The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
createthis

Red face SoftTopper Install Videos

Howdy folks,

I wanted a topper for my 1971 Chevy C10 longbed, but I couldn't find one locally, used, so I decided to buy one of those SoftTopper things. I filmed the process and I'm releasing the videos on Youtube as I edit them. I'm up to Part 2 so far. There will be 4 or 5 parts, I think, with probably the 5th being a retrospective kinda thing.

Thought fellow C10 owners might find this interesting. I make a lot of mistakes, and I usually talk about them in later videos, so don't get too bent out of shape if I do something wrong in one of the videos until you watch them all. This is all vlog style, and I'm not getting paid to do this, so be cool, man.

Oh, and sorry about the audio on Part 1. I was trying out some new editing techniques to reduce the Drone background noise, but I overdid it. I need to re-edit and re-release because I think I can fix it. Part 2's audio is better.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/K57sGpn0j_w
Part 2: http://youtu.be/feDJcG5xO_I
Part 3: Coming this week sometime

Last edited by createthis; 02-02-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: sig
createthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: SoftTopper Install Videos

I have to say I'm impressed with your editing and camera angles! I didn't watch all the way through yet. Too many times I have to wade through rambling and shaky cameras to pull 5 seconds of useful video from a 30 min clip! I'm looking forward to the rest of the videos and the finished project. Stick around and drop us more pics and info on your truck.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Nicely done! Looking forward to part three to see the results.

Been exploring truck tent options for camping. Wondering if this could be another option.

What type of drone did you use for the aerial photography?
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
Nicely done! Looking forward to part three to see the results.

Been exploring truck tent options for camping. Wondering if this could be another option.

What type of drone did you use for the aerial photography?
I'm curious about the SoftTopper as a truck tent too. Throw down a foam mat on the bed for insulation and you're good to go! There isn't a ton of headroom, though. And there are no mesh windows for air flow, so it would probably get hot and buggy in the summer. Still, I might explore this idea some more myself. It looks convenient.

The drone is a DJI Phantom 2. It has an H3-3D gimbal with a GoPro Hero 4 black mounted, and an FPV setup so I can see what it sees from the ground.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
I have to say I'm impressed with your editing and camera angles! I didn't watch all the way through yet. Too many times I have to wade through rambling and shaky cameras to pull 5 seconds of useful video from a 30 min clip! I'm looking forward to the rest of the videos and the finished project. Stick around and drop us more pics and info on your truck.
Thanks! I'm always fixing or modifying the C10, so I'll just keep filming everything as long as people keep watching.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
MSHax

I look forward to seeing this finished, I've been looking for a topper as well. I have a bed tent I bought for about $200 on ebay, but I need a topper, and the softtopper was highest on my list, just never don't see them on classics
Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Great idea offering a install video. Not that these aren't plenty easy to install anyway. I use my Jimmy for camping, been through a crazy serious storm one night. But, one thing to consider if you want one for camping rather than a topper is a topper has opening windows with screens. Softoppers are either open or shut. i've never been too hot, but I've only camper in the hills where it cools off at night

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
createthis

Part 3 is out: http://youtu.be/5zRN19HchkI

I skipped a few steps due to technical difficulties with the recordings (ran out of memory cards at one point, and kept running into the 20 minute recording limit on DSLRs). However, I think it still gets the point across as I make a few mistakes and go back to correct my work.

A little bit of swearing in this one. Those snaps are hard to snap the first time. It gets easier after the top has been installed a while.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
barmanvarn

Kudos for showing you made mistakes. Personally I hate install vids that make it look like everything just works perfectly as we all know that is rarely the case.

As for the tight fit, I'm sure it's like the soft tops on Jeeps. Installing a new one in the cold is a PITA. It will stretch a little over time, as you stated.

For anyone trying this in cold weather, I'd suggest keeping the top in a warm area overnight prior to the first install as that usually makes it go in a little easier.
barmanvarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
createthis

Adds comedy too.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
joeydurango

For those interested in soft shells on classic trucks, I've been running a Softopper on my truck for several months and it's pretty sweet. Although Softopper told me they didn't make a topper for 67-72 shortbeds, I took a chance on the '73-up shortbed topper and it installed just fine. Here's what it looks like:
Attached Images

1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
barmanvarn

Love that lifted look. That's my plan for my '69 at some point.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

My Softopper is still a bear to snap the rear corners after installing in '11. Cold definitely effects it. The warranty is void when raising or lowering under 50 dergees. Probably about the windows. I found it's best to work your way back one snap at a time. You might think you could stretch it more pulling the whole length, but it doesn't work that way

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #14
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
My Softopper is still a bear to snap the rear corners after installing in '11. Cold definitely effects it. The warranty is void when raising or lowering under 50 dergees. Probably about the windows. I found it's best to work your way back one snap at a time. You might think you could stretch it more pulling the whole length, but it doesn't work that way
I didn't see that info about the warranty. I'll check the instruction sheet again.

I did unsnap the sides a few days after filming and everything went back together without much fuss. Luckily, I didn't damage anything if it was too cold.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
joeydurango

I've definitely opened the rear window flap in ~15-20 degrees. Vinyl's a bit brittle for sure at that temp, just don't even think about rolling it up. If it does crack, they make a solid canvas back flap with no window - friends of mine have had those sent out for free after the vinyl window cracked. As for loss of visibility with the solid canvas panel, well, the vinyl window isn't exactly crystal clear anyway...

And I second the "snap-by-snap" approach.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #16
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
I've definitely opened the rear window flap in ~15-20 degrees. Vinyl's a bit brittle for sure at that temp, just don't even think about rolling it up. If it does crack, they make a solid canvas back flap with no window - friends of mine have had those sent out for free after the vinyl window cracked. As for loss of visibility with the solid canvas panel, well, the vinyl window isn't exactly crystal clear anyway...

And I second the "snap-by-snap" approach.
There's certainly reduced visibility even with the vinyl. I was a little surprised how much I missed being able to see out over the bed on the sides in traffic. Just reinforces my desire to buy and install oversized mirrors. I think that will probably be my next project.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I flop the rear up on the top any time of year. Picture it hinging at the top and laying flat on the top. Since mine's on a Jimmy, the top is closed up when it's 50 out. But I'm mindful when temps will drop colder at night to either close it up before it cools off or leave it open. I have never removed or lowered mine since I mounted it. It's either closed up or my favorite, sides rolled up. I go out and brush the snow off when it stops coming down. Trucks and K/5s are same thing/different uses, or at least some. I mean, mine stays closed up all winter,except to get in the back. A truck one has nothing to do with comfort in the cab, other than shading the back window. On a truck it may need to go up or down all year round. I'm sure removing carefully could be done at any temperature, then warm it before folding or rolling up.

I have always wanted a truck with a top like this since before I ever saw a company make them, yet never have. I figured get a trim shop that does boats to make one. The first ones I saw made snapped to the cab and that's what I wanted. You could pull your back window out, and I considered making a walk-through. This was back when mini-trucks were big and the big thing was opening them up to the back w/topper.

Tim

Old 02-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #18
joeydurango

Yep, I missed seeing over the bed sides when in traffic too. Parking lots are the worst, trying to back out into a crowded lot. Sport mirrors aren't much help. But lots of time driving with trailers helps, so I get by...
Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I want to correct myself about what I said about the warranty being voided, I think that's wrong. More like "won't warrant".

Tim

Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I want to correct myself about what I said about the warranty being voided, I think that's wrong. More like "won't warrant".
Yeah, that sounds about right from what I read.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #21
createthis

Final video in the series (tailgate rail & velcro): http://youtu.be/NmAQsGOo1-o

Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #22
barmanvarn

Were the 2 smaller pipes different lengths? I ask because you mentioned centering the larger bar. Why not just measure both ends for center?

I mean, you did have your tape measure handy.

Again, great videos!

EDIT: Since you're saving money on not buying batteries, go get yourself some new drill bits. LOL
Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #23
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn View Post
Were the 2 smaller pipes different lengths? I ask because you mentioned centering the larger bar. Why not just measure both ends for center?

I mean, you did have your tape measure handy.

Again, great videos!

EDIT: Since you're saving money on not buying batteries, go get yourself some new drill bits. LOL
I didn't check. They were probably the same length. I suspect that would work too, if you were accurate in your measurements.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #24
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by createthis View Post
I didn't check. They were probably the same length. I suspect that would work too, if you were accurate in your measurements.
Was just curious. Had to poke at ya a bit.

You seem to have a bit of the OCD gene (as do I) so was surprised the tape measure didn't make another appearance. LOL

Looks really good.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #25
createthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn View Post
Was just curious. Had to poke at ya a bit.

You seem to have a bit of the OCD gene (as do I) so was surprised the tape measure didn't make another appearance. LOL

Looks really good.
Borderline autistic, maybe. I haven't noticed any true OCD ticks (compulsively checking things, or intrusive thoughts), but I have some family members who do have that problem pretty severely.

My biggest problem is that I'm mildly dyslexic. I can't ever trust numbers. They get flipped around in my head. 46 becomes 64, etc. So I have to check things over and over again to make sure, and even then I often swap them by accident. That's why I prefer not to measure if I can help it.

I also do some woodworking and we do a lot of measurement transfer rather than direct measurement. Even then I flip flop things by accident though. It's a curse.