The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Dannyboy1966

Engine performance guys I have a question

I have a 1986 GMC Sierra Classic, with a 350 under the hood. It's been a long time since I really dug into a motor, and as soon as it warms up I'm planning on pulling the heads and have them re-done they have a couple valves burnt. At the same time I've had some lifter noise the rattling click sound so I know I might have worn push rods, or a weak lifter or worn rocker arm. If my noise is from the push rods, or lifters do you recomend replacing all of them or just ones making noise? And if all of them should I go back with the stock lifters, or go with roller lifters? They didn't have them the last time i tore into a motor so it wasn't an option at the time. Thanks for any help.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Jake Wade

Re: Engine performance guys I have a question

Do you have a flat tappet cam now? You have to have a roller camshaft to use roller lifters.

Your valve train noise
COULD be from worn lobes on the camshaft. It would be sad to install reconditioned heads to find your camshaft is bad.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Bigstevex4

Push rods lifters are cheap its more likly the lifters or need ajusted.Theres the i wouldbnt change lifters with out changing cam crowd.I have done it before and about every 20 thousand on my evo RK change them because the bearings wear out in the rollor. If you find a lifter with a worn head you will nead a cam.
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Slammed84

Personally, I wouldn't mess with replacing lifters without replacing the cam too. Flat tappets are cheap, but if you don't break em in right you'll trash em. If you want a daily driver just slap a flat tappet in there.

Now if you want more performance, the possibilities are dependent on your budget
Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Dannyboy1966

Hey guys thanks.I appreciate the input. I thought i was gonna need a new cam if i went to the roller lifters, just wasn't sure. As far as my noise goes I just think it's something loose. I have plenty of power, and a nice steady even idle, with no bogging down or flat spots. So it's a great daily driver. I didn't get hurt one bit for $1900, the body is in excellent shape, the interior is all original, the dash has the normal earthquake faults in it, other than that it's a great truck. I'll tare into it in a month, and see if I can figure out if it's something loose or not, and get back to you guys and let you know what I find out.

Thanks again
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote