The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
creed1969

Epic Vancouver road trip!!

I've wanted to do this for a long time...my brother and I are going to drive my Chevy 2100 miles from Lloydminster SK to Vancouver, and home again by a different route. Planning to do the trip from May 13-18. Here's the route, we will loop south thru Calgary first and return thru Jasper:

Here's our ride. Still just sporting the 250 and the 3ott. It has 3:73 gears.

I just installed a 110L fuel tank, and based on a conservative 14 mpg, I expect to burn close to 600L of fuel.

I'll be prepared for whatever breakdowns I can dream up, but does anyone have any suggestions? Yes I have CAA. Does anyone live along this route who might be available if I have a more serious situation?

I'm pretty excited . Should be an adventure!

Matt. 16:26
'08 Sierra Reg Cab, shortbox - daily driver
'69 C10 LWB, 250, 3OTT - summer driver
'98 STi Type-R (JDM) <SOLD>
'97 WRX STi (JDM) <SOLD>
creed1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
enaberif

Re: Epic Vancouver road trip!!

All I can say is make sure your cooling system is good. Going through the Kootenays and Crowsnest highway has a lot of steep and twisty roads. Its a beautiful drive so enjoy!
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Lou Boffa

Sounds awesome. Let's see lots of pictures...with the truck in the foreground!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Kennuck

I'm in for the ride. Keep us posted on your journey along the way.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Well God bless ya! Mine is a 250 and 3ott also.

I carry a "first aid kit" for myself and one for my truck. Try to be ready for whatever you might can expect. My dad's philosophy, "if I can't unbolt it, I'll cut it off, if I can't cut it off, I'll beat it off." One time he had to hacksaw a dragging tail pipe off so it's good he was ready. Don't forget a good flashlight. I carry a Protac 2L by Streamlight on my belt whenever I leave the house.

I would suggest a handgun, ammo, and pepper spray but this is Canada so you probably can't take those.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 05-06-2015 at 06:07 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Well God bless ya! Mine is a 250 and 3ott also.

I carry a "first aid kit" for myself and one for my truck. Try to be ready for whatever you might can expect. My dad's philosophy, "if I can't unbolt it, I'll cut it off, if I can't cut it off, I'll beat it off." One time he had to hacksaw a dragging tail pipe off so it's good he was ready. Don't forget a good flashlight. I carry a Protac 2L by Streamlight on my belt whenever I leave the house.

I would suggest a handgun, ammo, and pepper spray but this is Canada so you probably can't take those.
Nope you're right in Canada all we are allowed to do to save our lives is either run or throw Tim Hortons cups at the threat lol. Sometimes I wonder myself why I stay here. Sounds like a cool trip too.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Nope you're right in Canada all we are allowed to do to save our lives is either run or throw Tim Hortons cups at the threat lol. Sometimes I wonder myself why I stay here. Sounds like a cool trip too.
Well trac I'm sorry for you. Several states in the US are also "victim rich zones" by law.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
creed1969

Thanks for the support you all!
I would carry a handgun if it were legal, just sayin. But I still love my country! I grew up on the prairies so a trip thru the mountains is always a thrill.
I guarantee that huge quantities on tims coffee will be consumed on this trip.

Matt. 16:26
'08 Sierra Reg Cab, shortbox - daily driver
'69 C10 LWB, 250, 3OTT - summer driver
'98 STi Type-R (JDM) <SOLD>
'97 WRX STi (JDM) <SOLD>
creed1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
geezer#99

Nice truck!!
You got some snow tires to carry as spares or some chains for when you hit the unexpected snow north of Van. Plan for it!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Stop by Whitefish and I'll buy the beers!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #11
powerbench

Good luck on the trip. The weather is usually pretty good ,and I see your not taking the Coq. Make sure the brakes are good and stay safe ....On the way back, watch for wild life on the hope /princeton hwy( Bears on the side of the road) ..also watch for the corner around Whipsaw....trucks like to spill out there. If you drive like me , your gonna work that shifter out pretty good. Have fun...and if stuff goes wrong I might be able to help ( might be working nights but ya never know)
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Gillnetter

Good luck on your trip! The price of gas is going up daily around here.
1970 SWB 4x4 4 speed 307
Gillnetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Road trips done in a circle are the only way to go. Have a fun and make sure you have phone numbers for people on your route to help out in a pinch.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
Rabe

When you get to Vancouver I highly recommend you double back to Hope and take hwy1 to Cache Creek.This will take you through the Fraser Canyon which is a must see and way more scenic than hwy 99. ( google fraser canyon images) It's highly doubtful you will need winters,I drive this highway lots,all year. Good luck,have fun,and drive safe!
Rabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #15
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Snow in Edmonton today, flurries on the 97c & between Kamloops & Merritt yesterday when I was driving so you can hit snow anytime in the mountains here. I'd say a spare tire or two or make sure you have new tires as some of the roads are rough, but Manning Park #3 hwy they just finished repaving so it's a very nice drive now. I always carry a full tool set, safety gear, tow rope (you never know who you need to help lol), floor jack. Most of your trip you pass through small towns but there are a few areas with limited gas so make sure to top up before going through the mountains. Most of the highway construction should be completed by the time you hit BC so you should have clear sailing & not heat up too bad. Lots going on throughout BC right now. If you have any issues while in the Lower Mainland just PM me or put a post up in the Canada forum on here. There's a few of us on here. Otherwise have a safe trip & don't waste your time stopping in Alberta. Nothing to see there hahaha

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:41 AM   #16
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Great idea and I wish you a safe journey. I'll be watching for updates.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #17
Beaumont@

Cool If I were you I'd take Hwy 93 between Jasper and Banff really scenic, probably spot a bear or two
Beaumont@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #18
In The Ten Ring

This thread is inspirational you know!

Let me know how your truck does gas mileage-wise with the 3.73 gears. My truck has a 4.11 and I have been thinking about putting in a 3.73 for some time now. (My truck is the same as yours: engine and 3ott).

The first long trip I have planned for my truck is heading up to Buckhannon Co. to pick up (and pay off) the 2 rear fenders I put a down payment on to a forum member 1 year ago!

I also plan to do a lot of hauling for when I tear out my garage ceiling and floor the attic of both garage and house. I need to buy new furniture too so guess what will haul it.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #19
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Subscribed, road trips are my favorite posts here!

If you are running HEI distributor, be sure to carry along an extra coil (and/or module). Only time my '72 has broken down on a road trip, was because of coil that went bad.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
Coley

Smile Re: Epic Vancouver road trip!!

Sounds like you are getting set for a pretty great trip.
I definitely agree with Rabe about doing the back track to Cache creek rather than hwy 99 up through Whistler/Pemberton....still a little early for nice weather through that stretch.
Personally, I think the best leg of the trip will be the southern B.C route from the Nelson area all the way through to Chilliwack....I love that road! You go through the mountains at either end and then have the desert (Okanagan) in the middle plus some excellent high country. There are some great climbs on that stretch that lay waste to a lot of vehicle cooling systems in high summer but you shouldn't have too many problems this time of year.
Great Trip, Good Luck and keep us posted on the progress!!
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
Bucket of bolts

That's going to be one fun road trip.The Rockies are gong to blow you sask boys away lol.Iam 40 min west of penticton in West Kelowna.You should consider from Penticton to Kelowna nice drive along the lake then to Hi way 33 to the kotaneys Nelson ainsworth etc ending in Cranbrook.Thats big foot country and Kokanee brewery area as well cool little ferry rides for you and truck
Bucket of bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #22

Best of Luck! I will be back to see how the trip is going.
You will need the tim's app, and the gas buddy app http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/timmyme.php
http://www.albertagasprices.com/
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GB_Price_List.aspx?cntry=CAN
You can use the http://www.albertagasprices.com/tripcalculator.aspx for a fuel cost guide too.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #23
cooperhw

Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun to me. What a great trip to share with your brother. No matter what happens you will never forget it.
I don't live up there but I know a guy in Kamloops named Dan Bailey. I sold a 70 SS Chevelle to him a few years ago. Great guy. Have any trouble around his area he can probably either help you out or point you to the guy who can.
He's got a lot of friends in the hobby as well.
have fun, and take lots of pics.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #24
cooperhw

Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun to me. What a great trip to share with your brother. No matter what happens you will never forget it.
I don't live up there but I know a guy in Kamloops named Dan Bailey. I sold a 70 SS Chevelle to him a few years ago. Great guy. Have any trouble around his area he can probably either help you out or point you to the guy who can.
He's got a lot of friends in the hobby as well.
have fun, and take lots of pics.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #25
Coley

Smile Re: Epic Vancouver road trip!!

Here are a few recommendations:
1) Take some fresh water fishing gear with you (fly or cast)
You will come across some really nice lakes and streams that will offer a really nice 2-3 hr break from driving....maybe tie it in with the odd lunch.
2) Take camping gear and some very comfortable camp chairs. They are some great camping spots along the way including the provincial campground (Recreation area) in Rockcreek (slightly west of Osoyoos). Its right on the Kettle river and you can spend the evening fishing for some nice rainbows.
This is just one of many camping opportunities.
3) If you can, take some mountain bikes and/or a canoe....again, some great opportunities as far as the great outdoors go's in this province....its really something else. Plus these offer a minor break from a day long butt sitting exercise, which can sometimes get a little tedious after while.
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote