The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Where do you have your fire extinguisher mounted?

I want to carry an extinguisher but where do I mount it? I was thinking the trans hump as I have a column shifter and it would be easier to reach there than over on the right side by the door.....

What do you guys do?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: Where do you have your fire extinguisher mounted?

I have mine in the kitchen. Guess I better get it into the truck. I'm thinking just under the seat within reach while in driver seat or door open. Hope we all never need one.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
rustrunner

Mine is mounted between the driver side window and the back window. Just behind my head. Is located there, for that is where my dad mounted it in
1970. Could never move it.
1953 Fruehauf 30' Lowboy
1928 Cat 30
1939 TORO Bullet Tractor
rustrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Hook'em

Mine is mounted under the seat on the driver's side with a small bungee cord holding it to the seat bracket.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
leftybass209

It's important to remember that anything not secured tight becomes a projectile in an accident, and the accident doesn't need to be serious to sustain additional injuries from objects in the cab. I've seen many mounts that would not hold a fire extinguisher in even a 25mph accident.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
slomotion
Old Duffer

On the hump between the shift lever and the seat. My thought being it's easy to reach and use if I come on an accident, and it's just below my right arm if I am the accident.
Mounted on the kick panel won't do much good if the door is jammed, and hard to reach if you're stuck in the driver's seat. Under the seat could be hard to reach in some circumstances. Not trying to be too gruesome, but thinking through several scenario's I'd like to think I could protect myself as well as someone else.
Seems like there was an earlier thread on this as well......

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
71threequarterton

I went gung-ho on the heater box mount but I'm starting to have second thoughts about it now...

I'll probably never use my heater but something about "heater box" and "do not keep in high temperatures" in the same sentence sounds kinda funny to me, in a not so funny way.

I'm also wondering about the weight of the fire extinguisher on the box, if that will end up wearing on the box mount and make things sloppy.

Has anybody had any issues with mounting on the heater box?

Here's mine:
Attached Images

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Wow I like that! I don't think you'd have any problems with the heater box. If the box was that hot, it would melt your truck. Perhaps you could fashion up some insulator material (foam?) to go between the canister and the heater box.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
davepl

I always thought the area where the jack goes, beside the tank, would be a good spot. No one has a mount there I can copy? Don't make me innovate, people, I just want to copy!

I actually assumed that's where most would have it!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

It might fit well there, but would not be easy to get to. Seconds count.

I came across a flipped over car that was on fire about 3 months ago. However, I was late to the party: traffic was extremely backed up, 5 police officers were on scene, but apparently not a single one had an extinguisher. The fire truck was just arriving also.

Now had I been 5 or 10 minutes earlier, I might could have had some impact as I carry two extinguishers in the back of my daily driver.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
davepl

I saw a bad "semi not paying attention, crashes into stopped traffic" conflagration on the news last week. One vehicle burst into flames immediately, but something like 5 different people had extinguishers on the scene and they got it out.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I saw a bad "semi not paying attention, crashes into stopped traffic" conflagration on the news last week. One vehicle burst into flames immediately, but something like 5 different people had extinguishers on the scene and they got it out.
Very rare that so many people were both prepared and aggressive. Two things overcome adversity: being prepared and being aggressive.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
davepl

Well that -was- five our of maybe 100 involved. It was a big incident, and on a major freeway.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
35boulder

so...not to hijack, but what type extinguisher do y'all carry?
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
firedemon

I got the tall mega shifter so I'm thinking on the front of the shifter housing plenty of room right next to my hand all the time
Attached Images

firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #16
jeffahart

Name:  20150322_175809.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  39.2 KB
Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #17
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71threequarterton View Post
I went gung-ho on the heater box mount but I'm starting to have second thoughts about it now...

I'll probably never use my heater but something about "heater box" and "do not keep in high temperatures" in the same sentence sounds kinda funny to me, in a not so funny way.
Most Fire Extinguishers are good to at least 120F. Above that the gauge is the first thing that has problems, mostly with accuracy. You need to get the Fire Extinguisher above 200F before you have to worry about it rupturing.

Btw your mount is one of the best styles of mount available for that size of fire extinguisher. Unfortunately Amerex is the only one I know of with a dual strap mount like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35boulder View Post
so...not to hijack, but what type extinguisher do y'all carry?
You want a Fire Extinguisher with at least a BC rating, A = normal combustibles like paper, wood, clothing, etc. B = Flammable Lquids, C = Rated for Electrical fires meaning you won't get shocked using it on a fire with live electrical current.

So you want an ABC, BC or Purple K (has BC rating) that holds at least 2.5lbs of chemical, I'd recommend a 5lb though. There's plenty of room under or behind the seat for a 5lb but it's a little harder to get a good vehicle bracket for one. Amerex is the only one I know of with a dual strap vehicle bracket for 5lb extinguishers. Avoid CO2 fire extinguishers, they're great for under the hood when inside the shop but outside the wind renders them basically useless. Also avoid any liquid/foam fire extinguishers, they're gimmicks and often aren't UL listed/rated and if they advertise they are they're lying. The only liquid/foam extinguishers that are decent are the 2.5 gallon ones with the stainless steel shell Fire Fighters use, not something you want to carry around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustrunner View Post
Mine is mounted between the driver side window and the back window. Just behind my head. Is located there, for that is where my dad mounted it in 1970. Could never move it.
Yeah I wouldn't want it there but that's up to you. Word of caution, if it's been there since 1970 chances are pretty damn good it's not going to work. Fire Extinguishers must have regular maintenance every 6 years or less in commercial applications. For personal use I tell people to not let it go any more than 10 years. Anything made before 1985 is no longer allowed to be serviced so unless you have a buddy in the business willing to do it for you plan on buying a new fire extinguisher and likely changing the bracket as they're almost never compatible between manufacturers let alone 40+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
While something is better than nothing, those are the biggest pieces of junk out there. I've had customers bring them to our shop looking to get tags put on them and they were dead as they took them out of the box in front of us. We refuse to tag them because then we become responsible for them working and they just aren't reliable. Oh and the bracket breaks when it gets cold, just snaps. Get something with a metal valve assembly and avoid Kidde if you can. First Alert has some decent metal valve assembly fire extinguishers that are inexpensive and available at big box stores and places other than a professional Fire Extinguisher service company. For those wanting better go to a Fire Extinguisher service company and get a Badger or Amerex.

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-04-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #18
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Most Fire Extinguishers are good to at least 120F. Above that the gauge is the first thing that has problems, mostly with accuracy. You need to get the Fire Extinguisher above 200F before you have to worry about it rupturing.

Btw your mount is one of the best styles of mount available for that size of fire extinguisher. Unfortunately Amerex is the only one I know of with a dual strap mount like that.

You want a Fire Extinguisher with at least a BC rating, A = normal combustibles like paper, wood, clothing, etc. B = Flammable Lquids, C = Rated for Electrical fires meaning you won't get shocked using it on a fire with live electrical current.

So you want an ABC, BC or Purple K (has BC rating) that holds at least 2.5lbs of chemical, I'd recommend a 5lb though. There's plenty of room under or behind the seat for a 5lb but it's a little harder to get a good vehicle bracket for one. Amerex is the only one I know of with a dual strap vehicle bracket for 5lb extinguishers. Avoid CO2 fire extinguishers, they're great for under the hood when inside the shop but outside the wind renders them basically useless. Also avoid any liquid/foam fire extinguishers, they're gimmicks and often aren't UL listed/rated and if they advertise they are they're lying. The only liquid/foam extinguishers that are decent are the 2.5 gallon ones with the stainless steel shell Fire Fighters use, not something you want to carry around.

Yeah I wouldn't want it there but that's up to you. Word of caution, if it's been there since 1970 chances are pretty damn good it's not going to work. Fire Extinguishers must have regular maintenance every 6 years or less in commercial applications. For personal use I tell people to not let it go any more than 10 years. Anything made before 1985 is no longer allowed to be serviced so unless you have a buddy in the business willing to do it for you plan on buying a new fire extinguisher and likely changing the bracket as they're almost never compatible between manufacturers let alone 40+ years.

While something is better than nothing, those are the biggest pieces of junk out there. I've had customers bring them to our shop looking to get tags put on them and they were dead as they took them out of the box in front of us. We refuse to tag them because then we become responsible for them working and they just aren't reliable. Oh and the bracket breaks when it gets cold, just snaps. Get something with a metal valve assembly and avoid Kidde if you can. First Alert has some decent metal valve assembly fire extinguishers that are inexpensive and available at big box stores and places other than a professional Fire Extinguisher service company. For those wanting better go to a Fire Extinguisher service company and get a Badger or Amerex.
The strap has not broken yet. The one in my pic replaced one that had probably been in there 10 plus years. On a farm owned by masons and got the crap kicked out of it regularly. But still... that plastic held in there. Wonder why? What else are you wrong about is all I can think! But I always enjoy a good google cut and paste job!

Never buy a new car.... LOTS OF PLASTIC
Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
a bit off subject, but did you change the direction of your transfer case shifter?
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
a bit off subject, but did you change the direction of your transfer case shifter?
Hey Dazza,

No it's the original 205 stick in the original position. Plus check out my knob. I had a blank engraved at things remembered at the mall. Came out great! Don't think I ever posted pics of it completed, took me a couple passes to get the paint filled in the engraving. Came out great though.

Here I looked up my old thread on the knob. Never posted a pic with the paint completed. Anyhow you all may get a laugh out the engravers misspelling!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=662501

Last edited by jeffahart; 09-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #21
dirtyjim

I have them in all of my vehicles, in my 67 its located on the floorboard at the edge of the seat on the driver side.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #22
Tquillen

Good for all of you guys! I've been in a car, riding down the interstate, when it burst into flames. Not fun, and it makes you appreciate having a fire extinguisher on hand (I didn't).

I build Race cars for a living, specifically drag cars. I only bring this up because when it comes to safety equipment of any kind, the questions I always ask myself when mounting things like fire extinguishers or activation handles, parachute handles, emergency shutdown switches, etc. are:

1. Will the driver be able to use this easily in an emergency situation?
2. If the driver is partially incapacitated, will they be able to find it and use it without being able to visually locate it?
3. If the car is in a wreck, what happens to this piece of equipment and its mount? Does it pose a hazard if the car goes into a roll?

Now, I know this sounds like overkill, but consider that these extinguishers can weigh 7 or 8 pounds when fully charged.....in a bad, bad wreck, these things flying around in the cab can kill you in an instant.

To echo what others have said: keep an extinguisher where you or others can get to it, and mount it as securely as possible without impeding its use.
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tquillen View Post
Good for all of you guys! I've been in a car, riding down the interstate, when it burst into flames. Not fun, and it makes you appreciate having a fire extinguisher on hand (I didn't).

I build Race cars for a living, specifically drag cars. I only bring this up because when it comes to safety equipment of any kind, the questions I always ask myself when mounting things like fire extinguishers or activation handles, parachute handles, emergency shutdown switches, etc. are:

1. Will the driver be able to use this easily in an emergency situation?
2. If the driver is partially incapacitated, will they be able to find it and use it without being able to visually locate it?
3. If the car is in a wreck, what happens to this piece of equipment and its mount? Does it pose a hazard if the car goes into a roll?

Now, I know this sounds like overkill, but consider that these extinguishers can weigh 7 or 8 pounds when fully charged.....in a bad, bad wreck, these things flying around in the cab can kill you in an instant.

To echo what others have said: keep an extinguisher where you or others can get to it, and mount it as securely as possible without impeding its use.
Excellent questions and ones I think about concerning all emergency gear.

I taped one of those spring-loaded window shattering punches to the ceiling arm grab thingie in my daily driver. I put it up in such a way that it will come off easily. It's out of the way, won't move around anywhere, and I can get to it even in total darkness. I practice emergency escapes out of my car from time to time and losing those 20 pounds will help with that.

Talking about cheap-o's, buy the best you can and go on. If that best has a plastic nozzle, well that's fine, those work too.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #24
DT1

I removed my stock glove box and made an oversize one. That's now where I keep my extinguisher.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

I mount to the trans hump in my 4wds or passenger kick panel in my 2wd trucks. The '72 4wd already had one mounted to the kick panel, so that's fine

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote