggest issue. LINE OF SIGHT

So does anyone else see my gripe or am I alone on this one?

To accommodate my OCD on this, I have modeled my future gauge cluster.

All input will be welcome and appreciated.

Gauges for the moment are Autometer Ultralite II utilizing the new Driver Center for the turn signals and indicator and are set back at roughly a 10 degree angle.

Machining will be completed out of HDPE plastic.

Thanks
Darrell
Attached Images

Voodoo_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
mechanicalman

Re: Custom Builds - Dash Cluster- Is it me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
I see a whole lot of custom builds out there. TV, mags, and was wondering if anyone else has the same opinion as me.

Why is it a 60k truck with everything custom but a stock dash cluster?

I am not knocking on the purest because I know what needs to belong in what kind of build, but the factory layout is bland when accompanied with a one off interior. << my opinion only

I began analyzing the major fault that I have with the factory cluster and for that matter, all other clusters that I have seen on the market and they miss the biggest issue. LINE OF SIGHT

So does anyone else see my gripe or am I alone on this one?

To accommodate my OCD on this, I have modeled my future gauge cluster.

All input will be welcome and appreciated.

Gauges for the moment are Autometer Ultralite II utilizing the new Driver Center for the turn signals and indicator and are set back at roughly a 10 degree angle.

Machining will be completed out of HDPE plastic.

Thanks
Darrell
Hmm...why didn't I think of that? Good one Darrell (10 degree tilt). OCD is not always a bad thing. May prove a distraction at times (I always adjust my gait to the tiled squares in hallways) but never a real dis-ability. OCD has saved my butt more than once.

On a related, unrelated note: Paranoia. Hey, just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not after me. LOL
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
68shortwide

Wish I had skills like that! And nah you're not alone, I've yet to see a dash pack that I've fully liked on these trucks. Depending on how ambitious I am, I was thinkin of doing a 60-66 dash swap. Just a cleaner look to me. But I like where you're goin with your cluster. Need to go look at dimensions n do some math and research the aftermarket 60-66 clusters.....wish my school would understand the importance of researching truck builds!
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Tinkermc

looks very nice
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
69SCSS

I agree. I've had a few 67-72's and the biggest problem I've had driving them is seeing the 4 gauges on the bottom. I'm in the process of making a 3 hole bezel with a speedo. stock 5k tach, and the 4 gauges where the fuel level is, set up kind of like the Chevelle / Firebird quad gauges are. Still deciding on which gauges to use, but I want it to look like it could be stock.
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
1972RedNeck

I like the idea a lot.

I agree with 69SCSS. The bottom gauges are the worst. If you're going through the work, it might not hurt to angle them a smidgen more.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
JDR88

autometer make's the "cup's" for their smaller guage's. why can't those be used & turned they way so you could see the guage's
JDR88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
lousblown55chevy

Offshore power boat company called Eddie Marine offer angled mounting rings in different sizes and colors . They are expensive but well made .
lousblown55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Fatherflash

Ok, well...that's a lot of cutting to angle each gauge to 10 degrees. Rather than cutting each gauge location, why not angle the entire gauge cluster to 10 degrees?

Also, HDPE does not necessarily like temperature cycling (cold/hot/cold/hot) and may become brittle over time. HDPE definitely does not like freezing temperatures and is extremely brittle in these applications. Heat transfer into cold HDPE plastic, i.e. dash lights can cause cracking. This can be worsened through chlorine impregnation which is likely not a concern for this application. If you are heart set on HDPE, I would recommend impregnating it with fiberglass and adding a UV stabilizer to the cluster mount. You could more than likely add two plies of 7781 fiberglass through the cluster which would aid in retention if the cluster becomes brittle and cracks.

If at all possible, I would recommend using polyester resins and graphite fabric which would give you a much more durable cluster. Place UV stabilizers in the resin and you would likely have a cluster that would last longer than the truck. If you do not want the "graphite look" you can coat the cluster with a polyester filler such as DeSoto 8620 or 8620TG and have a smooth look which can be reworked and smoothed to your requirements.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
Ok, well...that's a lot of cutting to angle each gauge to 10 degrees. Rather than cutting each gauge location, why not angle the entire gauge cluster to 10 degrees?

Also, HDPE does not necessarily like temperature cycling (cold/hot/cold/hot) and may become brittle over time. HDPE definitely does not like freezing temperatures and is extremely brittle in these applications. Heat transfer into cold HDPE plastic, i.e. dash lights can cause cracking. This can be worsened through chlorine impregnation which is likely not a concern for this application. If you are heart set on HDPE, I would recommend impregnating it with fiberglass and adding a UV stabilizer to the cluster mount. You could more than likely add two plies of 7781 fiberglass through the cluster which would aid in retention if the cluster becomes brittle and cracks.

If at all possible, I would recommend using polyester resins and graphite fabric which would give you a much more durable cluster. Place UV stabilizers in the resin and you would likely have a cluster that would last longer than the truck. If you do not want the "graphite look" you can coat the cluster with a polyester filler such as DeSoto 8620 or 8620TG and have a smooth look which can be reworked and smoothed to your requirements.
I was just going to say that... but, you beat me to it. LOL!
Wow, that's some impressive smarts there.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
MARKDTN

I have never seen an aftermarket dash that I like. To each his own, if you like it, it's your truck. To me the dash cluster is one of the iconic things about a 68-72 that cannot be changed.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Steve Cole

I like it! I think it would look good in a full custom or a bone stock application. The one thing I would do differently is move the fuel gauge to the left side instead of the right. That is one gauge that gets checked regularly, and the lower right is the hardest area to see.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

QUOTE=MARKDTN;6905747]I have never seen an aftermarket dash that I like. To each his own, if you like it, it's your truck. To me the dash cluster is one of the iconic things about a 68-72 that cannot be changed.[/QUOTE]

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
QUOTE=MARKDTN;6905747]I have never seen an aftermarket dash that I like. To each his own, if you like it, it's your truck. To me the dash cluster is one of the iconic things about a 68-72 that cannot be changed.

[/QUOTE]

How about this one?
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
How about this one?[/QUOTE]

Is that the Vintage USA setup? I was drooling over that a while back... still using the Torque android app for my gauges

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
WiggyHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
How about this one?
Is that the Vintage USA setup? [/QUOTE]

X2?

To the original poster, I like to do it the way I like to do it. I see people cut up iconic classics, and it makes me cringe. However, something like the gage assembly isn't that tough to put back to stock if you decide to sell it and the buyer would prefer the stock assembly. I'm sure somebody on here would then purchase your custom setup fairly quickly because it is a nice layout!

That's my two cents!
Mark
Old 11-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
How about this one?
Is that the Vintage USA setup? I was drooling over that a while back... still using the Torque android app for my gauges [/QUOTE]

It's a custom Dakota Digital VHX setup.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I have never seen an aftermarket dash that I like. To each his own, if you like it, it's your truck. To me the dash cluster is one of the iconic things about a 68-72 that cannot be changed.
Agreed!
I have seen a few customs that I didn't hate. But, I agree.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Voodoo_Child

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

FatherFlash, I am using HDPE because we have a lot of it at the machine shop as scrap. and I will be able to prototype and hone the design in the coming months as machine time is available.

I though about the angle rings but in some instances, the look out of place and an add on, I have used them in the past but it was a no frills drag truck.

I kinda like the look and angle of the late model (07-13) gauge clusters and will move more toward that.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Darrell
Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
no1udknow

Gauges are for people who are worried about how fast they are going.... just like brakes are for people who want to stop....mash the pedal and go
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #21
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
Gauges are for people who are worried about how fast they are going.... just like brakes are for people who want to stop....mash the pedal and go
My Roadie was that way lol no gas,speedo, volt, etc nothin lol was fun ride though.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #22
Voodoo_Child

Like the dash pictured Hart_Rod and it look like it belongs. great features also

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd776.htm

maybe I can just angle the entire cluster with to subdue my OCD.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #23
kamikazekyle05

I can agree with what your saying on the line of sight, but putting in a set of autometer's really doesn't do much for me. I think looks wise, stock vs. autometer, stock wins, but to each his own. I do like the VHX though. I am curious on the results of angling the gauges turns out
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Hartrob,
Nice custom aluminum knobs... if no one else noticed.
They really set the cluster off without saying, I'm all blinged out"!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #25
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Hartrob,
Nice custom aluminum knobs... if no one else noticed.
They really set the cluster off without saying, I'm all blinged out"!
Thanks Cash. I wanted them to be subtle. I got them from boardmember TKORENEK. They are powder coated and then machined.