The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
mikevogt

6 cylinder power steering.

Hey guys have a 69 c10. Has a 6 cylinder someone just threw a integrated head motor in when the stock one blew up and didn't hook anything up. I didn't feel like dealing with that motor so grabbed a motor out of a 63 and threw it in today. Now the crank pully on the 63 only has 1 rib vs the 2 the other motor had. Anyone know where I can get the brackets I need? Read a little bit and it seems like they are a nightmare to find.
mikevogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
EARNHARDT#3

Re: 6 cylinder power steering.

Pretty sure you can modify the integrated head mounts to work on the earlier motor.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
Pretty sure you can modify the integrated head mounts to work on the earlier motor.
No mod to block necessary. Same bolt pattern. Brackets may be another story.
Might be easier to change out Harmonic Balancer for 2- or 3-groove 292-style HB. Is the crank snout tapped?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
mikevogt

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
No mod to block necessary. Same bolt pattern. Brackets may be another story.
Might be easier to change out Harmonic Balancer for 2- or 3-groove 292-style HB. Is the crank snout tapped?

I have the 2 groove balancer off the old motor. Can I used that on the 63 motor? I didnt look to see if the crank is tapped. Im guessing the bigger 2 groove one bolts on and the little one just is pressed on.
mikevogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevogt View Post
I have the 2 groove balancer off the old motor. Can I used that on the 63 motor? I didnt look to see if the crank is tapped. Im guessing the bigger 2 groove one bolts on and the little one just is pressed on.
I know the 292 has a crank snout diameter of 1.25''. I believe this is also common with the other [230/250] L6s and SBCs. The 292 balancer will work on any L6, but HBs from the smaller engines will not have the tortional mass to absorb vibrations from a 292, although they might fit. The bigger balancer on the smaller engine would work fine.
Since you have an L6 with an integrated head, we can imply that your engine is a 250, since I don't think 292s came with the integrated heads. [But I could be wrong.]
If it is tapped, the stock bore would be 7/16-20 UNF x 1'' deep thread. If you have a bolt hex head and thick washer holding your HB on, then it's tapped.

Smacking the HB on the crank snout with a BFH and a block of wood is bad for the internal bearings and oil seals and should be avoided. If the engine is in the truck and has no bolt hole in the crank snout, then you're SOL and don't have the option. If it is tapped, use the Harmonic Balancer installation tool you can rent from an auto parts store. Use liberal amounts of 30 weight oil on all points of contact and turn slowly.

The 3-groove 292 balancer is GM p/n 10141202.

Have a machinist inspect the old 2-groove balancer to see if the rubber bonding the inner and outer rings is still good after 40-something years.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote