The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Tree-50

Power brake pedal

Is the only difference between the power brake setup and the manual the little "clevis and rod" like this

https://www.performanceonline.com/Po...d-Zinc-Plated/

or is it an entirely different pedal as well?

I'm asking if that little part will connect my manal pedal to the booster end. (I need the booster bracket too)
Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Power brake pedal

I've never known it to be a different pedal from manual to power.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Tree-50

Thank you for the quick reply hugger.

I'm assuming that I just need that little swing arm to attach to the booster.

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Power brake pedal

Don't hold me to it but I think you will need a another peice for the brakes to work. Inside the bracket there is a pivot peice that the pedal rod hooks to and then another rod to booster.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
Tree-50

Could you post a pic of inside the booster bracket as well as looking at the pedal from inside the cab, please, so I can understand what you're talking about?

I keep reading that the only real problem is the rod is too short on manual brakes, which is why some have welded some threaded rod on the ends?

I ended up going through summit and purchasing their brake rod extension kit, hopefully it'll have what I need, if not, off to the yard I go.

Thanks!

I have oe style booster from local parts store, 71/72.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...FQwQaQodaWwAMw
Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Power brake pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-50 View Post
Could you post a pic of inside the booster bracket as well as looking at the pedal from inside the cab, please, so I can understand what you're talking about?

I keep reading that the only real problem is the rod is too short on manual brakes, which is why some have welded some threaded rod on the ends?

I ended up going through summit and purchasing their brake rod extension kit, hopefully it'll have what I need, if not, off to the yard I go.

Thanks!

I have oe style booster from local parts store, 71/72.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...FQwQaQodaWwAMw
I'm working and can't get to it. I'm not saying 100% sure but I will see tomorrow when I wake up. I'll try and get a picture.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Lattimer

If you don't have the factory power brake firewall bracket, then you will need to make or buy a bracket to custom mount the booster and adapt the rod from the booster to the pedal.

I think captainfab on the board makes the booster bracket you would need.

I did the swap on mine with junkyard parts, so I had the booster bracket and the funky lever mechanism that is inside it.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
If you don't have the factory power brake firewall bracket, then you will need to make or buy a bracket to custom mount the booster and adapt the rod from the booster to the pedal.

I think captainfab on the board makes the booster bracket you would need.

I did the swap on mine with junkyard parts, so I had the booster bracket and the funky lever mechanism that is inside it.
Yes, I bought the bracket as well as that summit link above. I believe captain fab was more for newer boosters unless oblonging mounting holes?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-50 View Post
Yes, I bought the bracket as well as that summit link above. I believe captain fab was more for newer boosters unless oblonging mounting holes?
The captain fab part replaces the factory bracket and linkage setup, but you still have to mate whatever booster you are using to the pedal. It fits pretty much any GM booster from what I have read.

I used a 90's GM truck double diaphragm booster on my truck with the original bracketry. I just had to shorten the input rod on the booster and make the hole in the end smaller.

As long as the stuff in the link sets low enough to get the booster rod to hit the pedal, you should be ok. The link shows for a 55-57 Bel-Air. I have no clue how close that is.

The issue I see is the vertical offset of the pedal and the booster. If the booster is in the stock location, its rod is going to be several inches too high to mate with the pedal. That was what the linkage was for on the stock unit, to transfer the rod movement upward. I believe the captain fab bracket lowers the booster to fix this issue.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
michael bustamante

ive added a booster to a couple 67`s inside the booster mount bracket you can see "Z" shaped linkage. top end goes into the booster and the lower end hooks up to that longer rod that you need to run thru the firewall and attach to the pedal in the existing hole. itll work just fine